Whats the nexus with SG and Viofo?

LMJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo (not installed yet)
Seems the cams are identical with some iterations? Is it a licensing situation? Different brands ie Acura and Honda and Lexus and Toyota under a common corporate parent? Reverse engineering design theft? Am curious. Thanks in advance.

there are no identical models, we have shared a few things with them, CPL tooling, rear camera housing etc to help offset the cost, beyond that there's some similarities but not the same

So its like a Nissan Mitsubishi and Fiat deal but more limited in scope I guess.

Some similar hardware. Firmware appears to be entirely separate, within the bounds of the chipset SDK.

So its like a Nissan Mitsubishi and Fiat deal but more limited in scope I guess.
Do you mean Renault rather than Fiat?

The Viofo and SG cameras do tend to use the same sensors and processors, but only because they are both making good choices!

They may also look similar on the outside, but they are independent designs on the inside.

I havent heard of anyone trying to load a viofo firmware to a SG camera or vise versa, i don't think it would work.

I havent heard of anyone trying to load a viofo firmware to a SG camera or vise versa, i don't think it would work.
They might succeed in loading the firmware, not much chance of the camera actually doing anything useful though!

it wouldn't work, core hardware is the same on some models but there are too many other differences that would prevent either from working

Back