What's the best way to mount a dashcam to a windscreen?

Ashley_E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
K5000/P9000
I'm thinking about buying a vico tf2+premium(or was until niko posted the thread about the vico xf2 dual) and have noticed people saying their footage isnt quite as good as footage viewed online.

Is it better to angle the camera slightly down or straight ahead?

Also, is it better to mount the camera as high as possible up the windscreen?

I drive a toyota auris (2008) and there are dots around the mount to my rear view mirror. I am using a cheap dashcam at the moment and it only comes with a suction cup, so I have to mount it underneath these dots as the suction cup cant grip over them.

If I get either of the vico products they should both come with the 3m sticker mounts shich should mean a lower profile and the lens being closer the the windscreen and reducing glare... cant find any decent vids on youtube about mounting advice so would appreciate some help from the experts...

Regards

Ash

Ashley_E said:
I'm thinking about buying a vico tf2+premium(or was until niko posted the thread about the vico xf2 dual) and have noticed people saying their footage isnt quite as good as footage viewed online.

Is it better to angle the camera slightly down or straight ahead?

Also, is it better to mount the camera as high as possible up the windscreen?

I drive a toyota auris (2008) and there are dots around the mount to my rear view mirror. I am using a cheap dashcam at the moment and it only comes with a suction cup, so I have to mount it underneath these dots as the suction cup cant grip over them.

If I get either of the vico products they should both come with the 3m sticker mounts shich should mean a lower profile and the lens being closer the the windscreen and reducing glare... cant find any decent vids on youtube about mounting advice so would appreciate some help from the experts...

Regards

Ash

If you talking about aiming, not mounting, then check this thread:
How to aim dash cam?

my post:
by niko » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:21 am

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good tips there my friend!!! Many thanks!

Would you say it's better to mount higher and aim down very slightly or mount lower and aim horizontally?

Ashley_E said:
Some good tips there my friend!!! Many thanks!

Would you say it's better to mount higher and aim down very slightly or mount lower and aim horizontally?

If you mount too high, dash camera will be geting more sky, more light, - this way you "screw up" AWB ( auto white balance ), so everything below horizon line ( dark area ) will be even more darker. Best way is to chose normal day ( not too much sun, not too much dark ), first align dash camera 50 / 50 proportion from horizon, record some short rout you know. Then go back to the starting point, align dash camera 40 / 60, again same rout recording, then go back and align 60 / 40, again same rout driving - recording. Go home and check which alignment is best for your dash camera. It will take you in total about an hour to find that perfect angle, but at least you get to know what will be the best result.

Back