Which dashcam offers the best video quality? Budget $1000

jsan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
With money not being an issue, which Dashcam would you guys recommend that offers the best video quality? I currently have a Gopro but unfortunately It can't be used as a proper reliable dedicated dashcam. So please list your recommendations

Thanks

"Best" is a subjective word so opinions will vary. Right now the A119v3 is looking sweet to me. For a 2-channel cam the A129 with modified firmware looks nearly as good.

Coming from an action-cam, you might not find colors as true nor sharpness settings showing the truest view but in a dashcam these are usually 'tweaked' to enhance plate capture- a very important factor for a dashcam.

Phil

Is the street Guardian worth the extra money over similar made china cameras?

With a budget that high, and you having used a gopro as a dashcam, you have to be careful not having too high expectations to what you can / will get.
So you don't have to spend that much, not even half of that.
You can go, i must have 4K like my gopro, and there are 4K dashcams on the market, but i can not recommend any of the current models, i am hoping the #2 wave of 4K will be better.

ATM the best all round performance you get from cameras with the IMX 291 ( 1080p ) and IMX 335 ( 1440p ) sensors, and a range of brands use those, some with no updates or for that matter support, others that do try to make their product better after launch, and that actually listen to customers.

Regarding the SG cameras ( which i am affiliated with ) then i personally feel the extra price are worth it, it is not like that extra price translate to much better image quality compared to some other brands with much similar hardware, but i do think some of that extra go to hardware, and their excellent customer care and support are for sure also something i am willing to pay a little extra for too.
It is very easy to find other brands, even big ones, that have no way near the same level of support you get from SG, and of course a plethora of brands which will sell you a camera,,, and then you hear nothing more from them.
SG are also made in China, but not "unrestrained China" which we have seen so often with cameras and other things can go very very bad.

I've never owned any SG or Viofo A-series cams but I've followed along here on DCT for over 5 years now, so FWIW here's my opinion:

SG will give you the highest quality builds, the best tuned firmware for dashcam use, and by far the best customer support you've ever experienced with anything anywhere. Member @jokiin is the manufacturer and he knows what we want from dashcams, and he delivers that. Plate capture will be as good as anyone else does because he knows how much that matters. He knows more about dashcams, their components parts, and their software than anyone else I've ever come across. Development is a bit slow but only because he tests very thoroughly before releasing updates.

There may be other cams offering equal performance in many aspects, and possibly even better vids in some circumstances. Viofo does wonders with his cams and I like them a lot too- the newest stuff he sells is excellent and he's updating his product line constantly and quickly. Some updates are a little buggy but those get worked out quickly. I feel the A119V3 and the A129 Duo are some of the best dashcam values you can get.

I'd love having any of these, but if I had to bet my hide on one cam andI had the budget for it, that cam would be a SG product. FWIW, YMMV

Phil

Back