Which dash cam to get to extract data from via software?

edvision

App Developer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a dash cam as I am buying a car soon too. Like most people posting here, I am completely lost given the choice of dash cams... Could anyone enlighten me on which dash cams to consider given the following:
* budget is £120-£170
* want good video quality in both day and night time (2K or 4K if possible)
* easy to use

Additionally, since I write code I would like to buy one where I can easily extract gps and speed information for instance.

Do you know any dash cams that would fit these criteria?

Thanks.

Check out Viofo A119 V3 or A129 Duo and see if it meets your needs.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks Niko. Is it easy to extract GPS, speed data, etc from the files produced by the Viofo A119 V3?

there have been various programs written over the years to do this so it should be something you can handle, all the playback programs that display map data use the same data to do what they do

You might also like to check out the "Modified Firmware" threads here on DCT for those cams. They are mostly geared toward video improvements but could be interesting to you. It seems that Novatek and Amberella chipsets have the easiest firmware access- at least that's where most of this kind of work is being done. GPS data extraction should be a breeze for someone with good coding skills.

Phil

It seems that Novatek and Ambarella chipsets have the easiest firmware access- at least that's where most of this kind of work is being done. GPS data extraction should be a breeze for someone with good coding skills.
depends how it's setup but some cameras dump the GPS logs to a seperate file, gets real easy then

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will try out the Viofo A119 V3 and feedback on my experience with it.

Back