Where to mount 3rd camera?

Number400

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Panorama S/CF-100/BulletHD Biker Mate
I currently have two Panoramas covering the front and back. I'm not getting crazy (maybe a little) and for fun, I want to mount up an old mini 803 that I have on either the driver side or passenger side rear window.

Since the rear windows do not go all of the way down, I figure this is a good place to start. I am pretty much limited to making it face outwards due to the camera design.

Any thoughts, experiences on which side would be best in the states on a left hand drive car? I am leaning towards mounting it on the left (driver) side for the only reason that I can more easily see cars on the right and the camera would be invisible to me behind the side pillar. That and most passing is done on the left side.

Wiring will be a bit tricky as the rear doors get used a lot, but I think I can work around that and leave a loop to accommodate the door swing.

Thanks for any input,
Ed

Last edited:
Also, has anyone taken an 803 apart to change the rotating angle? I am wondering if I can re-position the mount/base so that it is under the camera and not above.
Apparently the camera will work upside down and the image still appears the correct way up...

I would install it on the drivers side, but in this country everyone overtakes on the drivers side!

Apparently the camera will work upside down and the image still appears the correct way up...

I would install it on the drivers side, but in this country everyone overtakes on the drivers side!
Allegedly yes Nigel but you still get the odd ##### that undertakes especially on motorways.

I have a cam at the front window, one facing the rear, and a cam looking into the interior of the car.

Depends on what you want the third cam to do,would depend on location. For the third cam, I'm using a battery backup device to power it,so cable issues are null for me.

Thanks Nigel, looking at updating the firmware for that now.

As of a few days ago, I have four cameras running in my Toyota truck. Front - rear and out both rear cab windows.......nearly 360 degree coverage. Side cameras are running at 720/60fps since at most speeds you get too much motion blur at full HD/ 30 fps. Previously, I ran three cameras with the third on the rear drivers side. This started as an experiment with an old dash cam as a third but I'm gravitating towards running four cameras full time.

I have a cam at the front window, one facing the rear, and a cam looking into the interior of the car.

Depends on what you want the third cam to do,would depend on location. For the third cam, I'm using a battery backup device to power it,so cable issues are null for me.
Thanks, now considering mounting to capture the interior and seeing what I can see through the side windows.

Thanks Nigel, looking at updating the firmware for that now.
Apparently it did what I said anyway, that new firmware with the option that turns the image upside down will ensure that the image is always upside down whatever way up the camera is!

^Ha, too late for back seat action, I already have three kids...

But I guess one is never too old to have a romp in the back seat!

Its never too late bro....

Going with this option...

Industrial velcro on the mount and at various places in the car (rear windows, dash, rear dash, etc...). I have a battery pack and the supplied accessory adapter. I can move the camera around as I wish or based on where I am parked. Now if I could just get the firmware to update so I can flip the video...

Wow you are going all out.

The cam in back with its wide angel lens can see the outside through the side doors as well as the front.

All of that Velcro sounds like its junking up the interior.

And why stop at 4 cameras? Why not have 8? Where is the limit?

Until I have remote cameras that sense my movement and turn with my head and eyes, I will never quit!

Seriously, I have an extra camera sitting on my desk so it's going into the car!

As of a few days ago, I have four cameras running in my Toyota truck. Front - rear and out both rear cab windows.......nearly 360 degree coverage. Side cameras are running at 720/60fps since at most speeds you get too much motion blur at full HD/ 30 fps. Previously, I ran three cameras with the third on the rear drivers side. This started as an experiment with an old dash cam as a third but I'm gravitating towards running four cameras full time.
what side cameras are you using? i am using the rear cameras from the 550/650 blackvues which are only 720p30 but because of their cylinder design and mount it makes it very easy to mount on my door and wire through the weather proofing.

what side cameras are you using? i am using the rear cameras from the 550/650 blackvues which are only 720p30 but because of their cylinder design and mount it makes it very easy to mount on my door and wire through the weather proofing.

At the moment I'm using my old DR32 on one side (works beautifully) and a G1WH on the other. The G1 is kind of a "play" camera I bought to experiment with. If I go with this scheme permanently I think I would go Mobius - "B" lens on both sides unless a viable 1080p 60 fps option becomes available. 60fps seems crucial in a side facing camera.

At the moment I'm using my old DR32 on one side (works beautifully) and a G1WH on the other. The G1 is kind of a "play" camera I bought to experiment with. If I go with this scheme permanently I think I would go Mobius - "B" lens on both sides unless a viable 1080p 60 fps option becomes available. 60fps seems crucial in a side facing camera.
i want some sort of mount for the mobius to mount it on the pillar between my front and rear door, with a lens extension to point the lens out the window, while keeping the mobius hidden inside.

id love to do a panorama front and back with mobius sides.

My rear side windows are darkly tinted so it's easy to mount cameras on the glass and still have them be pretty stealthy. I can see where a Mobius extended lens could be a good option. Somebody needs to come up with a good remote housing for a Mobius lens module.

Making a camera track when you turn your head is pretty simple, its been used in FPV flying/ RC for a while now.
But you will have to drive around with a sensor strapped to your head to track its movement, and then you might up looking like tennis players with ther headbands.

PS. i have allready mesured, and a mobius is slightly wider than the mounts that still reside in my car from the old 4 x cctv camera setup.
C3 would be perfect in the capasitor version.

60 FPS sidecams all trottle back when it get dark, so that time of day it will be one big blur :( some one gotta make those 1000X more light sensetive Cmos chips so we can get faster than 1/250 sec exposure times at night.

Last edited:
Back