Which dashcam to buy?

cantremember

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hi there.
I bought a K2000 Carcam and for the price it was good, but I need a new cam and I don't know which to get.

The GS2000 (or 1000?) fitted all my requirements except for one thing: extremely narrow field of view. The K2000 has a 140 angle, while I don't know about the GS2000 but from the demo videos I've seen of it, it's about half.

Any other cameras to look at?
My requirements are basically:
- Standard dashcam stuff (auto stop/start, loop recording, suction thing behind rearview mirror,..)
- 1080p recording with good quality (like the GS2000), the K2000 was a bit of a scam on that but considering the price I can't complain
- Not more expensive than 150$
- Wide angle lense
- No dual channel, I don't want to film myself
- GPS speed/location not necessary
- Motion detection not necessary
- G-sensor not necessary

Even though the K2000 advertises 140 degrees, the actual viewing angle is 90 degrees. The GS1000 at 1080p is 73 degrees at 1080p and 98 degrees at 720p. Check out this Russian Site (using google translate). They have measured the actual viewing angle of many Chinese dash cams. DVR-210 is the K2000 and Recam ZX7 is the GS1000.

For under $150, perhaps the Livue LB100 meets your needs?

DashCamMan said:
Even though the K2000 advertises 140 degrees, the actual viewing angle is 90 degrees. The GS1000 at 1080p is 73 degrees at 1080p and 98 degrees at 720p. Check out this Russian Site (using google translate). They have measured the actual viewing angle of many Chinese dash cams. DVR-210 is the K2000 and Recam ZX7 is the GS1000.

For under $150, perhaps the Livue LB100 meets your needs?

I'm not clear on their test measurement with that wall chart but it's probably worth remembering that the angle listed in the specifications is measured diagonally so I would think how much vertical resolution they offer impacts the resolution specified, you can see sometimes in videos that some models show a greater vertical image often showing half the dashboard or the hood of the car in the image, even cameras that look the same like a lot of Chinese cameras do it will depend on what optics they have used as to what the end result is and not all that look similar will give the same results, not easy from a buyers perspective when the numbers offered aren't directly comparable to others

Hmm. I'm guessing the GS2000 also has narrower field of view since it's very similar to GS1000?

Choosing between very good image or very wide image is a dillema who's killing me. Personally I don't care very much about vertical field of view, since I can just point the camera down so I see the hood, and see less of the sky, since we are nearly 2015 yet cars cannot fly. :)
But if the 720p GS1000 has significantly better image than the K2000 then I guess I'm happy aswell. Or are there other 1080p cameras in the same price range I should consider?

cantremember said:
Choosing between very good image or very wide image is a dillema who's killing me.

quality beats quantity every time for me, your criteria may vary but I much prefer a detailed image

Back