When Can We Expect the A129 Pro / 4K?

If someone lives in a hot as hell place, also have experience for testing dash cam, can contact us to get a sample to check.

For a 4K + Full HD dashcam, the camera is very hot is normal, we need to make sure it can keep recording for a long time.

I live in Saudi Arabia and it gets 45°c and above easy during July, August and September. I can test the new camera if you are interested.

Do we have a ballpark price range? I was looking to replace my 119-S with a 129 Duo kit. But was told to wait for the 129 Pro kit and see if I like it better. After seeing the testing footage. I think I'll go for the 129 Pro kit. But am wondering what I should expect cost wise.

Do we have a ballpark price range? I was looking to replace my 119-S with a 129 Duo kit. But was told to wait for the 129 Pro kit and see if I like it better. After seeing the testing footage. I think I'll go for the 129 Pro kit. But am wondering what I should expect cost wise.
It has a bigger and higher resolution sensor.
It has a bigger and higher resolution lens.
It has a more powerful processor.
It has a bigger cooling system.
It has a faster wifi.

It would be surprising if it didn't cost a little more!

We will have to wait a little longer to find out how much, but Viofo prices are always good value.

I think the A129 Pro should have its form factor redesigned to accommodate an optional heat sink. Heat sinks are a very reliable way to pull heat away from sensitive components, but they stop working above a certain atmospheric/environment temperature (due to having no place for excess heat to go).

Last edited:
I think the A129 Pro should have its form factor redesigned to accommodate an optional heat sink. Heat sinks are a very reliable way to pull heat away from sensitive components, but they stop working above a certain atmospheric/environment temperature (due to having no place for excess heat to go).
Why do you think the A129 Pro does not have a heat sink? :unsure:

Why do you think the A129 Pro does not have a heat sink? :unsure:

The fact that I don't see any metal fins protruding from the case? :p (Point being, a heat sink that's fully ensconced by a plastic case, even with air vent holes, is less efficient than a fully exposed heat sink)

The fact that I don't see any metal fins protruding from the case? :p (Point being, a heat sink that's fully ensconced by a plastic case, even with air vent holes, is less efficient than a fully exposed heat sink)
Not necessarily true, many devices don't have external fins, eg my computer, my car's radiator, etc.
To get good cooling from fins, they need to be close to the source of the heat and have good airflow over them.

P.S. For anyone going looking for fins on or in the A129 Pro, you may be a bit disappointed, that's not how it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: EGS
I for one would not want fins on a device in front of someone's head. It would be bad enough to hit your head on the windscreen in an accident and certainly would not want a devices cooling fins that would inflict even more injury.

Also you don't want a heatsink out of the case exposed directly to sun,behind a glass surface..

If someone lives in a hot as hell place, also have experience for testing dash cam, can contact us to get a sample to check.

For a 4K + Full HD dashcam, the camera is very hot is normal, we need to make sure it can keep recording for a long time.
I live in Texas, US where temperatures are very hot right now (+- 100deg Fahrenheit) even in the shade and high humidity is a factor that makes high temperatures feel even worse. This would be ideal to test one of them and I'm willing to do so and report back the findings if you allow me to.

I live in Texas where the heat gets more than 100+ F, my car is out all day with no cover. Car is also hardwired so it can be recording as long as it can.

Release it already :D we are waiting soooo long

Release it already :D we are waiting soooo long
Still some things to work on. It's only been a few months since it was announced.

April is pretty much far away :LOL: yeah i am hyped about it lol

I guess we have an update on the release of the Viofo 129 Pro Duo. :D
Found on Viofos Facebook Page a Post, which is to date one weeks old, stating that the Pro Duo will hopefully be released this month.
2019-09-09.png
Given it is a 4K cam with its high quality Sony Exmor R Sensor and adequate processessing unit It won't be super cheap.
I expect its price range to be around US$ 300,- (maybe not at the very beginning). Thats still a very reasonable price compared to its competitors with their so claimed 4K dash cams.
Wholesaler can already purchase the cam through online distribution channels.

Last edited:
Testing is still in progress - with new models there are always discoveries that need tweaking before release.

Already those of us that are doing this have fed back info to help Viofo prepare for the release.

There's no fixed date just yet though.

Given it is a 4K cam with its high quality Sony Starvis Sensor
The A129 Pro video samples we have seen do not use a Starvis sensor

The actual sensor is a Sony Exmor R

The actual sensor is a Sony Exmor R
You and Tony are right it is an back-illuminated Exmor R Sensor but not a Starvis-Sensor.
Thanks for pointing that out! I changed the text to not to confuse anyone.
But still a fantastic Sensor which also Sony uses in their very own Flagship Action cam.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 5 mit Tapatalk

Testing is still in progress - with new models there are always discoveries that need tweaking before release.

Already those of us that are doing this have fed back info to help Viofo prepare for the release.

There's no fixed date just yet though.
Hi Paul, as you see in the Screenshot did Viofo make the Statement to hopefully release it this month. In addition as a Wholesaler you can already buy the cams in lots of 20+ at online platforms with a lead time of 3-5 days.
Maybe Viofo considers fixing remaining minor issues in upcoming firmware updates.
But they cannot just sit and watch how others keep the 4K market for themselves, with most likely higher margins.
See it like a bottle of good wine - it gets better with age (and Firmware updates [emoji16])
Cheers [emoji485]

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 5 mit Tapatalk

Back