Whats wrong with this parking mode video LK-7900? AC27 firmware

makkan00

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys
My Lk-7900 works fine in driving mode. I think that night time recording can be improved but I'm not sure what attributes should I change?

I have recently installed the hardwire method and tested the parking mode.
I have a bit of problem and not sure if its the camera or AC27 firmware. Can somebody kindly confirm by testing their LK-7900 in the parking mode and preferably in the night time?

Here is the video and if you see at the bottom, when the camera detects the motion, the sharpness of the video becomes very smooth /flat for few seconds and then returns to its original settings.
I can confirm that it happens on all the videos. I am yet to check the day time video.

Any comments / suggestions?

Looks really good and sharp if you ask me, not sure what is your problem. I was not really able to see the flat smooth video that you were talking about. Maybe its YouTube thing that I can't see. But otherwise I wish I could have the same clarity in Parking Mode. Hope others can see what I can't but as far as I can tell I would not change anything.

Remember the cam's video file format is compressed. The compression algorithm has to decide what details to toss and what to keep - based on motion and detail - to keep the file size smallest.
I believe you are seeing the compression algorithm at work, and there's nothing wrong in what you are noticing - keep higher detail on moving objects.

You could try different video quality settings?

Having a high-speed SD card, one that actually meets spec (Class 10 or higher) is essential. Many people are using cheap, slow cards. If you overspeed the SD card, I think the cam lowers video quality or there are hiccups as it can't buffer the video to suit the slow card. Hence the factory default speed is 9MB/sec.
In other words, using a 9MB/sec SD card and setting video quality to 11MB/sec can give worse results.

I'm not sure what affects the Lukas codec decisions. I also haven't tried switching off EVR rendering.

Guys
My Lk-7900 works fine in driving mode. I think that night time recording can be improved but I'm not sure what attributes should I change?

I have recently installed the hardwire method and tested the parking mode.
I have a bit of problem and not sure if its the camera or AC27 firmware. Can somebody kindly confirm by testing their LK-7900 in the parking mode and preferably in the night time?

Here is the video and if you see at the bottom, when the camera detects the motion, the sharpness of the video becomes very smooth /flat for few seconds and then returns to its original settings.
I can confirm that it happens on all the videos. I am yet to check the day time video.

Any comments / suggestions?

I have the exact same problem as you are describing, when I used the AC27 , and same issue with the AC29 firmware version, but only in parking mode... Although yours is very subtle, and hard to make out, my video in parking mode will start off very sharp, and then quickly soften then back to sharp again... This does not happen in driving mode, as that video quality is constantly good. This problem should be addressed by Lukas.. If I think of it sometime this week, I will post my video in parking mode, to show how the contrast changes constantly from sharp to very soft to sharp again.
I use a very fast class 10 SD card, as well as have the highest image quality selected.

I have the exact same problem as you are describing, when I used the AC27 , and same issue with the AC29 firmware version, but only in parking mode... Although yours is very subtle, and hard to make out, my video in parking mode will start off very sharp, and then quickly soften then back to sharp again... This does not happen in driving mode, as that video quality is constantly good. This problem should be addressed by Lukas.. If I think of it sometime this week, I will post my video in parking mode, to show how the contrast changes constantly from sharp to very soft to sharp again.
I use a very fast class 10 SD card, as well as have the highest image quality selected.
That is exactly what happens with mine.
I have uploaded the raw video for the guys to watch it.
Link
http://rapidshare.com/share/D99EA8FABCA67D5B43898586EB7906BF

Looks really good and sharp if you ask me, not sure what is your problem. I was not really able to see the flat smooth video that you were talking about. Maybe its YouTube thing that I can't see. But otherwise I wish I could have the same clarity in Parking Mode. Hope others can see what I can't but as far as I can tell I would not change anything.
I've uploaded the raw video clip and hopefully you will be able to notice that.

Remember the cam's video file format is compressed. The compression algorithm has to decide what details to toss and what to keep - based on motion and detail - to keep the file size smallest.
I believe you are seeing the compression algorithm at work, and there's nothing wrong in what you are noticing - keep higher detail on moving objects.
A good theory to explain and it make sense.

You could try different video quality settings?
I am on max settings. I should try to lower the settings and see what happens.

Having a high-speed SD card, one that actually meets spec (Class 10 or higher) is essential. Many people are using cheap, slow cards. If you overspeed the SD card, I think the cam lowers video quality or there are hiccups as it can't buffer the video to suit the slow card. Hence the factory default speed is 9MB/sec.
In other words, using a 9MB/sec SD card and setting video quality to 11MB/sec can give worse results.

I'm not sure what affects the Lukas codec decisions. I also haven't tried switching off EVR rendering.

I'm using Lukas card which is provided by them. And they says that their memory cards are optimum to work with their dashcams. So I exclude the card out of it.

Re: EVR, I am in the same boat as you are and have not switched it off.

I watched the raw file you posted and it is noticable the change but I would say it gets sharper when switching to motion mode. Watch the writing on the machine it goes sharp.

Ok
If you notice the time stamp in the right hand bottom corner, the blurriness appears on 19: 25: 19 and it correct itself on 19: 25: 23. So it approx 4 seconds.

Now try to read the stuff written on the top left side of the screen (hyperlink) and on the white cart machine in the center of the screen. You will struggle to reach the thin font or the one which is not bold.
I am not sure what is that though and how to tackle it.

Thanks.

Did you try lower bitrate? Which settings do you have on sharpness, brightness and so on? It looks like it's the autofocusing?

Back