What's up with the lack of VAVA info here?

Triggerfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious, why is VAVA almost non-existent on these forums? The 2K camera is unique and they have what appears to be amazing customer service.

Am I missing something here?

Just curious, why is VAVA almost non-existent on these forums? The 2K camera is unique and they have what appears to be amazing customer service.

Am I missing something here?

This (DCT) is a free dash camera website that is comprised of people that like dash cameras and often review ones that are sent to them free of charge by the manufacturer or ones that they are just personally involved with because they like doing it. It is not there primary job so have no reason to comply to persons such as yourself when you want one personally reviewed. You should spend some time here and find out who the individuals are that could do a review for you if they choose to, then you could send them a personal message and conduct your business with them in regard to " Am I missing something here?".
There is also a Members Link in the above heading that will inform you who the members and administrators are that would give you some reference.

This forum have many experienced users and these experienced users are not seeing the advantages of VAVA, so not buying it, so it is not in the discussions of this forum. VAVA is not some great camera even it have so much advertising, because its CMOS is just a cheap OV4689 CMOS (which is not a Sony!) which is used even on some $30 dashcams.

Here is a thread and review @USDashCamera member with 4 years of activity here. As you can see, just 3-4 posts about VAVA. Some other brands unknown for Average Joe have hundreds of posts. And there is a reason for such difference between VAVA and that dashcams.

enjoy,
Mtz

If OV4689 is so cheap, why does US$200 Vanture N2 Pro adopt OV4689 for front and IMX323 for rear?

If OV4689 is so cheap, why does US$69.99 Anker Roav C1 adopt IMX323 and US$89.99 Anker Roav C1 Pro adopt OV4689?

This (DCT) is a free dash camera website that is comprised of people that like dash cameras and often review ones that are sent to them free of charge by the manufacturer or ones that they are just personally involved with because they like doing it. It is not there primary job so have no reason to comply to persons such as yourself when you want one personally reviewed. You should spend some time here and find out who the individuals are that could do a review for you if they choose to, then you could send them a personal message and conduct your business with them in regard to " Am I missing something here?".
There is also a Members Link in the above heading that will inform you who the members and administrators are that would give you some reference.

Your reply is comical and strange. I am not asking for anyone to "comply" with anything nor do I care of anyone to review it, nor am I asking anyone to do such. Then instructing me to "spend time here" is ridiculous, I've been a member since 2015 and have owned over 10 dashcams and at least 5 brands. I can provide my own input to the forums as a normal member, and normal being all topics and brands that are out there. Your personal response is again, unnecessary and weird.

I had a good friend of mine ask me about VAVA, and I was not familiar with it. It appears to be well represented on Amazon, hence the reason I thought there would be more talk about it here. Just found it curious that there was hardly any. In my experiences, I have seen brands threaten websites about negative talk about their brand and in turn submit "cease and desist" letters which in turn made the website police and delete anything about a particular brand. While this is a rare tactic by businesses to do this, it does happen and it can make finding independent information and reviews about a brand hard to find.

That being said, talk about VAVA if you want, I could care less.

Have fun and be safe.

Last edited:
This forum have many experienced users and these experienced users are not seeing the advantages of VAVA, so not buying it, so it is not in the discussions of this forum. VAVA is not some great camera even it have so much advertising, because its CMOS is just a cheap OV4689 CMOS (which is not a Sony!) which is used even on some $30 dashcams.

Here is a thread and review @USDashCamera member with 4 years of activity here. As you can see, just 3-4 posts about VAVA. Some other brands unknown for Average Joe have hundreds of posts. And there is a reason for such difference between VAVA and that dashcams.

enjoy,
Mtz

I've seen some decent 2K video from the VAVA 2K, but it most definitely suffers at night. While I don't think it's worth the $140, it's somewhat compelling in the $90-100 range for those that want something simple.

Let me reiterate, this is not for me. I currently own and run Blackvue DR-900's (2 of my cars), Viofo A119's, and I snagged a Rove R2-4K on the cheap for travel/backup. I have also owned several other brands such as transcend and Anker Roav in the past to name a few.

I think its just a matter of not many in here have taken the plunge in a VAVA camera, as far as my flaky brain tell i have just seen one mention of the puck shaped model ( don't know if they have other cameras )

If OV4689 is so cheap, why does US$200 Vanture N2 Pro adopt OV4689 for front and IMX323 for rear?

The N2 Pro uses IR for the interior, or 'rear' cam and the IMX323 does very good with that. The OV 4689 in front is adequate for most dashcam purposes; it's an older sensor which Vantrue hasn't changed in the few years this cam has been on the market. Cost of the cam includes much more than just the sensors so you can't judge price vs sensors directly though sensor choice is an important consideration.

There are many dashcams which have scant coverage on DCT, and some of them are pretty good cams while many aren't. It's all user-created content in the forum section here so unless a member has a cam and reports on it or reviews it there won't be anything on it. If you have a VAVA then share your thoughts with us- that's how it's done here. That might generate enough interest for enough people to try it, and maybe even get it's own forum if it's popular enough.

I reviewed a 'bargain' cam here which was a very good value, and had hoped that some others would give it a try. That didn't happen nor did it garner enough sales to remain in production. Perhaps folks here and elsewhere didn't like the old form-factor, or decided to purchase a less costly battery-equipped version, or maybe they desired more performance. I still feel that I didn't waste my time reviewing that cam and now it's probably the only info you'll ever find on it, so should someone happen across one on the used market, they will have something to go on when doing their research. This is what almost every member here does- if we find something we share knowledge about it. If none of us have that cam then we have nothing to share. So rather than bemoaning that the VAVA isn't well-represented here, why not try our approach; get one and tell us about it. I and many others will certainly read what you post.

Phil

I was pretty positive about the Vava2k in my review. Although I don't remember it ever being $140 like it is now. I swear it was $120 when I reviewed it. Looking at price history it seems like both the 2k model and 1080p model have been price hiked $20 each due to christmas time. I think $120 was probably the most I would pay for it. $100 would be a good price IMO. I compared the A119 side by side with the Vava and thought the differences in quality were negligible. A119 has a better form factor if you are only going to use it in one car ever, but the vava I like enough that I use it in my work trucks and can easily move them between trucks.

The A119 V2 is still very popular and recommended by many people. It is still $80-100 on amazon and uses the same OV4689 sensor, to me the vava 2k is like having an A119 with wifi and a suction cup mount. the smart phone app works really well, and the camera felt like good quality. It felt like better build quality than any viofo camera too IMO (except the new A129, which feels like a jump in build quality for Viofo). I liked this cam enough that i put it on my top 10 list recently. I have tested several cams this year less than $100 that had WiFi but not as good video quality. I hated the design when I first saw it, but once I received it and held it in my hand I liked the design as a suction cup based dash cam. the magnetic connector makes it very easy to adjust and record inside your car when needed too. This is all just based on my experience with the cams I have reviewed though, I don't filter through the hundreds of cheaper no-name dash cams out there typically unless they provide something unique. Sometimes they use the same sensors as more expensive cams but don't have the same quality video.

Although this all depends on whether or not you want a suction cup mount. In my personal cars I never use suction cup mount cams, I prefer ones that are more discrete and use adhesive mounts like the A119, Blackvue, Thinkware cams.

Last edited:
The N2 Pro uses IR for the interior, or 'rear' cam and the IMX323 does very good with that. The OV 4689 in front is adequate for most dashcam purposes; it's an older sensor which Vantrue hasn't changed in the few years this cam has been on the market. Cost of the cam includes much more than just the sensors so you can't judge price vs sensors directly though sensor choice is an important consideration.

There are many dashcams which have scant coverage on DCT, and some of them are pretty good cams while many aren't. It's all user-created content in the forum section here so unless a member has a cam and reports on it or reviews it there won't be anything on it. If you have a VAVA then share your thoughts with us- that's how it's done here. That might generate enough interest for enough people to try it, and maybe even get it's own forum if it's popular enough.

I reviewed a 'bargain' cam here which was a very good value, and had hoped that some others would give it a try. That didn't happen nor did it garner enough sales to remain in production. Perhaps folks here and elsewhere didn't like the old form-factor, or decided to purchase a less costly battery-equipped version, or maybe they desired more performance. I still feel that I didn't waste my time reviewing that cam and now it's probably the only info you'll ever find on it, so should someone happen across one on the used market, they will have something to go on when doing their research. This is what almost every member here does- if we find something we share knowledge about it. If none of us have that cam then we have nothing to share. So rather than bemoaning that the VAVA isn't well-represented here, why not try our approach; get one and tell us about it. I and many others will certainly read what you post.

Phil
1, I don't sell VAVA, but my intuition(based on the knowledge I accumulated in this industry in past years) tells me that it is not bad at least, furthermore, I am always full of respect to all "original designs", it is worthy of respect indeed;

2, I agree that the camera can't be judged by sensor only although image sensor belongs to one of 3 key elements of a camera ( chip, sensor, lens ), but an undisputed fact is, OV4689 is not a low end sensor, obviously its product positioning of OV4689 is higher than IMX323.

3, Meanwhile, I fully understand that Sony is good at making excellent image sensors, but, either overly worship them or devalue others is definitely crossed the line.

enjoy,
Mtz

I'm sorry, but I own a VAVA now and can tell you that you are flat out wrong. The Vava is a great camera and is much better than many cameras that are discussed on these forums.

I'm sorry, but I own a VAVA now and can tell you that you are flat out wrong. The Vava is a great camera and is much better than many cameras that are discussed on these forums.

With information on it so scant here, it would be nice if you could post some vids under various circumstances and tell us what you like most and least about it :) Always good to know more, and on this one I don't know as much as I'd like to.

Phil

What do you expect from an OV4689 CMOS? ;) Do you think that VAVA are receiving some special OV4689 CMOS which will offer fantastic videos?
After I saw a lot of advertising from VAVA I was disappointed when I saw the image sensor they are using. I was expecting they to use something special never used before, not a CMOS made 5 years ago. I didn't expect from a manufacturer which is using a so old an cheap image sensor to use high quality lens very expensive.
VAVA is just a marketing company and compared to ”many cameras that are discussed on these forums ” they are not interested about specs but how to create a good image about VAVA brand. It can be a good dashcam for all the people who bought it, depending on expectations.

enjoy,
Mtz

VAVA 4K will be based on the Amba H22 + Sony IMX317 solution.

That don't sound like a bad combination, though i am not sure the IMX317 will be the best solution in regard to low light performance, a IMX 377 would see me more exited.

i am not sure the IMX317 will be the best solution in regard to low light performance, a IMX 377 would see me more exited.
Why? The IMX317 has larger pixels than the IMX377 (1.62 vs 1.55).

Why? The IMX317 has larger pixels than the IMX377 (1.62 vs 1.55).
It also has less pixels, which means it is less likely to overheat, although if you don't want it to overheat then you probably don't use an Amberella processer! Presumably it's only single channel?

Back