What's the best SD card to use?

Reaction score
Country
France
I've had my 522GW for two months; it's hardwired, is currently paired with a SanDisk Extreme 128GB SD card and until about a week ago, it seemed to work perfectly. At this stage, I was prompted to re-format the SD card, but since then I've had nothing but problems with the recording constantly stopping and starting. Nextbase have been next to useless. Despite this being a fairly common fault, as shown by other posts here, they refuse to entertain the notion that there is a problem with the dashcam and have simply advised me to use their own-brand SD card instead. Having already spent 70€ on what appears to be a suitable SD card, I am reluctant to throw good money after bad, especially is there is, as I suspect, an underlying fault.

I've had my 522GW for two months; it's hardwired, is currently paired with a SanDisk Extreme 128GB SD card and until about a week ago, it seemed to work perfectly. At this stage, I was prompted to re-format the SD card, but since then I've had nothing but problems with the recording constantly stopping and starting. Nextbase have been next to useless. Despite this being a fairly common fault, as shown by other posts here, they refuse to entertain the notion that there is a problem with the dashcam and have simply advised me to use their own-brand SD card instead. Having already spent 70€ on what appears to be a suitable SD card, I am reluctant to throw good money after bad, especially is there is, as I suspect, an underlying fault.
Hi Schnauzers Arediennes,

My colleagues answer to your query was correct, unfortunately certain SD cards are not compatible with Dash Cams for very long. We recommend re-formatting your SD cards every 2-3 weeks (depending on quantity of driving) to prolong the life of the card. Every SD card has a usable lifespan and unfortunately a lot of SD cards reach the max usable lifespan earlier due to the continuous writing and over-writing of data.

I'd also double check that your SD card is Dash Cam compatible; most SD cards void the warranty if used within a Dash Cam because of the strenuous overwriting environment. I'd recommend checking the T&Cs of the SD Card to make sure you maintain a warranty.

Have you tried doing a full Format of the SD card on a PC (not a quick format)? This may help rescue your current SD card in the short term.

Kind regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Back