Where did you mount your "side" dashcams? Post your pictures.

peterharvey

Reaction score
Country
Australia
This will help to catch people who carelessly swing their doors open - denting your doors...

Mine ( R side ) are mounted off the B pillar and film out thru the window in the back doors, the ( L side ) are mounted off the headliner but also just behind the B pillar.
I am fortunate my little Suzuki car have a little Fixed glass in both front and rear doors, so when i get to upgrade the 2 single cameras i have now with a dual remote system i will install on the fixed glass in the rear doors, and then have the lenses angled so much forward as i can ( which will probably not be much due to the small glass and wide angle of dashcams )

Only have a video.

Kamkar1:
1) You superglued a light colored metal plate to the velour lining? Because screwing the metal plate to the velour headlining may interfere with the curtain airbags?
2) You then superglued a magnet to your dashcam?
3) The magnet then attaches to the light colored metal plate.

PS.
Now I see.
Mobius has a lot of mounting accessories.

However, do their cameras have good video quality?
How does Mobius video quality compare with a StreeetGuardian SG9663GC?

Last edited:
no its just a piece of metal folded over so it can slide in over the headliner, and be held in place by that and the door weather seal, i don't mind if camera get launched by airbag, since 2012 when i got the car i have had people on the rear seat for a total of 3-4 hours.
Yes but CA glue don't last alone so also wrapped a bit of duct tape around it and the " spacer" i had to put on further out towards the lens as the camera otherwise filmed mostly sky.

The little mobius have been the go to camera for many people for many years, but they are no way keeping up with cameras based on current hardware.
Just their shape ASO make them usable for many things, i started with mine in the rear window.

A few videos with footage from the mobius, outside day & night, and inside aimed at my niece.

Daytime 80 km/h - 80 km/h speeds.

It is the old "B" lens version i have, other lenses have been put in since then.

Last edited:
I was thinking of waiting for Joikiin's forthcoming StreetGuardian SG9663DR dual remote lens dashcam.
Because it will have only a tiny little camera with lens and sensor.

I would attach this directly via 3M tape to an A-shaped metal plate, purchased from a hardware store that has been custom bent by me, then spray painted black, and hooked onto the internal rubber surround of each rear door.
Much wider metal plates are available.

Joikiin is taking so long to get the SG9663DR onto the market; hopefully it is available before Xmas.
Meantime, I'm still getting side dings, and I am not able to catch the culprit.

I did consider double suction cups.
And even attaching a magnet to the 3M tape of the dual remote lens dashcams, but then we may as well attach the two remote lens dashcams directly to the A-plates via 3M tape...

Yes the DR models will be the best solution for side cameras, but it will still need some tinkering as mounting on the side are another beast than mounting front and rear which the DR are made for.
If you like me have fixed side glass in doors or A / C pillars you are lucky, if you just have the door windows at your disposal, you will have to be even more creative.

Interior camera for my Viofo A229 Pro. It is a strip of 1/8" acrylic cut out with my bandsaw, and heated and bent to the angle I wanted with a Harbor Freight heat gun. (on low heat setting) Held in place with a couple of squares of 3M double sided. I want to capture what happens at my side window, not a boring image of me driving down the road.20231204_120306.jpg

Interior camera for my Viofo A229 Pro. It is a strip of 1/8" acrylic cut out with my bandsaw, and heated and bent to the angle I wanted with a Harbor Freight heat gun. (on low heat setting) Held in place with a couple of squares of 3M double sided. I want to capture what happens at my side window, not a boring image of me driving down the road.View attachment 70219
Nice.
This is my all time favorite POV for “side” cameras.

See attached photos for how I did it.
-Chuck

Attachments

• 8.) .png
    8.) .png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 9.) .png
    9.) .png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 3.) .jpg
    3.) .jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 1.) .jpg
    1.) .jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.) .jpg
    2.) .jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 7.) .jpg
    7.) .jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.) .jpg
    6.) .jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 5.) .jpg
    5.) .jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.) .jpg
    4.) .jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 7
Nice.
This is my all time favorite POV for “side” cameras.

See attached photos for how I did it.
-Chuck
Good video, and nice car! Nothing like the sound of a big V8 talking to you. BTW, how did you mount the cameras to the overhead liner?

The OP specifically asked about "side cameras", not interior cameras that happen to be able to see "some" of what is happening outside you car.

This will help to catch people who carelessly swing their doors open - denting your doors...

I have nothing against interior cameras as they have their value but they are a completely different animal than true lateral facing side cameras that can actually accomplish what the OP is asking for. For this you want cameras on either side of your vehicle that can capture a wide clear image of everything to the left or right hand side and as close to the pavement as possible as near to your vehicle as possible.

I have used a variety of side cameras over the years but especially like the Mobius cams with the "C2" lens option as side mounted cameras for their excellent coverage and acuity. I mount them over the fixed glass rear panes of glass in my pick-up truck.

Mobius-side-mount.jpg

The is an older example I had handy. Recent set-up produces better image quality.
side cam3.jpg

The OP specifically asked about "side cameras", not interior cameras that happen to be able to see "some" of what is happening outside you car.

I have nothing against interior cameras as they have their value but they are a completely different animal than true lateral facing side cameras that can actually accomplish what the OP is asking for. For this you want cameras on either side of your vehicle that can capture a wide clear image of everything to the left or right hand side and as close to the pavement as possible as near to your vehicle as possible.

I have used a variety of side cameras over the years but especially like the Mobius cams with the "C2" lens option as side mounted cameras for their excellent coverage and acuity. I mount them over the fixed glass rear panes of glass in my pick-up truck.

View attachment 70248

The is an older example I had handy. Recent set-up produces better image quality.
View attachment 70250
Since you want to get nit picky, I will point out that your quote of the OP's original question is incorrect. He asked where did you mount your "side" dashcam, not your "side camera". Now, I'm brand new to the world of dashcams, but I think there is a difference between the two. As far as I am concerned, if a dashcam is not looking out the front or back, and is looking out the side(as mine is), then it's a "side" dashcam. Also, I made my post with the intent of perhap helping others by showing my method of mounting the interior dashcam to allow it to point towards the driver's window. At the risk of bragging, I think it's a rather elegant way of accomplishing that goal.

Since you want to get nit picky, I will point out that your quote of the OP's original question is incorrect. He asked where did you mount your "side" dashcam, not your "side camera". Now, I'm brand new to the world of dashcams, but I think there is a difference between the two. As far as I am concerned, if a dashcam is not looking out the front or back, and is looking out the side(as mine is), then it's a "side" dashcam. Also, I made my post with the intent of perhap helping others by showing my method of mounting the interior dashcam to allow it to point towards the driver's window. At the risk of bragging, I think it's a rather elegant way of accomplishing that goal.

I made it clear that I have nothing against interior facing cameras but that they are quite different in performance than side facing dash cameras. Speaking of nit picky, "side cameras" and "side dash cameras" are simply different terms for the same thing. An interior camera that happens to see some of what is going on outside the car are merely interior cameras that happen to see "some" of what is happening outside the side of the car but you can call them whatever you like.

Indeed, you can call them whatever you like but only cameras that actually face out the sides of your vehicle are true "side cams". Interior cameras that are facing out the opposite side of the car can do a somewhat decent job of capturing what goes on to the sides of your vehicle but they will always have a limited POV compared with true side cameras looking directly out of a side window.

As for the OP, he specifically states that his intention was to mount his cameras on the windows of his rear doors, much the same way I have. While the OP does briefly consider placing cameras on his A pillar it sounds like he abandoned that plan
since his stated intention was to catch the culprit dinging his side door which would be challenging if not impossible to capture without a true "side camera" that would capture the guy in the act. My reference to what the OP said was therefore accurate.

would attach this directly via 3M tape to an A-shaped metal plate, purchased from a hardware store that has been custom bent by me, then spray painted black, and hooked onto the internal rubber surround of each rear door.
Meantime, I'm still getting side dings, and I am not able to catch the culprit.

You might benefit from perusing the following older thread where you can learn more about what members usually mean when they talk about "side cams", "side view cams" "side facing dash cams' or "lateral facing cameras". Some people do what you are doing with interior camera and that's fine if it works for you but most who want to capture what goes on to the sides of their vehicle wouldn't go that route however in favor of better coverage.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...a-side-view-dashcam-for-your-car-doors.12675/

Is there such thing as a side view dashcam? (For your car doors)

Last edited:
Back