Where can you buy the best replacement 3M Adhesive Mount? Also, how to remove without damage?

SirDomino

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am wondering where one can purchase/find 3M adhesive sticky tape mount like the one that comes with the A118 or other dash cams?

Also, what is the best way to remove adhesive mounts it without damaging your window or those black dots on the windshield near the rearview mirror?

Thanks!

Check out Lowes or Home Depot. I tried the command adhesive with good results

3M VHB tapes (VHB = Very High Bonding) are available in many forms at different prices and roll lengths. I find the most economical place to buy it is on Amazon where there is a wide choice of sizes and type available. This way I always have plenty available for different projects or to move a dash cam. Some VHB tapes are sold under 3M's Scotch moniker.

some examples are:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00004Z4BV (Good choice 60 inches - black - holds 5 lbs.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B005SRECEU VHB tape (Also a good choice 60 inches - black - holds 10 lbs)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00004Z4BU (Heavy Duty Mounting, Clear - 60 inches)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0016HM7SE

Last edited:
I have heard some ppl use a pice of string as a band saw to seperate a mount from the glass, the remaining glue can be worked off with a finger, and then to finish up a little alcohol.

If / when i get there i will use a little of the braided fishing line i have.

Yeah the A118 actually comes with a piece of string - I used dental floss for the last one but string would be easier :)

Yeah the A118 actually comes with a piece of string - I used dental floss for the last one but string would be easier :)
I tried to saw through my Vico mount to give my 0803 more room and I broke the floss

I use a crow bar and a big hammer! :p

Actually, when I had to leave my vehicle at the Toyota dealership for an unexpected factory safety recall a couple of months ago I found that carefully but forcefully rocking the 3M mounted camera bracket back and forth was enough to get it loose enough to get my finger under it and pry it the rest of the way.

In some ways though, I find Techmoan Mat's dental floss technique to be a bit misleading. The fact is that he only mounts cameras for a relatively short period of time for test purposes. 3M VHB tapes tend to increase their bond over time as the adhesive cures. It becomes much harder to remove the stuff after it's been on a windshield a few months in the hot sunshine and I'm not surprised to hear CYL's story about the broken floss. That's when you need the crowbar! :D

I tried to saw through my Vico mount to give my 0803 more room and I broke the floss

The included string we have is heavy duty nylon.

d2g5kWx.png

The included string we have is heavy duty nylon.

d2g5kWx.png

I warmed mine up in the sun and eased the mount off the tape, then I used a razor blade scraper to roll up the left over double sided tape and then cleaned the windscreen with Windex.

I am wondering where one can purchase/find 3M adhesive sticky tape mount like the one that comes with the A118 or other dash cams?

Also, what is the best way to remove adhesive mounts it without damaging your window or those black dots on the windshield near the rearview mirror?

Thanks!
Here, I believe this is the same material that used on dash cams mount. You just need to trim to sizes. You can find them at Ebay or Amazon under 3m VHB

Attachments

• 61zx+iuzAXL._SL1500_.jpg
    61zx+iuzAXL._SL1500_.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 515RJkKDUWL._SL1500_.jpg
    515RJkKDUWL._SL1500_.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Your link appears to be a log-in page and have other issues as well.
Also, you are responding to a member who asked this question more than a year ago and hasn't logged in since then.

Your link appears to be a log-in page and have other issues as well.
Also, you are responding to a member who asked this question more than a year ago and hasn't logged in since then.
Lol.. Yeah, the link didn't so I upload pictures instead. Yup just realized this is a long gone thread. Oh well

It would be and easy mistake to make, especially since the original post was made during the month of October. :)

FWIW I used dental floss to remove my Mini0806 mount. It's a bit hard on the fingers because there's no friction for the sawing motion and you have to pull it tight, but it got there in the end, separating the pad from the mount. After that the pad peeled off the windscreen in one piece very easily.

Wrapping the floss - or string - around a pair of objects acting as handles is probably a good idea.

once you can get a bit of air under the tape and break the surface tension it comes off a lot easier

Back