Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
I am starting this thread with my Itronics ITB-250HD. I like the Itronics look because is small and full black.

Some cars have grey rear mirror and sun visors. This is not so good if you want to hide more the camera in front of them because black is better to hide a dashcam which is supposed to be black too.
Tips:
Try to put the dashcam in the top most position, or under the windshield small dots area to protect it against direct sun.

1. First I measured the cleaning area of the wipers. I was lucky because the cleaned area is on the top of the windshield so I can mount my dashcam in the most upper position.

2. My sun visors are grey inside and black (by me) outside.

3. Final mounting with sun visors down. I am driving almost with the sun visors in that position because I don't like the sun into my eyes. But if you don't, try to let them down at least when you leave the car. Being black will hide more the camera.
This screenshot is full of sun so this is why you see the camera so good.

4. Closer. The Itronics logo was hidden by a small black matte tape

As you can see the biggest part of the camera is hidden behind the black area which is on the front of the rearview mirror.

5. Without sun visor on the back

6. Closer

7. View from inside

8. Sun visor down. So you can't see it from inside

For rear window mounts please use this thread.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures.

808 #18 or 808 #16

Here is another camera and I will show to you right after the Itronics pictures to see a more hidden camera. It is not produced as dashcam, but as spy camera and the names for the original product are 808 #16 and 808 #18. There are very small differences between 16 and 18 and in my pictures is the 808 #18.
I can say this is the perfect hidden camera, but in my case I am lucky also because the wipers are cleaning the windshield in the top most position.

1. View from inside. You can see, it is right under the car roof. Just perfect.

2. A very small led which is not visible from outside, but from inside

3. Sun visor down. So you can't see it from inside

4. View from outside under direct sun, without sun visors down

5. Sun visors down. View under a lot of sunlight

6. Closer

7. This is what you see in reality

Please don't ask about this 808 camera here. I will make a new thread about it.
Lets keep this topic only about the camera mounting on the windshield, with ideas, pictures, answers and questions.

enjoy,
Mtz

I wish i have an itronics

Itronics ITB-100HD

This car have grey mirrors and sun visors. But have also some dark solar film added inside at the top of the windshield one year ago, so hiding the camera was easy because of this.

Unfortunately today the sun was hidden by a lot of clouds so we can't see the camera like in my previous post.
1. Invisible but also because of the light. :-(

The added dark solar film area is ending right at the position where the wipers are finishing cleaning the windshield. So even if I want to mount the camera in the upper position was not a good idea because of no cleaned area by the wipers.

But in this post are important the things which are changed to the car:

2. You can see the added solar film and right under it is the lens position of the ITB

3. Here you can see a part of the back of the rearview mirror

4. The rearview mirror was covered with some black tape

Because the camera was mounted in the front of the mirror, being black now and not grey as default, watching from outside, the camera and the mirror appear to be the same thing. There is no contrast between a black camera and a grey mirror.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have the ITB-100HD and in the back a DOD-GSE550.
Because the camera's i had are always black i painted the grey/white rearview mirror to black! :) It wasn't easy, but the result is ok.

I put my camera at the right side of the rearview mirror because the lens it at the left of the camera and i wanted the lens to be as much in the middle of the window as possible. Also i don't want it to be in my view because I like a clean view.
I have grey/white sun visors but hardly use them.

ITB-100HD (black tape over the logo)
Click for larger version!

DOD-GSE550 in the back (went with a black marker over the brand text)
Click for larger version!

Here is a Blackvue DR500GW-HD

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• Blackvue DR500GW-HD 1.jpg
    Blackvue DR500GW-HD 1.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 5,740
  • Blackvue DR500GW-HD 2.jpg
    Blackvue DR500GW-HD 2.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 5,749
  • Blackvue DR500GW-HD 3.jpg
    Blackvue DR500GW-HD 3.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 5,736
I have mounted the camera (GS1000) behind the rearview mirror. The only problem is that the camera is black and the mirror is light gray: it is very easy to see the camera. Bad image quality, sorry...

When I'm sitting on the driver's seat I can't see the camera. It is also quite difficult to use the camera if you have to change settings etc. Luckily, the red led indicator light reflects from the windshield that I can see the camera is recording.

Try to move the camera in the most upper position.Will be nice if the right part of the camera to enter under the arm of the mirror, on the upside part of it. In your last picture, to move it up and then to the left.
On your last picture I see something black on the roof. Can't you attach the camera from there so your dashcam will be over the mirror?
Look at the picture number 4 from my third post. On the left of the camera you will see a black round object. It was gray but painted with a black matte spray, after unmounting it from the windshield. On the right of the camera you can see the mirror which was also gray but covered with some black tape (to not paint it) and which can be removed easy. You can use a hair dryer to extend the tape over the mirror curves.

enjoy,
Mtz

For my Minivan, I mounted my FineVu on the dash. I have side curtain airbags, so I could not run the wires through either of the front pillars.
My older Camry has no side curtain airbags, so I could run the wires through the right pillar and mount my second FineVu just right of my rear mirror.
I have noticed the reduction of glare from my dash mounted camera compared to my window mounted camera. I have also noticed I get a better image at night with better resolution of signs and license plates.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 5,695
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 5,684
i1000 / F70 / X6 720P Dual Lens DVR Dash Camera
This is how I mounted mine
Front:
i.imgur.com_vEdYITT.png

Driver/passenger view:
i.imgur.com_NGlKaAf.png

Wires for power and rear camera are hidden in roof lining and A-pillar

This where and how I mounted my ITB 100HD in a RH drive Subaru Forester.

Note: All of the following pictures were taken with my Samsung Galaxy GT-i9000 Mobile Phone.

Head on views (2):

UCrJsz4.jpg

gVjczv9.jpg

Hm2ic4z.jpg

DIY Mounting:

RsrldnY.jpg

This is looking upwards from beneath the Dash Cam.

2e8y6E6.jpg

Sunglasses cubby removed and cable routed behind roof lining in the direction of the arrow.

ipyKnyS.jpg

I used a straightened wire coat hangar to pull the cable through this section of the roof lining.

GjObNIq.jpg

Once I had made the decision on where I wanted to run the cable it took me about 30 mins and the job was done.
Next step is to get an auto electrician to wire up the UPC for me as I'm not happy with the connection shown in step
#4 of the manufacturers guide.

RSQWAi1.jpg

I ran the cable in behind the piece of grey trim on the right of the red line, there is no need to remove the trim either.

7D4pT2N.jpg

I just pushed the cable into this crevice using a blunt item.

MiCO0m6.jpg

JMiJip6.jpg

Update:

I now own a 2016 Honda CRV VTi-S 4WD and I have routed the cable in the exact same way as I did above in my Forester. Below are couple of pictures of the camera mounted in the Honda and 1 x picture showing the little bit of visible cable from inside.

lnfMzYY.jpg

MqIcm6d.jpg

jpsh6Mu.jpg

Last edited:
Nice and elaborate mounting
1. You forgot the most important photo: the one from windshield front
2. you can also use the fusebox
3. the Forester engine sounds so great. I hope the poor mic. of Itronics to catch that amazing sound.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
3. the Forester engine sounds so great. I hope the poor mic. of Itronics to catch that amazing sound.

enjoy,
Mtz

I'll have to get that important shot tomorrow, it's too dark at present.

I am "electronically challenged" that is why it will be done by an Auto Electrician, so that it is done right and safely.
I also don't like the way the wire is just wrapped around one of the 'pegs' on the fuse in the Manufacturers manual
for mounting of the UPC., very slack work IMO.

The 2.5L Forester doesn't sound as nice as the 2.0L engine in the WRX - Imprezza's etc. they have that boxer rumble,
I wish my Forester had that boxer rumble too, it's a fantastic sound.

Mtz said:

enjoy,
Mtz

Thread updated with head on photo's Mtz. :cool:

suparoo said:
Mtz said:

enjoy,
Mtz

Nice work and nice photos you've put together to explain the process, I need something like that in my user manuals

Your shot with the blutack is a good reminder why best practice is to run cables across the passenger side

jokiin said:
suparoo said:
Mtz said:

enjoy,
Mtz

Nice work and nice photos you've put together to explain the process, I need something like that in my user manuals

Your shot with the blutack is a good reminder why best practice is to run cables across the passenger side

I take your point with the Blu-Tac and the cable falling down onto your feet, I have some 3M cable clips that came with the camera and I will be replacing the Blu-Tac with them tomorrow, it was only a temporary setup to see if I had enough cable.

If you want to use my pics for your user manual go ahead, if you would like the originals PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

Hi Suparoo,
excellent work! The Cam is almost invisible!

Just an off-topic question: I've noticed in your pictures that you have covered with a black rectangle a sort of multicolor barcode on your windshield.
Is it something typical of Australian cars/laws?

Thanks,

fez

Pknitty86 said:
Here's my DVR 027 in my GMC Sierra

This is about the extent of my install as well.

Back