Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

Vehicle:
Subaru Impreza 2017 hatch with Eyesight.
Australian model with right hand drive.

Camera:
Street Guardian SGGCX2pro.

I have mounted the SGGCX2Pro to the right of the Eyesight camera nearest the driver. This position also allows easy access to the camera buttons for single image or protected recording. The camera doesn't intrude noticeably into the drivers vision, doesn't extend any lower than the Eyesight cameras, and much less than the sun visor. This mounting location is also quite 'stealth', and is not obvious to a casual passer by. It does require the camera to be removed from the mount to access the SD card, but this has not turned out to be a problem, as the camera is easy to slide from the mount.

I originally installed the camera just to the passenger side of the rear vision mirror mount, but it sat lower on the windscreen, was not very accessible from the drivers seat, the buttons were difficult to reach and were not able to be seen from the drivers seat. The position was also slightly in the line of the Eyesight cameras. It is not known if the position would have actually interfered with the operation of the Eyesight system, but I wouldn't like to find out the hard way. That position did however allow access to the SD card without removing the camera from the mount. Mounting the camera high up to the left of the Eyesight cameras is not an option, as the windscreen wipers do not adequately clean that area of the screen.

I had to relocate the GPS aerial when the camera mounting location was changed. Fortunately, the SGGCX2Pro package comes with additional 3M double sided tape, so moving brackets doesn't require a trip to the shops to purchase more. The also included 'String' works surprisingly well to remove an attached bracket from the windscreen.

I originally used the flat mounting bracket, but have since changed to the also included wedge shaped bracket, to allow for increased space between the camera and the windscreen. This allows my internal reflecting windscreen sunshade to fit between the camera and the windscreen, and substantially shield the camera from the sun and prying eyes. The car is parked outside during the workweek day and outside temperatures reach high 30's to low 40's in summer (Celsius).

Installation_1.JPG

Installation_3.png

I connected the power lead to the internal fusebox using a 'Fusetap' type connector which was included in the 'SGG Series Hardwire power kit' that I purchased separately from SG. The kit includes the power wire (quite long) with a 12v to 5v step down transformer, and a 'Fusetap' connector (two in my kit). I decided to only have the camera operating when the ignition is on, rather than when in Accesories mode. I used the fuse slot indicated in the image below. Most of the fuse slots appeared to have the 'Positive' on the right side of the fuse, but this particular fuse slot had the positive on the left. I also found that the standard fuses (mini fuse) in the Subaru fuse box are a 'LowProfile' type without protruding legs, which will not fit in the 'FuseTap' connector. I purchased additional fuses (7.5amp) from the auto spares shop, with the longer legs to fit in the FuseTap connector.

Installation_5.JPG

Installation_6.png

Installation_7.png

Cheers Emma

Last edited:
Yep, that's why I used the wedge mount to make enough space for the sunshield to fit between the camera and windscreen.

I've built my Mobius Maxi inside of my car's rain sensor & GPS cover. I never liked the look of a dashcam on my windscreen, and there was ample space available in the cover, so this is the result:

IMG_1657.JPGIMG_1658.JPG

image12.JPGimage11.JPGimage10.JPG

The lens itself sticks out slightly below the black coating on the windscreen - you can just about see it if you zoom in on the third picture.

The internals looks like so:

image5.JPGimage6.JPGimage7.JPG

What I have done is taken the main board out of its case and stuck it to a piece of plastic (G10) using some Sugru (mouldable silicone). I then stuck some 3M "Dual Lock" to the plastic and the cover so that I can remove it if required (there is nothing I need access to on the back of the PCB). I then soldered 3 buttons to the legs on the PCB and mounted them further up on the GPS cover. The capacitor conveniently fits in the indentation designed to surround the rear view mirror - this is also Dual Locked to the cover. The lens itself is is also kept in place with Sugru. The rectangular module with blue connector is my car's GPS antenna, that's Dual Locked on as well. Power is tapped from the dome lights by soldering onto the terminals, and the USB out is fed through the headlining.

image2.JPG

I got a large heatsink out of an old BT hub and cut it to size. Conveniently, the mounting holes for it were the perfect size for my 1mm optical fibre strand. I cut the heatsink so that the optical fibre hovers just above the 4 LEDs. I then drilled a hole just big enough to poke the other end of the fibre through. This allows me to see the status LEDs from inside the car - and it dims the light a little as well, bonus! It is the one thing about this "project" that actually worked surprisingly well. You can see the Maxi is in mode 2 in this picture pretty well on a sunny afternoon:

image13.JPG

Lastly you will see I cut a shape out of the top of the GPS cover. This was to place a SD card extender so I could access my files without taking the cover off. I'm still working on this at the moment.

The lens is aimed well and there is no vibration visible despite my harsh suspension (Fiesta ST). Reflections are not any better compared to a regular suction mount, even when so close to the glass - perhaps soon I'll try and make a CPL for it.

Very happy with the results so far. In hindsight, I wish I had searched a bit longer for smaller and more subtle buttons - rather than taking what I had lying around. I also wish I had a higher quality 12V -> 5V converter, as this one seems to mess with my DAB reception, but only if the wires run parallel with the DAB antenna. I've just stuffed them in opposite corners and this seems to solve the problem.

Here's my Thinkware F200 with rear camera and GPS hard wired to my 2007 Mondeo. Due to the car interior being dark, it's pretty well hidden from outside.
a06fd6b53906648f54d006687b34f9e4.jpg
a36c61952fe8630145c6180d748202b3.jpg
a12de6627842ef81abbfeddc9b90fbe3.jpg
e12f1c3c80df52a737bbddc05537f0f9.jpg
771bf8e7c27f3b8769308d04f515f3e2.jpg
16f6cfb6af361964e36cb09751595d17.jpg
f7bd72249bd6d2367d953c3b42a6d10e.jpg
7ce56b93663bc81d3d280951ecba388a.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Here's my Thinkware F200 with rear camera and GPS hard wired to my 2007 Mondeo. Due to the car interior being dark, it's pretty well hidden from outside.

Try mounting it where you've stuck the GPS receiver, will look a lot more discreet.

Try mounting it where you've stuck the GPS receiver, will look a lot more discreet.
I tried it there originally and wasn't happy with the view as it was either too far over to one side or partially obscured by the mirror sensor housing.

I tried it there originally and wasn't happy with the view as it was either too far over to one side or partially obscured by the mirror sensor housing.

Stumbling block is the missing is left/right rotation.

If you would like to explore the option of mounting it higher up, could use half of what you have and half of what's available on Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...1012135417&origin=y&SearchText=car+dvr+holder

Check our this store - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/GPS-DVR-Phone-Holders/1161183_511246370.html

I currently have my A129 rear camera and a Mobius fixed directly with VHB tape to the plastic trim around my rear hatch. Since taking this photo I have replaced the lens in the Mobius with a heavier varifocal lens. Now my problem is that the VHB is not holding the Mobius camera permanently on the textured plastic, especially in warm weather. The lighter A129 rear camera seems more secure.

I'd like to try tucking a thin black metal plate under the plastic trim then fix the Mobius to it with magnets. Alternatively, I might devise a mount fixed to the very top edge of the glass screen.

y4miQgQv9z3VxdmFhTegxODU78LXqWk-ic6YGWi2YTiIIy54W6BpQoVTJeBr0yLEU8qQUEX2U-cswVpaKd6DatO7FMRO0EJFm3qyZsYDg6gJaQZNR55OheG0N8s5l_sbAyJb67nA9HTTgFKbY4hB8nwtQT9J3o-FmSEeotJprGD0l4doivtmSbRAYhEuUjG-RancHI7l8FSo60HK_NxsygEHw

y4mQPzxYXFUlRijIScTwg_CXD_9phUIh1flOWaVaj-caFBwE5b8hCST-w7_Ok8xA_Wi0SLp3P-yfGMm8Ag1N5NWzIgj_E1NoySp4sA0vE3w1mD8z8kmphMO5Qpkfed8d5QAAyBkgT_vNrY1msl_J-on1oSinPHdmSE7NdEn4jIxuYb-lHjnOsGxV7EXfpOJIj9JLaIKYWcBeSzOCxq42pBGCA

Since taking this photo I have replaced the lens in the Mobius with a heavier varifocal lens. Now my problem is that the VHB is not holding the Mobius camera permanently on the textured plastic, especially in warm weather.

Get some 3M Scotch Dual Lock Tape unless you already have some, in which case you should try it. :doctor:

Mounted my Garmin DS55 just to the lower right of the windshield sensor box on my '15 GMC Yukon Denali.... Not obtrusive on either driver or passenger side.... Installed it with the Parking Mode (hardwire kit) and it has the Garmin Polarized Lens Cover (which hides the gold ring from the outside view....IMG_5327.jpgIMG_5329.jpgIMG_5330_LI.jpg

Similar to the setup I posted a while ago with the SG9665GC V1 (front) and the A118/B40 (rear)
The discretion of these units are very nice to this day still.
PHOTO_20181123_121843.jpgPHOTO_20181123_122043.jpgPHOTO_20181123_121503.jpgPHOTO_20181123_121425.jpgPHOTO_20181123_122208.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
Back