Which cable route have most took for A129 Duo rear camera?

DashCam11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I started down A pillar, along sill and then into back seat, but ran out of cable now. Suppose better to go inside roof lining?

Is it easy that way? No rattles with the cable inside the lining?

From the back camera I ran the cable under the headliner, down my B pillar, under my door sill, up my A pillar and then back under the headliner to the front camera.

From the back camera I ran the cable under the headliner, down my B pillar, under my door sill, up my A pillar and then back under the headliner to the front camera.

Ah ok, so I could reroute up my B pillar then maybe. Did you have plenty cable?

mine plays havok with my dab radio in the car. routed the rear cam cable on the oposite side to the dab aerial cable too and it still interferes. once i unplug the rear cam from the front cam the dab is fine. anyone got any tips?

It depends on the car, but in both installs I did (2015 SUV and a large 1990's sedan), I went the following way:

-from front cam, under front edge of headliner over to driver's A-pillar

-under A-pillar trim to door opening trim

-under top edge of driver's door opening trim to B-pillar

-under B-pillar trim to rear door opening

-under top edge of rear driver's side door opening trim to C-pillar

-under C-pillar trim (this is also where I stashed the bulk of the extra camera cable, as it's quite roomy)

-finally, across under rear edge of headliner to rear cam.

I think this route uses the shortest cable run possible.

No real reason to run the camera cable on the driver's side vs. passenger. It was just that I was already working on that side, since I also used the 3-wire power kit, and typically the fuse panel is on the same side of the cabin as the driver.

No noise or rattling from the camera cable. Trim pieces hold the cable in place well enough that it doesn't seem to flop around.

Also, note that you can reverse the camera cable if you like. The labels that say "front camera" and "rear camera" do not mean you can only hook it up that way. You may want the 90° plug in the back and straight one in the front.

Cam in centre of front windscreen, cable to front left and straight behind roof lining down left hand side of car, and then right to the back, out at the back down the centre of rear window.

I think this route uses the shortest cable run possible.
Maybe not!

Mine: Front cam behind mirror, rear cam near centre of rear window, cable runs in a straight line above the centre of the roof lining, only way it could be shorter would be to go under the roof lining!

Running above the centre of the roof lining is often easy, just need to push a flexible rod from back to front, attach the cable to the rod, and pull the rod back through bringing the cable with it.

don't see much relevance to which route is shorter or longer, cabling should be done using whichever route is appropriate to the vehicle

Maybe not!

Mine: Front cam behind mirror, rear cam near centre of rear window, cable runs in a straight line above the centre of the roof lining, only way it could be shorter would be to go under the roof lining!

Running above the centre of the roof lining is often easy, just need to push a flexible rod from back to front, attach the cable to the rod, and pull the rod back through bringing the cable with it.
A sunroof would make that route a bit more difficult.

Plus in my case I have 2 flip down DVD screens. Both centered, one over the 2nd row and one over the 3rd row.

I had to buy the longer rear camera cable that's available. The one that came with the camera wasn't long enough for my installation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had to buy the longer rear camera cable that's available. The one that came with the camera wasn't long enough for my installation.
Didn't know longer one was available. Think I've just went the wrong route though as too short. I'll have to pull out all back and start again....

Yeah the stock cable is 6m and they also sell an 8m one.

6m should be plenty for most vehicles, but was about a foot ot two short for the way I ran it. I also have a very large SUV

My car isn't large so should fit really. Description above on route but when I got behind back seat I knew want going to fit so haven't went back.

Think I'll have to take out and go roof lining, seems to be easiest way and also will be where the rear camera is

I'm having hard time with rear cam routing. Wire is kinda thick.
10th gen civic sedan

Right now it's rear headliner to passenger C pillar wedged between liner.. weather stripping through top across.. then wedged between A pillar and headliner and to the front..

I'm going to re-wire, don't feel comfortable especially when its around air bags..thinking of routing from bottom instead. Have to remove A pillar

I started down A pillar, along sill and then into back seat, but ran out of cable now. Suppose better to go inside roof lining?

Is it easy that way? No rattles with the cable inside the lining?

Depends in you're driving an SUV or Sedan. If new or Old.

Older cars don't have Side Curtain Airbags, so you can simply tuck the wire under the pillar and trim without much care in the world.

Newer vehicles have side curtains / airbags. So you must remove the A & C Pillar in Sedans and tuck the wire BEHIND the airbag. As not to cross or impede deployment.

Suvs are different. You start in back by running the wire up the grommet and into plastic sheathing so it isn't left dangling on the rear windshield. You can find youtube videos. From here route behind any pillars with side curtains.

I'm having hard time with rear cam routing. Wire is kinda thick.
10th gen civic sedan

Right now it's rear headliner to passenger C pillar wedged between liner.. weather stripping through top across.. then wedged between A pillar and headliner and to the front..

I'm going to re-wire, don't feel comfortable especially when its around air bags..thinking of routing from bottom instead. Have to remove A pillar
You can usually pull the door gasket away from the frame, which usually exposes a cavity with enough room to route the cable. You should also be able to route the cable behind the air bag and over to the windshield.

5 - TSaosRc.jpg

Full install album here:
Imgur doesn't want to work, paste this into your browser and delete the space between .com and /a https://imgur.com /a/8upHtn6

The airbags are lower than where the headliner and pillars meet, a cable near the top won't effect the airbag. It doesn't hurt to remove the pillar interior trim to see if there's a good way to route it to help support the cable. The cable should tuck up there nicely, just wedge your fingers under the headliner and stuff it in...again, a lot easier to do with the interior trim removed, look up ways to do that on youtube. I personally recommend removing the trim pieces one at a time, routing your cable past that, reinstall the trim then keep moving down the line.

If you're really having an issue, make a thread and include pictures and I'm sure you'll get some help. I highly recommend searching youtube for installs, you should get to see how to remove the trim and/or see where the airbags are to give you the confidence of your wiring job being safe.

Uh...NO NO AND NO!

New cars have side curtains (airbags). You will ALWAYS end up crossing the airbag on the A-Pillar of a Sedan and C-Pillar of a Sedan. B Pillar Curtain sits above the Pillar itself and can safely be tucked without removal in my vehicle.

Those videos where people simply push the wire under the trim are improper installs. Period. Wire MUST be routed BEHIND the curtain to not impede deployment in the event of an accident. Tucking without pillar removal is ONLY acceptable in older model vehicles without side curtains.

That's why I ran mine along the bottom, under the door sills. Easy, they just pull up and have wire harness channels under them. The only airbag I had to deal with was the passenger side A pillar next to the windshield. That was easily removed and the cable routed behind the bag and down to the kick panel.

You know you're right, I didn't consider the side curtain airbags. Thank you for correcting me. Check your vehicle's airbag locations!

In the case of side curtain airbags; you still should be fine tucking it against the trim, as they(side curtain airbags) roll out. BUT it is preferable to drop part of the headliner to tuck behind the side curtain airbags, it will both support the cable and be 100% safe...safety is always priority so why risk it with should?

Again, you are still wrong. YOU ABSOLUTELY cannot tuck the wire into the A or C Pillar Trim. Look at the squiggly lines. You'll cross over the side curtain with the wire. Same as the C Pillar. In my vehicle, the only safe area to "tuck" is the B-Pillar since the curtain sits above the seatbelt.

Why don’t you do what Gooffeyguy suggested. Makes sense to me and the route I will try to take on my Tacoma

Back