What's the resolution of the videos recorded by your dash cam?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My dash cam records at 1080P. It can record higher resolution videos but I chose not to because 1080P is good enough for me and high resolution would take up more space on SD card. How about you guys?

All of mine are 1080p, which is their maximum.

Phil

My back records at 1080p/30fps and front 2.7K/30fps.. Happy with these resolutions...

If your camera dont do binning for lower resolutions and so become more light sensitive, then you should use the highest possible resolution and bitrate
You should not conserve memory card space, and surely not if you have a large enough memory card.
Wear and tear on the memory card are just the name of the game, and one day it will be worn out and you need to replace it.

I am on the cusp of starting recommending 128 Gb memory cards instead of 64GB for each camera in a system.

and high resolution would take up more space on SD card.
Space used is independent of resolution.
On most dashcams you can control the space used using the "Quality" or "Bitrate" option.

Often changing the resolution setting will also change the quality and so will affect the space used, but you are nearly always best off using the native resolution of the sensor and select the size you want to use via the "Quality" setting.

Which camera are you using?

Some cameras claim to be 4K when they actually have a lower resolution sensor, so on those reducing the resolution to the sensor resolution will probably be the best choice.

If your camera dont do binning for lower resolutions and so become more light sensitive, then you should use the highest possible resolution and bitrate
You should not conserve memory card space, and surely not if you have a large enough memory card.
Wear and tear on the memory card are just the name of the game, and one day it will be worn out and you need to replace it.

I am on the cusp of starting recommending 128 Gb memory cards instead of 64GB for each camera in a system.
Good point!

My Blackvue DR-900S-2CH records at 2160P/30fps on the front and 1080P/30fps on the back using a 128GB micro SD card.

Below is an example of the front resolution, but if you don't have a 4K monitor, the only good the extra resolution would be is if you needed to "zoom in" on a specific part of an image, like a license plate after an accident or something.

Last edited:
Back