whats the widest angle dashcam

fearlessbob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the widest angle camera i can get, with either one wide angle lens or 2 cameras

following my previous thread, but that was a while ago so i thought i would start againutit

its for work vans, so i would like 230 degree view or more if pos.... so i can see out the side windows..... iv seen a few models with multi cameras that arent available any more

i bought one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B06W5GZYJ7
but i never worked at all and i got a refund

there must be one that exists

i need it to be a suction mount, and be sturdy..... dont really care about any other features, its just to prove to my bosses that an accident wasn't my fault if i have one...... again

cheers
joe

The widest angle single cams push hard to get 160 degrees of useful video in reality. Most cams claim much but deliver little in this department and the only claims I believe are from Möbius, Street Guardian, and Viofo. No matter their claim, most of the rest push hard to get 120 degrees with a lot doing less. If you want wider coverage you'll need more than one cam.

Mounted high and centered, even a 120 degree cam takes in enough to show what really happened in almost every case. Any cam will show what you did, and that alone is often enough even if there's little view of the other vehicle, for if you were doing nothing wrong then the fault has to be elsewhere. Just remember that your errors will show up equally well with a dashcams, and they can demand to have your footage of at least a few minutes of your prior driving, not just the incident itself. A cam alone won't save you- you have to do your part too.

There used to be 2-in-1 cams made for wide coverage but they weren't that good and are long out of production. Two good cams and two good 64GB cards for 8+ hours of recording time can cost under $200. Only a few will mount well when aimed to one side like you'll need to be doing so keep that in mind when choosing them and study actual videos to determine the actual FOV width to see if it suits you. Also consider how much you drive at night- most older sensors don't handle that well but can do good in daylight.

I have 4 cams in my work van and like the coverage a lot. Nearly anything that another car does will have a history on at least one cam and maybe three. It won't prevent anything but it will keep them from getting away with lying about it and that's all I need, as those same cams will show me driving well and legally.

Phil

Back