When blowing the air horn and screaming profanities is a better option. Classic car vs Truck PA/US

You didn't need to damage the nice car, it's not the car's fault that it had that driver!

That was a very smoky truck at the end! Are USA trucks still allowed to cause that sort of pollution?

You're actually more prone to see that level of black smoke coming from a diesel pickup truck.....often...intentionally.

I think only California has any emission testing for large trucks out of the 50 states, and California has banned older trucks/engines from operating in the state.

I like the 2 door GM cars of that era. I had a beat up '69 chevelle for a few years.. :)

We haven't seen smoke like that here since the Russians sailed their aircraft carrier down the English Channel!

Good lord, does the Russian Navy recruit US rednecks for the engine room?

Last edited:
The Russians don't do it intentionally, that is their only aircraft carrier and it's getting a bit ancient, has to be accompanied by a tug or two everywhere it goes ready for when it needs a tow!

There was a bit of discussion on the reasons in Russia when they saw the UK video of it passing the nice clean white cliffs of Dover:

For several days the mission of our country’s only air carrier to the shores of Syria is the subject of discussion in Europe and Russia. One of her most notable features, in the literal and figurative sense, has become the thick smoke the ship spews, through which the movement of the cruiser "Admiral Kuznetsov" can be easily tracked even from space. Why this modern aircraft carrier smokes like the old steamers?

the pickup trucks who do the 'smoke' thing have an aftermarket, onboard engine 'tuner' they can manipulate to generate the black smoke.

Same with big trucks, black smoke is fuel, gray, oil, white, coolant.

Sometimes you can even smell the coolant as the truck passes. Worse case scenario is getting covered by unburned fuel from a passing truck.

the pickup trucks who do the 'smoke' thing have an aftermarket, onboard engine 'tuner' they can manipulate to generate the black smoke.

Same with big trucks, black smoke is fuel, gray, oil, white, coolant.

Sometimes you can even smell the coolant as the truck passes. Worse case scenario is getting covered by unburned fuel from a passing truck.
Don't think it is possible for an HGV to produce smoke here, unless fitted with a clean air emulator to cheat the emissions standards, but that can get you into trouble: https://thetruckexpert.co.uk/more-than-100-lorry-operators-caught-with-emissions-cheat-devices/

I think in the US only California has emissions checks on large trucks. This is kind a sore point in the US, and many truckers and trucking companies avoid running in California. The enforcement is sporadic. I don't go into California much, but have a modern truck that meets the CA standards.
There are some federal standards that mostly cover newly manufactured engines.
A wierd quirk in the US is the 'glider kit' loophole.
"glider kits' are basically a new truck cab and frame, no engine, directly sold from the manufacturer.
You install a pre-emissions (Old) engine, and you are legal to operate that 'new' truck in 47 of the lower 48 States of the US. (Not california)
The newer lower emission engines have an extremely high rate of failure, and problems, and high maintenance costs.

Small companies and owner operators who can avoid going into California have pumped the 'glider kit' market up pretty substantially.
(the used truck market also sees people hunting for the old pre-emissions trucks)

I do not follow the laws on this stuff closely, but Trump is planning on ending some of the regulations that were going to phase out the continued use of pre-emission truck engines. FWIW, it's possible to get 2 million miles of use out of the older engines with a modest amount of maintenance and rebuild costs, with acceptable MPG)

The engine manufacturers didn't come up with good solutions to the increased emission standards. Some of the earlier lower emission engines were total crap. They've gotten slightly better.

Trucker just slammed the door on that nice 442, that was not nice at all.
But i totally empathize with nice drivers who A holes push in front of and sort of force them to let off the throttle to let them in.

on the other hand 442 driver was stupid too, why slam into the semi on purpose like that, you was denied,,,, fine,,,,, deal with it, but dont ruin your nice car.

Its rare to see a smoker truck here, but they do like to fiddle with their exhausts systems so you can really hear the big diesel engines,,,,, and thats not legal, a semi can only be a few db louder then a car ( car 75 semi and other large diesel things 77 db ( a )
Then again the law on this as so many other laws here are totally ****ed up by pencil pushers not knowing nothing about nothing, so the law are extremely ambiguous.

Both drivers should be shot. Old car didn't even have a right side mirror to start with.

I noticed the lack of side mirror on the 442 as well, but the truck driver acting clueless with the "what's goin on" comment.... she knew, she reacted to the first nudge before continuing on to pit the 442, but even with that, I don't think she should have been cited, 442 driver needed to be taught a hard lesson, but to learn it in that car can only have been more painful

I think only California has any emission testing for large trucks out of the 50 states, and California has banned older trucks/engines from operating in the state.

I believe California also has a phone number for reporting cars with obvious emissions issues, something I wish we had here.

Ontario has had emission testing for a few years. You need to get your vehicle tested if 5 years or older, every few years. Even with the emission testing there are still smokey vehicles on the road.

Good lord, does the Russian Navy recruit US rednecks for the engine room?

Not just their Navy, this was one of their cargo ships being towed off our beach today, clearly their smoky engine couldn't overpower our wind!

The Kuzma Minin grounded off Gyllyngvase Beach

_104862326_getty_ship.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-46602615

Back