Which 64 GB or 128 GB micro SD card for Viofo A119 V3?

Privateer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
RoadHawk DC3 (x1), RoadHawk HD2 (x3)
Hi,

I'm a long time (since 2013) user of RoadHawk dashcams. RoadHawks are OK but they tend to fail after a while, so I've made the decision to try the Viofo A119 V3 as people on this forum have strongly recommended it.

The reason why I have kept with RoadHawk for so long is that they use standard SD cards and I have a number (around 25) SD cards as I like to change cards every day when I'm on holiday and then save all of the footage to an external hard drive. Until now, I haven't wanted to change over to micro SD cards.

The Viofo A119 V3 and every other current dashcam on the market use micro SD cards. So I'm looking for either 64 GB or more likey 128 GB micro SD cards that are reliable, fast enough, and cost-effective that can preferably be bought from Amazon UK.

Thanks,

Hi Dashmellow,

Dispatched from and sold by Amazon
Thank you for your advice, as I am worried whether a card is genuine or not.

I ended up ordering a Samsung, albeit a Samsung EVO Plus 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I U3, because of the price of £18.99 for a 128 GB:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B06XFHQGB9
I hope that's OK!

Many thanks for your help.

Hi Dashmellow,

I ended up ordering a Samsung, albeit a Samsung EVO Plus 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I U3, because of the price of £18.99 for a 128 GB:

I hope that's OK!

Yes, the Plus is good too.

Hi Dashmellow,

I hope that's OK!

You're welcome.

Yes, the EVO Plus is fine. In fact, it is the identical product as the EVO Select! The Samsung EVO Select is simply a rebranded EVO Plus that Amazon has exclusive rights to sell.

Interestingly, at Amazon US, the EVO Select generally sells for less that the EVO Plus. I don't know why the inverse is true in the UK.

https://www.windowscentral.com/whats-difference-between-samsung-evo-select-and-evo-plus

Yes, the EVO Plus is fine
Thanks, when I look at card specification numbers I get crosseyed!

Many thanks for confirming that the cards I bought are good enough, at £18.99 for a fast 128GB it seemed almost too good to be true! :unsure:

Regards,

it seemed almost too good to be true! :unsure:
I suggest you test it with h2testw.exe when you get it.
Not saying that it is too good to be true, but once you have tested it then hopefully you won't need to worry any more!
Anything other than the Amazon Select version does have a chance of being fake so always make sure they are "fulfilled by Amazon", or paid for through Paypal.

I suggest you test it with h2testw.exe when you get it.
Not saying that it is too good to be true, but once you have tested it then hopefully you won't need to worry any more!
Anything other than the Amazon Select version does have a chance of being fake so always make sure they are "fulfilled by Amazon", or paid for through Paypal.

The link @Privateer provided to the Samsung EVO Plus memory card he purchased on Amazon UK says "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon." The card should be fine.

sold-by.jpg

Certainly should be, but it is still worth testing it!

I've purchased enough memory cards from Amazon that I would have total confidence in its pedigree. The whole point of purchasing directly from Amazon is so you don't have to worry about counterfeit memory. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time engaging in lengthy testing procedures unless there was a problem and even then, I'd more likely just return it.

Would this card be any good for use in a V3?

The specification looks good, and the lifetime warranty is excellent if it is your lifetime, on the other hand if the lifetime warranty ends when the card dies because it is the card's lifetime then maybe it is not so good!

Normally we recommend the brands known to be good, but given the price it is not a big risk.

Thanks, they also do a 256gb card for £19.99 but I’ve read elsewhere that 256gb cards are likely to fail quicker than 128gb cards so am a bit wary.

Thanks, they also do a 256gb card for £19.99 but I’ve read elsewhere that 256gb cards are likely to fail quicker than 128gb cards so am a bit wary.
Depends on the technology used to make them, for the big brands like Samsung I would expect the 256 to a lot longer than the standard 128, and a little less long than the 128 endurance Pro.

For the MyMemory cards, we don't have enough information or experience to know how good they are, and it is quite likely that they will vary over time anyway. For anything other than 24/7 recording or professional use (eg taxi) I don't see any issue in giving them a go, but check the footage fairly often just in case they don't behave properly.

There must be an explanation for them being so cheap, maybe they are made from memory rejected by Samsung and put in the 2nds pile? For example, they may be low on reserve memory cells to use if some of the main cells die, and thus they may end up achieving a shorter life than the ones Samsung use which have plenty of spare cells.

I was just about to place an order today that included the Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB micro SD card and the memory card disappeared from my cart. Seems they sold out of the 'sold by and fulfilled by' Amazon memory card.

I've been burnt before buying something that turned out to be counterfeit items sold by Amazon (spark plugs, of all things). So I'm a bit leary now if it's not sold by and fulfilled by Amazon (if the seller is unknown to me).

Think I'll wait for a bit to see if the micro SD card gets restocked before I place the order.

I was just about to place an order today that included the Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB micro SD card and the memory card disappeared from my cart. Seems they sold out of the 'sold by and fulfilled by' Amazon memory card.

I've been burnt before buying something that turned out to be counterfeit items sold by Amazon (spark plugs, of all things). So I'm a bit leary now if it's not sold by and fulfilled by Amazon (if the seller is unknown to me).

Think I'll wait for a bit to see if the micro SD card gets restocked before I place the order.
The SanDisk High Endurance cards seem to be working well in the Viofo cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07NY23WBG

Thanks. How do they compare to the Pro endurance version? Any idea? Might not be worth waiting for the Pro to come back in stock. Then again, the A119v3 is still out of stock anyway.
The SanDisk is U3 rated and should have a faster write speed than the Samsung U1 card.

Back