Where to mount / install dashcamera GPS antenna / mouse ? ( sample pictures )

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Where to mount dashcamera wired GPS antenna / mouse ?

To have a good reception and and professional look install I would recommend to mount at any of the wind-shield A-pillars corners.
Due to have installed dozens different gadgets in my car, I am able to show some GPS antennas mounting places I have used.

NB! For good / strong satellite signal reception make sure your GPS antenna module facing the sky. Most GPS antennas have in-moulded "GPS"-word, - this should be facing the sky. If you are not sure, please contact manufacturer or reseller.

GPS antenna position (1)-2.jpg

GPS antenna position (2)-2.jpg

GPS antenna position (3)-2.jpg

GPS antenna position (4)-2.jpg

I have flipped the guts of the GPS antenne for my SG9665GC, and then put in in the upper left corner of windscreen.

Have been keeping a eye on the performance of the setup, and cold boot is 40-50 seconds, and a hot boot is well within 5 seconds.

I have flipped the guts of the GPS antenne for my SG9665GC, and then put in in the upper left corner of windscreen.

Have been keeping a eye on the performance of the setup, and cold boot is 40-50 seconds, and a hot boot is well within 5 seconds.

the performance is a little better face up on the dash, I think it's still acceptable when flipped and the slight performance drop is an ok trade off for the convenience offered

I mentioned recently in my GT680W super-cap mod thread that I shortened the GPS cable to 8 inches and mounted the "mouse" right near the camera so that everything can be mounted on the window frame of the door. So far this seems to be working quite well and it made me wonder why something similar isn't available from manufacturers. Why not just produce a remote GPS with a short cable that can be mounted on the glass right next to or near the camera? I've always assumed the reason for a remote unit was to avoid RF interference from the camera itself but with so many cameras available now with GPS modules built-in I'm not clear about this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned recently in my GT680W super-cap mod thread that I shortened the GPS cable to 8 inches and mounted the "mouse" right near the camera so that everything can be mounted on the window frame of the door. So far this seems to be working quite well and it made me wonder why something similar isn't available from manufacturers. Why not just produce a remote GPS with a short cable that can be mounted on the glass right next to or near the camera? I've always assumed the reason for a remote unit was to avoid RF interference from the camera itself but with so many cameras available now with GPS modules built-in I'm not clear about this question.

too close to the camera can affect performance

Ill go with 1 central GPS antenna ( bluetooth ) all cameras can feed off, that way all cameras will display same time.

But this will offcourse tie a brand / developer witch might not be smart in the long run as technologies evolve and hardware change.

That's what I thought but my little experiment has been working so far, so I was wondering. How do cameras with internal GPS modules differ?

they generally don't work as well and normally require shielding of PCB's, coatings inside the housing to prevent EMI etc to get acceptable performance, the CMOS sensor is the worst offender for knocking out GPS signal

they generally don't work as well and normally require shielding of PCB's, coatings inside the housing to prevent EMI etc to get acceptable performance, the CMOS sensor is the worst offender for knocking out GPS signal

Thanks for the explanation. My only experience with internal GPS is the 0806 pre-production sample Rayman sent. Usually the GPS works well, but then again, sometimes it just doesn't.

Thanks for the explanation. My only experience with internal GPS is the 0806 pre-production sample Rayman sent. Usually the GPS works well, but then again, sometimes it just doesn't.

that one has some advantages over other designs as the GPS and CMOS are as far apart as they can logically be with the design, they just haven't done any shielding to prevent the interference, it could be improved

Panorama 2, S, G series has internally body shielded with EMI coating, there for no problem for G in regards to GPS recemption or interference caused by CMOS.
Also, earlier production version of Panorama 2 had only 30-35cm "long" GPS mouse cables, and was always working fine for me even when mounted 10cm away from CMOS. But thats because main unit body is shielded with EMI coating.

Panorama 2, S, G series has internally body shielded with EMI coating, there for no problem for G in regards to GPS recemption or interference caused by CMOS.
Also, earlier production version of Panorama 2 had only 30-35cm "long" GPS mouse cables, and was always working fine for me even when mounted 10cm away from CMOS. But thats because main unit body is shielded with EMI coating.

it's not just the coating, the processor and CMOS are shielded also

it's not just the coating, the processor and CMOS are shielded also

Yes, that is obvious to me. Forgot to ad this importance as well.

Panorama shielding.jpg

niko, facing it upwards does provide a small advantage in terms of a seconds that get saved during cold boot but has almost no effect when we're talking about hot start of GPS. The convenience is a key factor for so I'd much rather put it somewhere where it's invisible. The GPS should always be facing the open sky, that's important and it should not be kept behind a metallic surface since these surfaces are ferromagnetic, they do reduce the accuracy and boot speed of the system.

the performance is a little better face up on the dash, I think it's still acceptable when flipped and the slight performance drop is an ok trade off for the convenience offered
Here is mine. Gps signal working great and I like to mount it under the dots shade.

Attachments

• 2015-10-25 16.47.25.jpg
    2015-10-25 16.47.25.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
Here is mine. Gps signal working great and I like to mount it under the dots shade.

I believe in cars with heated windshield a dotted / shade around RVmirror arm is the only place where to mount GPS atnenna to get signal.

Back