New mount made from Actobot parts

Attachments

• DSC01608__20180120_17_46_44-2.jpg
    DSC01608__20180120_17_46_44-2.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC01596__20180120_17_16_00-2.jpg
    DSC01596__20180120_17_16_00-2.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 97
The further you get away from a solid mounting the more flex and movement you will encounter. It's a long way to the floorpan where the seat mounts to and there are at least 3 points of movement with this (seat-bottom adjustment, seat-back adjustment or hinge, and headrest post). Plus you have a leverage arm in the mount itself too. Ideally a mounting should give the shortest direct path between the cam and a solid foundation. Most ideal would be to glue the cam body directly to the windshield using a rigid adhesive although that is quite impractical and it may not be where you want the cam sited :rolleyes:

None of this means that any particular mounting will not work so all you can do is try- you might find success where you didn't expect it :cool:

Phil

The further you get away from a solid mounting the more flex and movement you will encounter. It's a long way to the floorpan where the seat mounts to and there are at least 3 points of movement with this (seat-bottom adjustment, seat-back adjustment or hinge, and headrest post). Plus you have a leverage arm in the mount itself too. Ideally a mounting should give the shortest direct path between the cam and a solid foundation. Most ideal would be to glue the cam body directly to the windshield using a rigid adhesive although that is quite impractical and it may not be where you want the cam sited :rolleyes:

None of this means that any particular mounting will not work so all you can do is try- you might find success where you didn't expect it :cool:

Phil

I'm going to go for a "spirited" drive on a windy road with some bumpy parts and I'll report back. I have had the camera strapped to the headrest on both this and my previous car, a Ford C-Max and it was perfectly steady. The vibrations came when I tried to use the clamp and plastic arm. If the aluminum mount wobbles I'll try adding some reinforcing pieces

Is a solid mount really such a good thing? You want the camera stable relative to the horizon, NOT the vehicle. The ideal mount would hold the camera very loosely, doing no more than supporting the weight and applying no other force - other than turning the camera with the vehicle, but that can be a gentle, damped force. Basically a gimbal type affair. Perhaps over the top for a dash cam though.

The thing you REALLY want to avoid is resonant vibration, and you could find a solid mount can suffer from that worse than a loose one would.

I've tried one camera attached to a head rest, and that was just fine, but it was one of those 360 degree cameras so it wouldn't show up vibration anything like as much as a regular dash cam.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm going to go for a "spirited" drive on a windy road with some bumpy parts and I'll report back. I have had the camera strapped to the headrest on both this and my previous car, a Ford C-Max and it was perfectly steady. The vibrations came when I tried to use the clamp and plastic arm. If the aluminum mount wobbles I'll try adding some reinforcing pieces

Well I didn't drive where I was planning to but I did drive on some bumpy roads and there is more vibration than strapped to the headrest. But less vibration than the plastic mount

Can you still see the flashing led ?
From driver seat you don't see camera at all. It is hidden behind mirror. Orange led is visible from passanger side. That doesn't bother me. You can use small piece electrical tape to cover it if that is a problem for you.

Mines right at top of windscreen against headlining showing no wires .

It's just to the left of above me and to the right of the rear view mirror , just about eliminating any mirror housing from the picture .

The LED is a great visual indicator that the camera is functioning and going in and out of time lapse parking mode .

And also it's position would make extracting the sd card a breeze .

A sort of temporary install ... ref the impending car upgrade
The front works ok, mirror hides it, yet one can dip your head and just see the power recording light.
E724734D-A9DE-4A0A-A9E9-259D4F8BB74E.jpegE724734D-A9DE-4A0A-A9E9-259D4F8BB74E.jpegE724734D-A9DE-4A0A-A9E9-259D4F8BB74E.jpeg6AF9BCE2-8F66-41F1-BAC3-28D52371BC32.jpeg
6AF9BCE2-8F66-41F1-BAC3-28D52371BC32.jpegOh pic uploaded but wont insert

Last edited:
Of course otherwise it wouldn't be positioned there ( lense angled down six clicks ) , for sure it won't work for everyone , but when it does it's superb .

If I chose to do the same for the rear it'd be the same result as I'm not running an oe 13" blade , but 15" instead .

I did originally plan to have it more to the left above the rear view mirror housing but it's view showed up the center mirror housing fixing and top of housing so it worked out for the best in the end with the added bonuses of not fouling a miniscule center sunvisor and ease of a right thumb nail to access the sd card flap.

Like this one with pics from it

Attachments

• Passat front cam3.jpg
    Passat front cam3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20171225_100100_EF.jpg
    20171225_100100_EF.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
That's good matching of colours to hide the camera , not all of us have a black rear view mirror housing .

Being at the top I also have another added benefit from the top tint in the windscreen .

YWvdCoe.jpg

Thats mine (iTracker DC-A119S). Left-hand-drive, mounting in the right of the mirror.
image012.jpg20180130_171747_kl.jpg20180130_171802_kl.jpg

A (reduced) picture from it. The good readable license plate was deleted (I have to do this in Germany ;-) before publishing dashcam photos or videos ).
vlcsnap-2017-12-29-20h09m47s053_kl.png

Last edited:
Back