Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

That look much like i had my DC systems rear camera installed, only i had a magnet in between the camera and hatch frame to space the camera out.
It kept getting knocked off from there when I shut the tailgate. Stuck it to the glass and fell off there as well. Waiting on the newer style rear cam I have on order which should sit nicely on the painted part.

Yeah you might have to add 2 strips and then trim one of them down to size, though i think you will be fine with just 1 strip of the stuff.
The tape i have are also not as wide as some cameras sticky pad, but i just put on a single piece as it is too fiddly to add another one beside and then trim it to size, and just 1 piece have been fine for me.

Since my buddy was not able to help me with getting more magnets i have been searching today, and there seem to be a massive difference in price, the cheapest local place i have found i can get 4 magnets for the price of 1 similar sized magnet the most expensive place.
So will be ordering 10 Magnets as soon as i get my piggy bank emptied into my bank account when the damn bank open.

I was not able to route the rear camera of my Viofo A139 system above the headliner this past Saturday, i damn near ruined it all instead and was only able to push the wire on a thin ALU rod 3/4 of the way thru.
So went along the sides and then this summer i will take the whole damn headliner out of my car, and then put some cable ducting in before i replace it, but still not able to go strait across the headliner.
Its also okay just not mentally and weather minded for a bigger job right now, the length of the wire for the A139 rear camera + my small car, i could route it forward first around the engine and then out back and still have wire to spare. :LOL:

Last edited:
That tape looks fine. That's quite a lot, will last you a good few years of sticking things.
If you're not sure have you tried talking with the installer? They'll have it sorted in a few minutes.
Going to my installer would require appointment as it is one of those big box retail store chain. If I can remove that part of the plastic trim, I can fix the cable to have it go around the other way right? I took pics today of the plastic trim, you think I can remove it and later put it back?

Attachments

• 7DCF4422-02BE-4524-8234-AFDB3DA0736D.jpeg
    7DCF4422-02BE-4524-8234-AFDB3DA0736D.jpeg
    496.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 134D4D66-5580-4672-9CAA-6D23B752013B.jpeg
    134D4D66-5580-4672-9CAA-6D23B752013B.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 71
  • D9C1874E-B079-451E-B04C-5B7331E6C379.jpeg
    D9C1874E-B079-451E-B04C-5B7331E6C379.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 2E61AE5B-A91D-4503-8203-FF1C4D132CA5.jpeg
    2E61AE5B-A91D-4503-8203-FF1C4D132CA5.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 73
Going to my installer would require appointment as it is one of those big box retail store chain. If I can remove that part of the plastic trim, I can fix the cable to have it go around the other way right? I took pics today of the plastic trim, you think I can remove it and later put it back?
It would then depend on how much slack is left in the cable. If that's the Street Guardian camera they've used the 8m cable which in most cars means there's a good amount that needs hiding away.

That bit of trim looks like it should just pull away.
If you carefully pull at one edge (the side near the glass perhaps) you should be able to get your fingers under it and then remove it. Most likely held on with a few push clips.

It would then depend on how much slack is left in the cable. If that's the Street Guardian camera they've used the 8m cable which in most cars means there's a good amount that needs hiding away.
he has a Viofo, cable will be 6M long, ours come with 6M and 3.5M cables, the 8M cable is an optional purchase

Though not shaped well for this purpose, old hard drives have great magnets in them. Dead ones are easy to get and dismantle. Many vids on YT showing the process.

The only issue I've had with the 3M tapes is with cable clips not staying stuck. Not a clue as to why, it's clean flat painted metal where those are. I normally don't use those clips but I have for the door-mounted remote cams at the back of my van. Frustrating to be sure :cautious: Will be using "Shoe Goo" glue on them when I get to the next major revision with the K2S side cams- I know that will hold ;)

Phil

I will see if i can remove the plastic trim and then fix the cable to go around and have the usb cable face up so I can install the rear cam on the rear grey plastic trim then on the windshield I currently have it on. Temp this week is not too cold and it is around 40F. If I can do the job mentioned above first, I can use the grey 3m tape and install my rear cam? I have picture below of the a129 plus rear cam. I see that the bottom part of it is not removable. Is it just like that?
Thanks
Why would I need longer cable then this?

Attachments

• 2B36B427-AB57-42DD-A665-5D0A2F8146C3.jpeg
    2B36B427-AB57-42DD-A665-5D0A2F8146C3.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 82329E20-582F-4787-BBDA-94F87B160EAC.jpeg
    82329E20-582F-4787-BBDA-94F87B160EAC.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I was able to remove the plastic trim. I am wondering how to fix the usb cable to face up so I can stick the rear cam on the plastic trim?

Attachments

• 68199BD1-43FB-4474-9159-1C911730B51E.jpeg
    68199BD1-43FB-4474-9159-1C911730B51E.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 36
  • C1FAE459-4287-4D33-B98A-D80C28D8006D.jpeg
    C1FAE459-4287-4D33-B98A-D80C28D8006D.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 36
I was able to open and put the plastic trim back. Am I all fine now and wait until the weather warms up to use the 3m tape to stick my tree at cam on the trim?

Attachments

• 4315EBAF-EF4E-4C06-B85E-3A3B0EEACF21.jpeg
    4315EBAF-EF4E-4C06-B85E-3A3B0EEACF21.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 40
I was able to open and put the plastic trim back. Am I all fine now and wait until the weather warms up to use the 3m tape to stick my tree at cam on the trim?

You've got plenty of tape so you could give it a try now and see what happens. You've got nothing to lose. If the tape fails to bond you could go back to waiting for warmer weather and try it again. I've done it a couple of times over the years in a pinch here in Vermont during cold winter weather. Usually, it's a fools errand but sometimes it works. Once it held for about three weeks and then the mount fell off but by then the weather was begining to warm up. Another time it held permanently. Once it fell off as I walked away from my truck. Depends on the weather and the dash cam gods.

Here's what I would suggest:

Crank the heat in your car for as long as you are able with the windows closed. You can do this on a drive home if you have everything ready to go once you get home. Then take a hairdryer on an extension cord and heat up the area on the plastic trim where you want to mount the camera. Heat up the tape that you've already applied to the camera mount and have previously removed the protective tape layer. Go back and forth a few times with the hair dryer between the plastic trim and the camera mount and then press the camera into place as hard as you can for about ten seconds. Get everything as warm as possible but don't overdo it. One of the things you are doing with the hairdryer is eliminating moisture and condensation.

After this, get the interior of your car warmed up again. If the camera holds put some pressure against the mount a couple of times when you think of it over the next few days. You might get lucky.

1978 Ford Thunderbird. Viofo A139 3CH. Only problem is that the short cable for the interior camera is defective. I opened a support ticket over 24 hours ago without a reply yet.
IMG_20210422_191647.jpg
IMG_20210422_191700.jpg
IMG_20210422_191716.jpg
IMG_20210422_191756.jpg
IMG_20210422_191811.jpg

edit: Fixed the size of the photos

Last edited:
Aaa yes the T- bird, one of those would also be in the car collection of mine funded by a massive future lotto win.
How else am i supposed to call myself a petrol head and not have a T bird.

A139 seem to fit well in there.

Maybe forum users @viofo or @VIOFO-Support can help you.

I posted this from the phone and now viewing on the PC... WOW, those photos are a bit BIG!!! Sorry about that.

and LOL @kamkar.

My father and I restored it 23 years ago and he was going to sell it because he no longer wanted / was able to keep up with it. So I had it shipped here instead. Been in the family since 1993, so I couldn't see it going anywhere else.

And yes, I hope Viofo help quickly. Though I can deal without the internal camera for a little while. Just sad my luck that I get a bad cable.

Viofo are normally active alright, but seem to have drooped off a little lately, i hope it is not the virus at the factory.

But now i have highlighted the 2 so they get a notification at least when they log on to the forum.

I would probably get a even older T- bird, the 50ties models do more for me, for a 70ties US car, maybe a Buick Riviera

@TNT I had a 76 T-Bird once, quite nice for a personal luxury car. Sold mine to a relative in desperate need of wheels for cheap as I didn't need it anymore. I had to glue together and jumper-wire the gauge panel board back together- that plastic goes brittle with age so be VERY gentle if you ever need to pull the instrument panel out.

Phil

@SawMaster I have repaired this one already. Some of the back lights weren't working. I have learned to use epoxy putty from other projects and found it works perfectly for this too. I can under size the hole and dremel it to the correct size after it cures. Better than new!

Viofo are normally active alright, but seem to have drooped off a little lately, i hope it is not the virus at the factory.
Seems you may be right. I have yet to hear anything for 48+ hours. Guess I wont hear anything at least till Monday now.

did you try to plug in the rear camera to the interior camera socket,,,,, to make sure it was the wire or the camera unit ?

The little plugs are standard plugs, i intend to make a shorter cable for the interior camera as it is mounted on the mirror stalk in my car, so almost as close as yours.

I got a test sample last year but on January 4 i had a break in my car, and the person pulled the mirror with the interior camera off damaging the plugs and sockets, the same happened to the rear camera on the hatch of my car ( guess he must have looked for something there too )
So my plan is to use the surplus wires from that camera as viofo sent me a complete new camera to test.

I would also sent you my interior camera if only the plug in it worked, but after that mishandling the plugs feel quite weak, so i would not risk driving with that camera.

Back