What's the Logic Behind Event Recordings?

Wingsy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went for a short test drive with my new N2 Pro in my truck. I pressed the P button a couple of times to test recording of an event. In one saved event I have a recording that ends 30 seconds after I pressed the button. (It begins about 5 mins prior.) In the second event I have 2 recordings. In one of those I have a recording that starts 2.5 minutes prior to pressing the button and ends 2.5 minutes after, and a 2nd recording that starts where that one left off and for another minute or 2 until I reached my destination and shut off the engine. So the question in my mind is, what's the logic behind these saved recordings?

Seems you are testing the video for parking mode.

Critical event detection is triggered by the G-Sensor (Gravity Sensor) and will auto-detect vehicle impacts and collisions. This will cause the camera to protect the current video clip from being overwritten
by locking it and saving the footage in the “Video/Event” folder. The G-Sensor sensitivity is adjustable with 3 settings: Low, Medium, and High – it is set to Medium by default. The G-Sensor can also
be deactivated in “Record Setup”>“G-Sensor Set”. The G-Sensor sensitivity is adjustable with 3 settings: Low, Medium, and High – it is set to Medium by default.

I was not intentionally testing parking mode. I was testing manually recording an event by pressing P. I thought that did the same thing as when the G-sensor triggered recording. (Like, if I saw an accident ahead and wanted to record that event. No G-sensor involved here but I want the event recorded.)

Normally pressing the event button give you 1 saved file, at least with cameras using a memory buffer, so you get xx seconds ( what are in the memory buffer ) + some time after ( this can be different from brands & model cameras.
Other brands / models deal with events on a segment basis, so say i press the event button on my SG camera when i am 40 seconds into one of the 3 minute segments i have set my camera to use, well then i will get the whole current 3 minute file + the previous 3 minute file locked away in the RO folder + a picture from the moment i pressed the event button.
On the other hand if i am 2.5 minutes into a 3 minute segment and press the event button i will still get the current 3 minute file locked away in RO but i will also get the next one, so again 2 X 3 minutes locked as event in RO folder.
Double that on my SG9663DC as it is a dual channel system so i get 2 X 3 minutes from both the front and rear cameras so 4 X 3 minutes in total covering the same 6 minutes in time.

I much prefer this segment basis VS any smaller buffer, cuz you don't need to hurry to hit the button to get the event in the event recordings VS if it is a buffer camera and you wait for XX seconds more than is in the buffer, the event will not be in the locked down event file / files, but in among the regular files and so still prone to overwriting.
I now use the event button for things i want to share, and then let a month or so of events scumelate in the RO folder, before i pull the memory card and make a compilation for my YT channel.

Back