Where to buy legit 3M VHB precut mounting tape?

ChibiSqueeze

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking through Amazon but I'm not sure if they are real 3M or knockoffs. Where would be the best place to buy these, preferably precut in rectangles/squares/circles.

Oh this is not for my dashcam, but actually for my dash cover, the velcro ones they provide are not easily removable so want to try if these 3M will work or velcro command strips.

VHB tape won't stick to the dash, they need a smooth surface, better to look at the 3M dual lock tape if you need something strong but removable

It is somewhat counter intuitive that something sticky "only" work on a smooth surface and not so good on a surface a little more rough.
Or the other way around.
I have a gauge / remote for a 12 V splitter in my car, the provided sticky tape for it grip like a SOB on the dash / center console, but the grip on the smother back of the extremely light remote have come loose long ago, and that's the provided sticky pad.
On the other hand for a Dashcam i used for many years as my R side camera, it was stuck to the back of the B pillar, and actually only about 1/3 of the small pad was engaged on the trim plastic, and it never come off and it have even been bumped several times by people getting in and out the back of my car.

As i recall 3M have pretty comprehensive info on their products, but also have a lot of them, so finding just the right tape reading those might also be a drag.
For the best in store knowledge you are probably best off looking for the tape in a arts and craft store, large supply stores probably have some too, but it is rare their people have knowlege of such a small product.

The VHB tape uses surface tension to stick, it's not a typical adhesive, it's designed for smooth surfaces, they have other products that are suitable for textured surfaces though, they pretty much have most applications covered one way or another, just a matter of choosing the right product for the task

The problem on dashboards is often that they are covered in wax polish, if that is cleaned off then a sticky pad will normally stick fine. Not always the case, depends on what material the dash is made from, recycled tires is a bad one for sticking to, but a sticky pad will stick to most things that don't have wax/oil/grease on, if they are properly cleaned first.

I like to mount my cameras on the sensor housing or window trim which is almost always textured plastic. This is what I use and it works very well. It says it's permanent but that's not entirely true as it can be removed with a bit of effort.

The only problem with mounting on any plastic surface is the outgassing that takes place over time as the oils used in the formulation evaporate. This can happen between the tape and the surface it's on potentially causing the bond to break. It's much worse with new vehicles as the evaporation lessons over time. (That's why new cars develop a 'film' on the inside of the windows.)

Back