Where and how did you mount rear camera?

Smiley

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119V.1(1), A119V.2 (6), A119V3 (1)
I now recognize how critical a camera for the back of the car is–but it's proving quite a challenge. I have a 2009 Camry whose rear window is completely wired for defrosting with no room for a stick-on camera mount. As well, behind the rear seat there is a heating duct and the brake light which protruded upwards quite a bit. Since easy access to the camera is important for monitoring and checking sd cards, it needs to be easy to get to as well. Reading many of the posts, it sounds like one is better off using a regular camera for the rear rather than selecting one that is said to be made for the rear, since generally the video quality is better with a regular camera. I've tried several methods but settled on an elevated suction mount, seen in the pictures, for now. It is visible in the rearview mirror but a Viofo A119 is somewhat small so it does not interfere much with vision. It also is anything but stealthy,IMG_2972.JPG IMG_2986a.jpg although I am planning to paint the wood a dark gray color. Any suggestions? Thanking you in advance. Harry

I always thought sedans were the easiest for mounting rear cameras. Could you take some more pictures of the back of your car? Trunk open, shut, around the pillars, etc, just so anyone not familiar with your car can see all your options.

Can you feel the heater wires when you rub your finger over them? If they are well within the glass itself you shouldn't damage them by sticking a camera over them or removing it later. If you can feel them though then I wouldn't risk it.

Hello and thank you for your reply. I have attached a few pictures. The heater wires are on the surface, and I just happen to have had the car serviced this week and the mechanic stated that I should NOT cover the wires. There are only three spots that I can see to attach the camera to the window. The first would be at the bottom, but because it is so far away the camera would not be easily accessible for checking or disc rotation. The second is up on the left at the edge of the window, which is not ideal because it is not centered. The third and most likely candidate would be all the way the top in the center where the black tinting is, but the most I could get would be a 1 inch space to attach the camera to. That seems like the best bet once I get a piece of wood that I can use, as the camera itself has a mount that is too wide to fit the space. Any thoughts? Thanks.

IMG_1685a.jpg IMG_1686a.jpg IMG_1687a.jpg IMG_1688a2.jpg

Have you considered a small camera attached to the headliner above the window?

Attaching a camera to the headliner above the window seems like a good option here and the A119 would lend itself well to that method.

Liking the thread- a really good addition to the one regarding general (usually front) mounting :D

This obviously won't work for most folks but here's mine:
p8240028-jpg.25526

Phil

I use a Mobius in the rear, mounted to the headliner at the top of the window. (I drive a pick-up truck.)
I may eventuality replace it with a wedge style camera like the SG9665GC or A119 mounted in the same spot.
mobius_rear_mount .jpg

Have you considered a small camera attached to the headliner above the window?
Hello.
Yes, Thanks for that suggestion, I see that a number of people have done that quite successfully. I'm not technically inclined. I already had purchased another Viofo A119 for the rear–I have them in the front of all my cars–and as I recall the ratings for some of the very small rear mounted cameras leaves something to be desired. The headliner in the Camry seems pretty flimsy and discussing it with my mechanic, he felt it would be best if it could be attached to the rear window somehow. Also, it might be easier to remove the camera from the window to take on vacations to use in rental cars when we are away. With the A119 I could leave the GPS mount on the window and simply take the camera with me on trips.

Last edited:
Hello.
Yes, Thanks, I thought of that, but I already had purchased another Viofo A119 for the rear–I have them in the front of all my cars–and as I recall the ratings for some of the small rear mounted cameras leaves something to be desired. The headliner in the Camry seems pretty flimsy and discussing it with my mechanic, he felt it would be best if it could be attached to the rear window somehow.

I used some drillable, sandable epoxy putty behind my headliner which cured the flimsiness problem and provided a strong support than I could put screws into. Proper application of the putty makes for a clean install that you would never know was there.

Others have dealt with the same issue by installing a metal bracket behind the headliner and using neodymium magnets on the mounting plate of a wedge shaped camera such as the A118/A119 or SG9665GC.

This may help. The challenge I faced for a rear camera was wanting to mount it on the window of a camper shell on a mid-sized pickup. No power available without tapping into a taillight or some such. My solution was the SGZC12RC. It has a very small camera, really just a little bigger than a chap stick, with the control unit with the monitor fitted on the center console. Because the fastening platform for the remote camera is proportionally small I think it would fit on the window between the heating wires. The exact dimensions you could get from the seller. There is a very long cable available so you can mount the monitor pretty much wherever you want.

This is really a very nice camera and I am planning on using another for the front in another vehicle just because I like the form factor and the video quality seems very good. As you will learn if you check it out, this camera does not have GPS available, which is fine with me because my front camera does.

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Bill_c1/media/Dashcam%205_zpsew1arblt.jpg.html][/URL
]
[/URL]

This may help. The challenge I faced for a rear camera was wanting to mount it on the window of a camper shell on a mid-sized pickup. No power available without tapping into a taillight or some such. My solution was the SGZC12RC. It has a very small camera, really just a little bigger than a chap stick, with the control unit with the monitor fitted on the center console. Because the fastening platform for the remote camera is proportionally small I think it would fit on the window between the heating wires. The exact dimensions you could get from the seller. There is a very long cable available so you can mount the monitor pretty much wherever you want.

This is really a very nice camera and I am planning on using another for the front in another vehicle just because I like the form factor and the video quality seems very good. As you will learn if you check it out, this camera does not have GPS available, which is fine with me because my front camera does.

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

What method did you use to pass the camera's cable through from your pick-up cab back to the camper shell?

My method - I still consider it as 'intrim' although it has been about a year since I put it in; and, it works so well I may never get around to making something more permanent. The method was simply to run the cable along the roof of the camper (inside of course) and then through the sliding windows on the camper shell and the truck. Where the cable passes outside from window to window (just three or four inches) I have it wrapped in electrician's tape. The windows are now very slightly ajar but I haven't had a problem with water getting into either shell or truck. The cable is just long enough to then lay under the center console and out just below the power plug on the dash.

My original plan was to have it shrouded and run along the underside and then through a vent into the cab. I could still do that but it wouldn't make it work any better so it probably is the way it is going to stay.

Edit note - I would like to have quoted Dashmellow so he is notified I have responded to his question, but, it's not clear to me how to accomplish that. I'll figure it out but slowly so meanwhile I'll just hope he sees the post. And thank you for the thank you's. They were a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
Bill_c, I like your avatar remembering Pogo from my early days. I guess that's showing my age though :p Dashmellow will be back around, don't worry, he stays on top of all things dashcam.

On the lower right of each post is "reply"in blue- click on that and it will quote that post. You can also quote only a portion after that by highlighting what you don't want then hitting the "backspace" button on your keyboard ;)

Phil

Edit note - I would like to have quoted Dashmellow so he is notified I have responded to his question, but, it's not clear to me how to accomplish that. I'll figure it out but slowly so meanwhile I'll just hope he sees the post. And thank you for the thank you's. They were a pleasant surprise.
If you want to mention a specific forum member in any post, just type "@" followed by their forum name, thus "@Bill_c"

My method - I still consider it as 'intrim' although it has been about a year since I put it in; and, it works so well I may never get around to making something more permanent. The method was simply to run the cable along the roof of the camper (inside of course) and then through the sliding windows on the camper shell and the truck. Where the cable passes outside from window to window (just three or four inches) I have it wrapped in electrician's tape. The windows are now very slightly ajar but I haven't had a problem with water getting into either shell or truck. The cable is just long enough to then lay under the center console and out just below the power plug on the dash.

My original plan was to have it shrouded and run along the underside and then through a vent into the cab. I could still do that but it wouldn't make it work any better so it probably is the way it is going to stay.

Thanks for your reply @Bill_c .

My previous pick-up truck had a fiberglass cap over the bed and that's why I was wondering what solution you came up with to the challenge of running a cable from the cab back to the rear of your shell. Now and again I've considered installing a cap on my current truck but with the weather conditions where I live I think leaving the rear cab window ajar might present a problem. I guess if I were to install a camera all the way in the back I think I would probably have to bite the bullet and drill an access hole using waterproofing grommets for a permanent solution. Being a radio hobbyist over the years I've used products designed for that purpose to install antenna cables and they usually work very well and provide a clean, professional appearance.

P.S. If you want to quote someone's remarks all you need to do is click on "reply" in the lower right hand corner of each post and it will automatically quote the message you are responding to in your post. :)

If you add some protection from abrasion, wiring can be run between camper shell and truck body where the foam rubber sealing strip is. There's more movement here than you'd believe and even densely insulated wire like THHN will need help when used this way. Standard automotive wire will fail quickly here as many have discovered the hard way :( Alternately you can follow or use the protected factory wiring loom along the chassis; that is a longer run but the factory design means it's a well-protected location which already goes as far as the taillights leaving you little 'design engineering' to contend with. Plus there's almost always room for a few more wires or cables in that loom ;)

Phil

between camper shell and truck body where the foam rubber sealing strip is.

Thats what i did with the CB antenna wire on my Mitsubishi L200 pickup with a hardtop on the bed.
But ill be damned if i can remember how i got the antenna wire out of the cabin, but i would assume i went thru a rubber grommet in the firewall and then down and under the cabin to go up between the bed and the cabin.

O and then i off course also have to get creative installing a CB antenna in a fiberglass hardtop, but thats a whole other matter.

Back