Where are the big companies?

Tokai

Reaction score
Country
Congo
I am talking about the famous DC brand such as Sony, Cannon or Nikon,
if these giants start producing dashcam I think they can make it much better than all these we can find now,
but where are they now? why? :?:

It's still a niche market on a world wide sale. Profits would be curbed by development costs. So currently, they could care less.

They are already out there and the biggest giant is Hyundai. They are gaining popularity on Korean market and knowing how truly big global corporation they are, I will expect some serious products from them in near future because they are well known brand and have a lot of money to invest into dash cams development. If following a Hyundai success history ( ship building, tractors, heavy machinery, cars, electronics etc ) , they always got their strong positions in any field of industry. So I expect same on dash cam market. Its only a matter of time when they will be worldwide top 5.

Panasonic also involved into so called dash cams marker. Now they are more for specific market such as police cars. Developed nearly 4y ago this product

http://www.geek.com/news/panasonic-laun ... rs-924332/

Last year they had also dash cam for regular consumer but it was not competitive by specs with other dash cams so i guess they dropped that project for some time. At least i had not seen any development of that dash cam since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garmin has a dashcam (with optional second camera for the back). Records at 1080p (only front) or 720p for both front and back. But it was like 300 euros or something.

niko said:
They are already out there and the biggest giant is Hyundai. They are gaining popularity on Korean market and knowing how truly big global corporation they are, I will expect some serious products from them in near future because they are well known brand and have a lot of money to invest into dash cams development. If following a Hyundai success history ( ship building, tractors, heavy machinery, cars, electronics etc ) , they always got their strong positions in any field of industry. So I expect same on dash cam market. Its only a matter of time when they will be worldwide top 5.
I found two dash cams made by Hyundai:

http://www.gooddigitalshop.com/hyun...le-hd-2ch.-dash-cam-car-camera-black-box.html

http://astrobile.com/hyundai-mnsoft-r700.html

I like this R700

r700m_1.jpg

MozartMan said:
niko said:
I found two dash cams made by Hyundai:

http://www.gooddigitalshop.com/hyun...le-hd-2ch.-dash-cam-car-camera-black-box.html

http://astrobile.com/hyundai-mnsoft-r700.html

I like this R700

r700m_1.jpg

You got it right. I was pointing also to R700 which getting highly rated feedback on Korean forums / blogs. Form factor is also more like very popular Finevu cr-500 for compact and discrete mount. I wonder if front blue led ring can be switched off. Dont know why majority of korean dash cams like to be flashy ?
Also horizontally rotating bracket like on Finevu could be applied. Other than that it looks great dash cam based on forums feedback.

MozartMan said:
niko said:
I wonder if front blue led ring can be switched off.
There is always black electrical tape.

Yes, myself I am good in DIY and using black Plasti dip in those cases. I was thinking about other prople who dont want to mess around with DIY stuff but prefer good easy solution to switch off led from menu settings.

I stand corrected on at least, TWO, giants.

MozartMan said:
niko said:
I wonder if front blue led ring can be switched off.
There is always black electrical tape.
I am sure it works well certainly, but for a $300 item it seems not luxury enough, :D

yes, Garmin and Hyudai are big, but I think picture adjustment might be not what they good at,
the pics of that Hyidai DVR looks not so good, I would rather to choose something else( and cheaper)

may i say
problemn of big brands of car that they 3th-part everything.
just the motor is home made. whatever else is OEM whit high-Quality control

i work on Chevrolet Dealer and we see brands behind the thing for example Kenwood make sounds "Chevrolet" in brazil.
Kenwood / Delphi / Alpine.

if Chevrolet would sell any camera that would be an something Oem Branded Chevrolet , be sure of that.

they have no factory for develop an own camera ;)

maybe if Cameras get more popular in future maybe Chevrolet get an high quality selected OEM and brand it Chevrolet. :lol:

maybe whit Asian Car makers things can be different eh.

From Digital devices is sadly we dont have Cannon , Sony , JVC ,Panasonic they have amazing CMOS Sensor whit good use of Ambarella would be amazing cameras
and Development of cameras would get hot.

GeorgesNJR said:
may i say

i work on Chevrolet Dealer and we see brands behind the thing for example Kenwood make sounds "Chevrolet" in brazil.

if Chevrolet would sell any camera that would be an something Oem Branded Chevrolet , be sure of that.

maybe if Cameras get more popular in future maybe Chevrolet get an high quality selected OEM and brand it Chevrolet. :lol:

From Digital devices is sadly we dont have Cannon , Sony , JVC ,Panasonic they have amazing CMOS Sensor whit good use of Ambarella would be amazing cameras

From all electronics related companies I would say Sony has the most potential.
They do they own high end CMOS ( Exmor and Exmor R ), they have very long experience in audio-video equipment ( also car related audio ), they collaborate with one of the best optics ( Carl Zeiss ), so my bet would be on Sony in the the near future.

By the way Chevy has they own branded dash cam I have mentioned in other thread:
http://www.interpark.com/product/MallDi ... pNo=016001

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1646

niko said:
GeorgesNJR said:
may i say

They do they own high end CMOS ( Exmor and Exmor R ), they have very long experience in audio-video equipment ( also car related audio ), they collaborate with one of the best optics ( Carl Zeiss ), so my bet would be on Sony in the the near future.

By the way Chevy has they own branded dash cam I have mentioned in other thread:
http://www.interpark.com/product/MallDi ... pNo=016001

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1646

ummm just in korea.
and its branded OEM. :mrgreen:

would be amazing a Sony car cameras using Ambarella + Sony Exmor R and sony technologic Carl Zeiss lens 6G if exist 6G of Zeiss

niko said:

yes and no, they make a sport camera as well, GoPro owns that market so just because Sony have a background in A/V related products doesn't always mean they'll get it right

jokiin said:
niko said:

yes and no, they make a sport camera as well, GoPro owns that market so just because Sony have a background in A/V related products doesn't always mean they'll get it right

Sony is a Box of surprises. :mrgreen:

GeorgesNJR said:
jokiin said:
niko said:

Sony is a Box of surprises. :mrgreen:

sometimes, overall as a company I have to say I've liked and owned quite a few of their products, they don't always make the right decisions but as they say, hindsight is 20/20, I think they've had far more wins than losses over the years

jokiin said:
niko said:

power of marketing, Gopro gives consumers strong "adventure" image, it's very similar to Red bull, being the sponsor of some dangerous of even crazy event,
but it builds up the message and send it to the market successfully, by lots of clips on youtube Gopro make it good, too.
Like coke sells "Joy and happiness", they're selling "adventure, courage" or something like that.

I do believe SONY can beat most of the company in the world in picture performance, but when talk about sportcam, SONY can't compare with Gopro.

But I think Dashcam would be different as SONY's corporate image brings solid and fine-made feeling( at least to me), and it's good to carcam marekt.

Back