Where to buy better adhesive mounts?

Xybone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just got my B1W. However, the camera and the wire clips have all fallen off the windshield after an hour in all types of weather - hot, cold, overcast. I suspect it's due to the clear adhesive used, as from my experience, those tend to be very cheap. I've not had any issues with my Aukey camera, and that uses black 3M adhesive. Any ideas for a fix? Perhaps BlueSkySea sells adhesive? If not, I can always cut my own, but I'd really rather not have to source it and do it myself.

It's probably because you didn't clean all the grease off the glass before attaching the camera, it doesn't take much road grime to make any sticky pad useless, on clean glass it should stick well forever, haven't seen other people have many issues.

3M pads should be available from any good hardware store, or ebay etc., the B1W is not heavy, it doesn't need the strongest of sticky pads.

You can get rolls of various widths of 3M VHB, various colors, on Amazon. Easy to just cut a piece off in roughly the size you need.

The B1W mount worked fine for me, first for a few months on the glass, and now i have it on the plastic stalk of my mirror where it film the inside cabin.
As the other guys say you are best off getting some M3 VHB tape and replace the stuff on the B1W mount.
My own hold perils have always been between the mount plastic and the tape, i have never had the tape let go of the glass or what ever i have stuck that side to.

It's probably because you didn't clean all the grease off the glass before attaching the camera, it doesn't take much road grime to make any sticky pad useless, on clean glass it should stick well forever, haven't seen other people have many issues.

3M pads should be available from any good hardware store, or ebay etc., the B1W is not heavy, it doesn't need the strongest of sticky pads.
I thought I cleaned it well but I guess it wasn't enough. I'll have another go at it tomorrow I guess.

Does Home Depot sell any black ones? All I saw there were white ones lol.

I thought I cleaned it well but I guess it wasn't enough. I'll have another go at it tomorrow I guess.

Does Home Depot sell any black ones? All I saw there were white ones lol.
Maybe you cleaned with something that leaves a residue, such as anti-mist solution.
Try some simple detergent, as used for washing dishes, or homemade glass cleaner (water + vinegar without the additives of the commercial stuff).

You could also try a car parts store, the sticky pads used for number plates and interior mirrors are far stronger than necessary and are sometimes black.

Just got my B1W. However, the camera and the wire clips have all fallen off the windshield after an hour in all types of weather - hot, cold, overcast. I suspect it's due to the clear adhesive used, as from my experience, those tend to be very cheap. I've not had any issues with my Aukey camera, and that uses black 3M adhesive. Any ideas for a fix? Perhaps BlueSkySea sells adhesive? If not, I can always cut my own, but I'd really rather not have to source it and do it myself.
You can tag me your shipping address or order id, I will send you its adhesive mounts and wire mounts!

The usual advice is after cleaning the window meticulously, place and press the mount then hold the pressure for at least one full minute; three is better. Now wait at least 24 hours before putting weight on the mount such as the cam. I've sticky-mounted 3 cams this way with zero problems. I do take one extra cleaning step though. Using either newspaper or a clean paper towel, I rub the mounting spot vigorously turning the paper to a new spot several times. This will remove all cleaning residues leaving nothing but glass behind. A professional window tinter taught me this method, he has a reputation for never having his work bubble or fail.

Phil

Back