Whats the best UK DashCam?

RonnyTheT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have two Vico Opia2 In car Cameras, but want to buy new Cameras of good quality. Wonder which Dash Cams perform the best in everyone's opinion for purchase in UK?

Image quality is main concern for me.

Ron

Hi Ron,

The term 'best' is subjective. I've run HD RoadHawks at 1080p since 2013 and at the time I thought that they were excellent. The only trouble is that, in my experience, RoadHawks tend to fail after around 13 months! So I asked, in another forum, what a good dashcam was and Kremmen suggested that I have a look at the Viofo A119 V3.

I'm currently very happy with the Viofo A119 V3. I have it set to record in 2560 x 1440P, 30FPS and using a 128GB micro SD card I can get around 9 hours of recording before it starts to overwrite the oldest footage. Daytime and nighttime video are excellent.

So, I don't know the best dashcam for the UK, but the Viofo A119 V3, especially for the price, is currently good enough for me.

By the way, a good dashcam is nothing without an excellent storage card. I'm very happy with the Samsung EVO Plus 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 Memory Card.

Regards,

I'm inclined to agree on the A119v3. Overall it's the best cam today mostly because it has no serious issues. There are cams with better vids, but those all have various issues which prevent me from recommending them at this time. Street Guardian SGGCX2Pro is another good choice, though a bit less on vid quality. Nextbase is popular there but before considering one of their cams you need to read the forums here, as their new series of cams have tons of reported serious issues and they're apparently not being addressed like they used to do in the past.

Phil

Hi Ron,

The term 'best' is subjective. I've run HD RoadHawks at 1080p since 2013 and at the time I thought that they were excellent. The only trouble is that, in my experience, RoadHawks tend to fail after around 13 months! So I asked, in another forum, what a good dashcam was and Kremmen suggested that I have a look at the Viofo A119 V3.

I'm currently very happy with the Viofo A119 V3. I have it set to record in 2560 x 1440P, 30FPS and using a 128GB micro SD card I can get around 9 hours of recording before it starts to overwrite the oldest footage. Daytime and nighttime video are excellent.

So, I don't know the best dashcam for the UK, but the Viofo A119 V3, especially for the price, is currently good enough for me.

By the way, a good dashcam is nothing without an excellent storage card. I'm very happy with the Samsung EVO Plus 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 Memory Card.

Regards,
Thanks for that Robert, especially the mention of the Samsung EVO plus which I have been using as they seem to be more reliable that most others I have used! I will look into the Viofa A119 V3

Regards Ron

I'm inclined to agree on the A119v3. Overall it's the best cam today mostly because it has no serious issues. There are cams with better vids, but those all have various issues which prevent me from recommending them at this time. Street Guardian SGGCX2Pro is another good choice, though a bit less on vid quality. Nextbase is popular there but before considering one of their cams you need to read the forums here, as their new series of cams have tons of reported serious issues and they're apparently not being addressed like they used to do in the past.

Phil
Thanks Phil

I have a couple of friends that use Nextbase units they are all older versions and quite happy with them. I will look at Street Guardian tho adn compare it to A119v3. Thanks.

Regards Ron

The older NB cams were mostly pretty good; the newest ones are not in that same league :( I would not normally mention something like this but NB has a big part of your market and I just didn't want you to discover things the hard way like so many others have done. Any cam purchase should be preceded by your own research on what others who own that cam are experiencing, not just with NB. Every cam will have some kind of issue involved so you need to be sure that whatever that is, it will not prevent you from getting what you need from your cam.

The perfect dashcam has never been built and never will be, but I'm confident that the v3 or any SG cam will not be a disappointment to you.

Phil

Thanks Ph
The older NB cams were mostly pretty good; the newest ones are not in that same league :( I would not normally mention something like this but NB has a big part of your market and I just didn't want you to discover things the hard way like so many others have done. Any cam purchase should be preceded by your own research on what others who own that cam are experiencing, not just with NB. Every cam will have some kind of issue involved so you need to be sure that whatever that is, it will not prevent you from getting what you need from your cam.

The perfect dashcam has never been built and never will be, but I'm confident that the v3 or any SG cam will not be a disappointment to you.

Phil
Thanks Phil, I am looking at those and checking all the strengths and weakness's. But most helpful is other users experience on forums like this

Thanks Ron.

I'm one of those people who takes forever to make up my mind and reads every possible review.
It seems to me that Viofo, whilst far from the cheapest, seem to be best overall in terms of video quality, and reliability or lack of complaints. Nextbase look good on paper but they seem to have poor firmware which spoils the user's experience.
So I am likely to be buying the Viofo Duo Pro: https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a129-pro-duo-4k/

There are a pair of videos talking about and showing how to install the duo camera with the hard wired kit:

I think I would probably have someone install it for me since I would probably damage the trim in my car doing it.

I'm one of those people who takes forever to make up my mind and reads every possible review.
Did you watch the entire 2 hours of those videos? :D

Actually quite good videos, and I like his tool for installing the rear camera cable, but they do take a lot of watching!

I watched his videos at 1.5x or 2x speed because he does woffle a bit! I have the same car, so for the important bits I slowed down to just 1.25x
Note that his switch was not necessary, if you are using the HK3 hardwire kit then you can just long press the menu button to turn it off in parking mode, and then it will automatically restart when you turn the ACC back on.

If you plan on doing parking mode, thats probably not the best choice, but if you just want to drive and record as i know it should be fine.

It's not yet a cam I feel comfortable recommending as it has some unresolved issues, especially with parking mode. But it also has some apparently heat-related issues although in the UK climate this may not be a problem.

Pushing performance levels this high is pushing the technology being used to it's limits and maybe beyond, so I doubt that there will be anything better coming along soon, and AFAIK nobody is doing this better right now than the A129 Pro Duo. The A129 Duo does very well so even with it's lower resolution, it could be a better choice for overall functionality and reliability ;) Sad to say but the current crop of Nextbase cams are nowhere as good as the older ones.

Phil

It seems to me that Viofo, whilst far from the cheapest, seem to be best overall in terms of video quality, and reliability or lack of complaints. Nextbase look good on paper but they seem to have poor firmware which spoils the user's experience.
So I am likely to be buying the Viofo Duo Pro: https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a129-pro-duo-4k/

There are a pair of videos talking about and showing how to install the duo camera with the hard wired kit:

I think I would probably have someone install it for me since I would probably damage the trim in my car doing it.

[/QU
It's not yet a cam I feel comfortable recommending as it has some unresolved issues, especially with parking mode. But it also has some apparently heat-related issues although in the UK climate this may not be a problem.

Pushing performance levels this high is pushing the technology being used to it's limits and maybe beyond, so I doubt that there will be anything better coming along soon, and AFAIK nobody is doing this better right now than the A129 Pro Duo. The A129 Duo does very well so even with it's lower resolution, it could be a better choice for overall functionality and reliability ;) Sad to say but the current crop of Nextbase cams are nowhere as good as the older ones.

Phil
Thanks everyone.

I bit the bullet and got the A119 v3 which is performing very well in our Nissan.

I am considering the A129 Dual Pro for my BMW which has an over run on the 12 volt socket after you stop the vehicle and I will consider putting a power-bank in line with the power circuit and manually engage the parking mode when leaving the car. At the moment I don't have that feature on the Vico Opia2 anyway so haven't missed it.

So thanks to everyone for the advice which has been great.

Regards Ron T

Back