What's the best dashcam avail for night driving?

dkd56

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a Papago GoSafe 520 worked well but with a few glitches, now I have the Dexors X7 which is great. The X7 has excellent low light performance but like most cams, can be limited by only using the headlights. I'm looking for a dashcam that can see beyond just the bright areas of the headlights, also something with high bitrate. I don't care if it's a memory card hog, the X-7 can take a 128 GB card which I use daily, but I'm after finer detail in the darker areas.

I would like a single channel but if I need to get a 2ch unit then that's fine. I would like to budget $600 for my max so just curious what's the best for high bitrate, high framerate, low light performance.

No current dashcam can see more than just the strongest lit areas from your headlights on a dark rural road, up and coming cameras based on the IMX291 might to do a little more.

BUT ! what little more you can see will just be washed out by motion blur as you drive cuz the cameras will still be using 1:30 second exposure in the low light, and thats not good for anything moving faster than walking speed.

Even of you look at MIL spec low light color cameras on youtube, you will see that yes they do turn night into day, but even those still use a slow exposure time,, so anything fast moving is just a blur.
This is filmed with just the light of the moon.

Low light video and photography is pretty easy as long as things do not move or move very slow, add speed to the mix and it become a nightmare.

......Low light video and photography is pretty easy as long as things do not move or move very slow, add speed to the mix and it become a nightmare....

In the movies, motor racing or sport, the camera pans round so the object of interest - even fast ones - remains roughly in the centre of the field of view. Therefore motion blur of that object is minimal and the background is blurred but we don't notice because that's not what we're interested in.

Also why in dashcam low light footagw what come strait at the lens appear to not suffer much from motion blur, but if you pause footage and look at what go on towards the edge of the footage you will see massive blur as things rush by there.

Ok, I wasnt sure what was avail now as far as higher end low light dashcams. So far my Dexors X7 works extremely well, I'll post a vid this weekend of some footage and I cannot complain, just always looking for something better.

That low-light cmos footage is sick btw. :)

Ok, I wasnt sure what was avail now as far as higher end low light dashcams. So far my Dexors X7 works extremely well, I'll post a vid this weekend of some footage and I cannot complain, just always looking for something better.

no need to post footage, plenty here from the same camera already, it's just a rebadge of a common model here

plenty here from the same camera already, it's just a rebadge of a common model here

Which models are similiar? Just curious as I was searching for "Dexors" and it turned up ltitle information.

Are the other models the exact same as the X7? I'm asking because I don't know.....not trying to be argumentative.

Could we possibly get a Dexors forum?

Thanks.

Which models are similiar? Just curious as I was searching for "Dexors" and it turned up ltitle information.

Are the other models the exact same as the X7? I'm asking because I don't know.....not trying to be argumentative.

Could we possibly get a Dexors forum?

Thanks.
https://dashcamtalk.com/g90/
there you go
My option: G90's night footage seems little dark. Compare to street guardian

Back