Which dash cam should I buy? - Australia

m-120

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First of all, I am a new member so please excuse for my ignorance or anything like that as I dont know much about dash cams. So I would really grateful and appreciate if you guys can help me or provide me some informations with what I am looking for.

What I am looking for a dash cam is that can recording 24 hours video or take photos every few seconds without charging for 24 hours (parking mode I think?) or 24 hours battery that I can change it every night with two batteries (ie, every night, I take the battery and memory card out and put a 2nd battery and 2nd memory card so I can go home and charge the first battery for the next day and upload the video or photos to my computer from the 1st memory card so I can delete and place it the next day I dont miss out the next day if you know what I mean)? And it should includes very good quality (even at night), it should be decent (reading license plates is important but not necessary), it should stay in the car all the time. I'd like to use it as a security cam in my car.

About the price, it doesnt really matter to me but it should be about $100-$500 US dollars.

So do you guys know which dash cam is the suitable or similar for me?

Really appreciate if you guys can help me with that.
Thanks again.

Have a great weekend and happy easter everyone. :)

A few ideas to throw outthere,

I dont think a 32GB card can record for 24 hours with decent quality never mind the power requirements which would be easier,

something like this might work with motion detection only but im guessing the night vision is bad, and if the infra red leds glow red then they are a giveaway

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-720P-Mo ... 5034314%26
you need something with a HDD

if your car is near your house then you could use a wireless IP camera with a NVR in your house which would cost alot more than $100
dont forget if the equipment costs alot it might get knicked

As cloudyseas said, if the distance is small you just need a dashcam which have video out and keeping it on, even not recording. Using an wireless transmission you can record the live streaming using some PC or other standalone recorder like the one described in that thread.

If you can't use wireless but still want some camera which can record even at 5fps or taking time-lapse photos, you can think to a 808 #16 camera and also looking to it's GUI setting tool if that settings are good for you. You just need to create the mounting system because is not a dedicated dashcam.

Some dates about the 5fps recording:
1min. of 1280x720 30fps including audio = 7MB size (almost 70 hours on 32GB card)
1min. of 1280x720 30fps without audio = 3.5MB size (almost 140 hours on 32GB card) Sample here
A nice feature of 5fps recording is that the playback will be at 30fps, so you will have a 6xtimes speedup when watching the recorded video as you can see in the sample video.

Please read or watch the links before answering or asking again.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Depend in what direction you want to record, how big is the picture you want to record, how much details you want to record. If you need big picture you can’t get details. If you need details then you can’t get a big picture. So one camera can’t do both tasks, considering your $500 range. The continuous surveillance is another issue.
The technology is there, but I think do not go further than this:
FUHO SA-650CF 4CH Mobile DVR GPS
http://soundcry.com/video/EqyVNL9H_LA/F ... CF_4CH_GPS
They are able to capture the road and pick up the License Plate numbers using two different cameras looking some direction, but with different lenses size in mm, different focal distance, and a DVR with more than only one channel
With some research, and not rushing right now to buy, you might get a good deal. In 2013 some dash camera can support more than 2 channels.

Your post is offtopic here. He is not asking for a camera with very bad quality recording which costs $500.
He is more interested about a very long record, about 24 hours.
Please keep your news in your topic about the 4CH camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

If this:
http://soundcry.com/video/EqyVNL9H_LA/F ... CF_4CH_GPS
You consider a bad quality Mobile camera DVR recorder, then you better go and see a Psychologist or Psychiatrist, unless you are affiliated with some dash cam car sellers that pretend to collect verifiable evidence but fail very badly.

Yes, you are right, I need to go to a Psychologist or Psychiatrist if I will pay $500 for a camera which record SD resolution at 704x480. FPS? Maybe 15fps?
Yes, in year 2005 was a good camera, but we are now in 2013 and expect to record at 1920x1080, 30fps.

enjoy,
Mtz

Well I'm selling a FineVu CR500 with CPL lens, comes with free shipping.

See my signature for details.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Milamber said:

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late reply.

Is it still available?
Can it record 24 hours without having turn the car on?

Thanks again.

m-120 said:
Milamber said:

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late reply.

Is it still available?
Can it record 24 hours without having turn the car on?

Thanks again.

Almost anything will record for that long if you use a Power Magic or similar Whether your SD card would hold all that amount would be maybe a problem
Also whether your battery would stand it for very long. They also only record in PARKING mode when stopped which means movement or a bump will start it recording and then shut down when it ceases until something disturbs it again

Dash cams are not really security cams as they only point one way So if you have one in the windscreen it cant see back and sides which means that someone could break in through a door and you would never see it.

If you want a security camera you really need one like a Car sales would have Up on a pole taking in the whole area that the car is sitting in.

Or find somewhere else to park the car

$500, I think you can buy 2 well made units for front and rear view( suggested )
or 10 units of crap for 360 degree also the sky and ground view :D

Back