Which camera to recommend when switching vehicles all the time?

Dutchdekkers

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dear Forum Colleagues, what camera do you recommend we purchase? We need to switch cars every couple hours, so it needs to be a camera that is easy to windscreen mount or other mount, and to power through the cigarette lighter, or charging the battery overnight.

FURTHER
  • Front is 90% of what we want to film. Rear is not too important.
  • We would love as wide an angle as possible.
  • Good night and low light recording.
  • GPS plotting of the car's whereabouts and speed at any given location.
Looking forward to your advice, with warm greetings,

Dutch

If it have to be easy you are down to suction cup mounted cameras, and that now rule out a lot of cameras, also it is far from stealthy.
You could do stick on mounts and then just have mounts in all the vehicles you can slide the camera onto, most stick on cameras i think come with 2 mounts.
Rear is tricky, you will probably have to make do with a single channel camera there too as you cant really move the rear cameras of dual channel systems.
Suction cup mount in the rear can / will be a problem due to the defroster elements in the glass.
Best low light recording now are attained by cameras using the Sony IMX 291 sensor
GPS are close to default now, in some brands / model it can be a additional purchase.

If it have to be easy you are down to suction cup mounted cameras, and that now rule out a lot of cameras, also it is far from stealthy.
You could do stick on mounts and then just have mounts in all the vehicles you can slide the camera onto, most stick on cameras i think come with 2 mounts.
Rear is tricky, you will probably have to make do with a single channel camera there too as you cant really move the rear cameras of dual channel systems.
Suction cup mount in the rear can / will be a problem due to the defroster elements in the glass.
Best low light recording now are attained by cameras using the Sony IMX 291 sensor
GPS are close to default now, in some brands / model it can be a additional purchase.
Thanks Kamkar1. I could of course make a mount of sorts myself, and mount a mounted camera on to it. We could then move that platform, with the mounted camera from car to car, and stabilize that platform with e.g. suction cups unto the windscreen. We're not interested in making it stealthy. It's purely for insurance reasons and potential unjustified violation tickets. BUT, such an approach would require a mounted camera powered through the cigarette lighter. Any suggestions?

There was a time when all you could buy where suction cup mounted dash cams but manufacturers have gravitated to cameras that mount directly to the glass for stealth and stability reasons so now it's a bit harder (but certainly not impossible) to find a decent suction cup mounted camera. Nevertheless, many of the better quality and more popular cameras today are indeed semi-permanently mounted with 3M VHB tape.

There is one well reagrded camera that may provide a good solution for you though and that is the Viofo A119S V2 which you can read up on HERE. The reason the Viofo may be the solution you seek is that it is perhaps the only windshield glass mounted camera that has a manufacturer supplied suction cup adapter available.

See:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/new-mount-option-for-a119s.28595/

https://www.viofo.com/accessories/50-suction-cup-mount-for-viofo-a119-a119s-car-dash-camera.html

same suction cup that we use

Wasn't aware you offered one. I guess that makes sense since your cameras are in the identical housings and you have a professional relationship with Viofo. In that case I would add your cameras to my recommendation here.

Wasn't aware you offered one. I guess that makes sense since your cameras are in the identical housings and you have a professional relationship with Viofo. In that case I would add your cameras to my recommendation here.

fits GC, X2/X2PRO, DC/DCPRO, we made the tooling to fit each bracket type rather than having to have different mounts for each, wasn't feasible otherwise, same reason we share some of our tooling with Viofo, helps get the cost down

Thank you all so much! I've written customer support at Viofo, using your very specific input. Thanks again!

Back