Where to mount your camera and running the cables

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Once you get an in car camera you need think about the ideal mounting location, before you get to deciding where you’d like to install it, you should check on the legalities of using it, in some countries in car cameras are not legal, in others you may need to make sure there is a warning sticker visible to notify your passengers that their conversations may be recorded, in some the use of suction mounted cameras is a problem and there may be rules associated with the LCD screen and when it is permissible for the display to be on.

Legalities aside there are common sense rules that will always apply regardless of where you want to use the camera.

The camera should never block your field of view and should not be in a position to distract you, LCD screens and LED lights in your direct line of sight are easily distracting, particularly at night, for most vehicles the ideal location is behind the rear view mirror to keep it out of sight, what you do want though is to make sure that the camera lens is within the sweep area of the windscreen wipers so that you can keep the window clean in front of the camera.

windscreen-zonea-440.jpg

Pic 1. The area pictured in red should always be unobstructed; the area behind the mirror covered by the sweep of the wipers shown in pink is the preferred mounting location.

Mounting up high on the window like this also gives the best field of view for the camera, you will most likely find that if you adjust the aim of the camera for more road and less sky you’ll obtain the best results from the auto white balance of the camera, there’s no perfect setting that is correct for all vehicles so a little trial and error is required to find the optimum results.

Once a mounting location is decided for your in car camera it’s important to consider the cabling, car cameras are typically supplied with power cables around 4 meters in length, this is to allow enough cable to be able to get from the top of the windscreen to a power outlet while being able to hide the cables for a more discreet installation.

For cameras that have direct 12v/24v input it may be possible to obtain power within the roof space, from an interior light or powered mirror circuit, some vehicles have auxiliary circuits in this ceiling space already but regardless they should always be checked to ensure they are appropriately fused and whether they offer switched or accessory power depending on your installation needs.

Under no circumstances should power ever be taken from any circuit related to SRS airbag systems.

When running the cables it is important to always run the wires on the passenger side, in the event of a cable not being secured correctly or coming loose while driving, if on the passenger side there is less chance of distraction and no chance of your vision being obscured or cables interfering with the controls as could happen if the cabling was run on the driver’s side.

cable routing RHD.jpg

I Like-d drawing about cars that drive on the "wrong"-side of the road :) ... @ me living in Ireland.
Here and in UK "they" think they drive on correct side of the road and most rest countries drive on wrong side :p

I Like-d drawing about cars that drive on the "wrong"-side of the road :) ... @ me living in Ireland.
Here and in UK "they" think they drive on correct side of the road and most rest countries drive on wrong side :p

76 Countries drive on the left. 35% of the World population drive on the left. More than most people would've guessed?

76 Countries drive on the left. 35% of the World population drive on the left. More than most people would've guessed?

I drive on both, China is the opposite to Australia, 30 years of driving on one side does leave you favoring one over the other though

what happens if you drive a McLaren F1? :)

McLarenF1_Int2.jpg

Oh get someone like a tv station to have their cameras on you. Hehe

Regards
Duke

Interesting, but its a fact that premium luxury cars can be almost ANY color ( maybe except P.Hilton light pink ) and they still look cool. Same way with steering wheel: if its a cool car - nobody cares on which side it is.
Those who can afford luxury car, they can afford to hire small team of engineeres who can design and built in unique ulta-high end stealth dash-cam system ;)

what happens if you drive a McLaren F1? :)

If anyone hasn't seen the McLaren F1 vs Bugatti Veyron drag race video, it's a 'must-see'...

I love how the F1 slaughters the Veyron off the line. Skip to 3min 45sec if you don't want to view the build-up.

I drive on both, China is the opposite to Australia, 30 years of driving on one side does leave you favoring one over the other though
Getting to drive on both sides of the road....
Getting to drive Holden UTEs.....
Getting to drive a Cherry QQ......

You've done it once again jokiin. I'm jealous

Last edited by a moderator:
According to some on this site, installing a cam is only for serious DiYers & if you aren't so inclined then you'll need to use the services of a professional installer!

According to some on this site, installing a cam is only for serious DiYers & if you aren't so inclined then you'll need to use the services of a professional installer!

we're catering to both types by including the hardwire loom and a cig power lead

U can drive like u own the road....because u probably do!

The F1's ECU downloads data to the McLaren Factory for diagnostic / maintenance purposes.

The McLaren engineers were puzzled by the data from one particular F1, which indicated that the car was exceeding 200mph on a daily basis.

They contacted the German owner, who confirmed that he used his F1 for commuting from home to his office on the Autobahn, & that he usually exceeded 200mph most days!

knocking head.jpg

However, if he commuted down here, he'd have to delete the last 0....unless the F1 flew.

er, not to get back on topic needlessly, but -- has anyone taken power from the little "map light" console right behind the rear view mirror?
Those are (Subaru Forester '03) just simple switched "Festoon" bulbs -- I've replaced the original bulbs with LEDs that have adapters to fit the Festoon socket, and it would be very easy to connect there.

er, not to get back on topic needlessly, but -- has anyone taken power from the little "map light" console right behind the rear view mirror?
Those are (Subaru Forester '03) just simple switched "Festoon" bulbs -- I've replaced the original bulbs with LEDs that have adapters to fit the Festoon socket, and it would be very easy to connect there.

If your camera use 5 vdc you have to house a adapter/transformer there too.

Back