Where Should I Mount My A129 Duo?

RavenManiac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, mini 0806 (RIP)
Although this has been long overdue, I'm getting ready to install the A129 Duo in my son's Mazda 3, but I need a little help. I'm planning on mounting the front-facing camera, just below the huge radar apparatus in front of the rearview mirror. The only problem is that places the A129 right around the middle of the windshield. I don't know if that's a problem or not.

As far as the rear-facing camera, normally I would place that camera up high near the headliner, but in this case, I'm thinking about mounting it above the rear taillight housing inside the back window. This would serve two purposes. First, I can avoid placing the camera mount on the rear defroster elements, and second, when he gets window tint installed later this month we won't have to remove the mount. Plus, we can avoid placing the mount over window tin, which is often problematic. However, I'm wondering if the reflection from the rear brake light, when applied, would create any problems for the camera since it'll be mounted so close to it.

Just so you'll know, the front and back windows on this car really slope. Please take a look at the last photo to get an idea of the angles I'm working with. Do my proposed locations seem like they'll be okay? As always, any advice and/or help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2245.JPG
    IMG_2245.JPG
    474.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2240.JPG
    IMG_2240.JPG
    464.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2246.JPG
    IMG_2246.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2243.JPG
    IMG_2243.JPG
    502.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 57962298911__7B047DCD-1F93-4C61-BFAC-6ACF2FC01257.jpg
    57962298911__7B047DCD-1F93-4C61-BFAC-6ACF2FC01257.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I'd be hesitant to place the rear camera so low. Definitely do some testing with it before mounting to see how the view is and if the brake light will effect the video footage.

With few exceptions, the best field of view in a car with a trunk will always be near the top of the rear window. But of course it's best to test placement before applying adhesive.

Mounting above the third brake light may work for you though, and you can use some black rubber weather seal between and around the brake light housing to eliminate any reflection on the glass.

Front camera offset to driver side so you can mount on the dotted area and just have the lens peek out below it = maximum stealth.
The rear camera i would also put up high, that "bump" you probpse is that a brake light ? if it is it might not be the nest place to put it ( though i have mine right below my brake light too, but on my car that is outside.
As jdct say there might be some bleeding of the light from that center brake light in which case it might be bad for recordings.

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations. We ended up mounting the front camera to the left of the rearview mirror and positioned as kamkar1 recommended just below the dotted area. In the end, we decided that the area below the radar stuff made the A129 much too obvious. Plus, it was obstructing my son's view. The added benefit of the area we selected is that it's very easy to control the camera.

As for the back camera, we mounted that as high as possible, which offered a much better view. Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions. :)

Mount High, adjust lens accordingly. I have my front one mounted near rearview mirror. Back one high up on the glass. Mounting low means you'll lose some important fields of vision. Including seeing way to much hood and trunk and not enough of the vehicles in front or behind you. I.E. license plates, etc.

Off topic but I go anyway! :)
I see many people referring to the center bump in windshields as "radar". I don't think that's the case.
Even if the car does in fact have a radar (I own a 2018 Honda with the full drive assist stuff) I doubt this bump is the radar, it's a camera at least for all Hondas and Toyotas.
The radar is usually somewhere around the front bumper, mounted low. Look for a flat surface that doesn't seems to belong there and is facing the road head-on, it's likely the radar antenna.
Having a strong microwave source (that's what a radar is) in the passenger cabin, within about 60cm of people's head, that would be a really bad idea!

Now back to dashcam stuff. It would be awesome if we could tap-in this built-in camera but I guess it would mess-up the lane-assist and other drive aids.

Off topic but I go anyway! :)
I see many people referring to the center bump in windshields as "radar". I don't think that's the case.
Even if the car does in fact have a radar (I own a 2018 Honda with the full drive assist stuff) I doubt this bump is the radar, it's a camera at least for all Hondas and Toyotas.
The radar is usually somewhere around the front bumper, mounted low. Look for a flat surface that doesn't seems to belong there and is facing the road head-on, it's likely the radar antenna.
Having a strong microwave source (that's what a radar is) in the passenger cabin, within about 60cm of people's head, that would be a really bad idea!

Now back to dashcam stuff. It would be awesome if we could tap-in this built-in camera but I guess it would mess-up the lane-assist and other drive aids.

I am sure much of it has to do with liability, too. Manufacturers don't want to play big brother, logging all your data, and then risk being responsible for what happens to it. Or tasked with the liability of having to turn over X data through a court order if a crime were committed and the police want to view your driving log.

If the reason were not wanting to aid big brother, then they would simply keep the data storage external to the recording unit. (You could buy the memory storage device separately and could remove it if you want, and then claim it was never installed). They will readily help big brother when it is profitable to them. And compared to some of the practices of corporations these days, the government is the little brother.

If the reason were not wanting to aid big brother, then they would simply keep the data storage external to the recording unit. (You could buy the memory storage device separately and could remove it if you want, and then claim it was never installed). They will readily help big brother when it is profitable to them. And compared to some of the practices of corporations these days, the government is the little brother.

There'd still be some debate though as to whether the vehicle can be modifed and utilized to record internally. I.E. if Police determine through a court order they want to record a certain person's activity.

Look at the NSA admitting to being able to use connected televisions as microphones to listen in on people...https://www.theguardian.com/comment...se-your-tv-to-spy-on-you-but-theres-good-news

Therefore, I wouldn't put it past our intelligence community to device a means of allowing the cameras, if capable of recording, to do so covertly through the use of internal storage. Because, all our cars do have some storage capabilities for updates, maps, etc.

Back