Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
Fuse Holder Bypass usage

Which connection to use for powering your dash cam

If you want to connect your camera to the fuses box you have two options regarding how the camera will be used: permanent or when driving the car.

1. Recording only when engine is running (driving the car). You can use the default cigarette lighter connector or you can wire it to some fuse.
The nice solution is when connected to the fuse box. But which fuse?

Fuse Panel Engine Power On.jpg

When turning the key in the ignition position (START) many cars are turning off the power for 1-2 seconds and some poor designed cameras can be damaged after many starts.
When I was starting the engine I saw the Check Engine lights from my dashboard display are always on when turining the key so I connected my camera to that fuse.

2. Always ON (prepared for recording), needed for the dashcam parking mode.
This type of connection is when your camera is always on because you are using the Parking Mode.

Fuse Panel Always Power On.jpg

Search for a fuse which have permanent power. I was thinking fi my car is opened with the remote, to search for the locking door fuse. For sure are other fuses with permanent power, but...
Some cars have a power cut delay on some fuses (like for the lights) if the driver forgot the lights on. After about 15 minutes the power will be cut on that fuse.
So if you are asking why your camera is not recording in parking mode and is starting when you open the door, the chosen fuse can be the problem.

3. Use a Fuse Holder Bypass (Dual Fuse Tap or ATM fuse holder) to protect your camera

ATM fuse holder.jpg

Try to use a 2.5A fuse for your dashcam, or something around 5A.

4. Use the correct size of your fuses.

Fuse holder bypass.jpg

Some cars have mini fuses (right picture).

5. Fuse holder bypass mounted.

Fuse holder bypass mounted.jpg

The front fuse is for the dashcam, the back fuse is the original fuse of the car.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Thanks Mtz. Nice summary for choosing the right fuse.

Reactions: Mtz
Please remember that the fuse shall protect the wiring. You might however have to install a separate fuse adapted to your wiring in series, independent of where you steal the power from.

The 30A and 5A automotive fuses shown in the car panel layout are not even remotely suitable for a small 12V to 5V voltage regulator and it`s wires. Check the glass fuse contained in your cigarette lighter adaptor to get an idea of a suitable value.

Consider as well that modern car electronics like your engine management unit (F60 in the layout) may behave strangely when subject to an unexpected power drain. It might be safer to choose something else to drain power from. You might check your owner`s manual what the fuses with the DC power symbols are for (like F34 or F47 in the shown layout).

OK, I added the 3.) on the first post. I don't know the exact name in english for that holder so I used one found on Aliexpress and ebay.
I was thinking people know how to connect to a fuse.

enjoy,
Mtz

That is called a dual fuse tap in English.

It looks like a very elegant way to power a dvr.

However, given dashcamjunior's response, I would like to verify that it's a viable and safe (for the car and camera) option.
In addition, doesn't the amperage matter? Can I use 5A, 10A, 15A, 30A?

Thank you very much,
Sagi

On some cars, the dome light may use the same circuit as the cigarette lighter. On an old Honda, I was able to add wires from the dome light to a spot under the visor so they were hidden by the headliner.

If the purpose of the fuse is to prevent a fire due to the power cable to your camera shorting out, then a 1 Amp fuse would do the job. One Amp x 12 Volts = 12 Watts. Even with any IR LEDs on, most cameras should use less power than that. A 2 Amp fuse would also work well and keep you protected from a fire. Forget 5 Amps and up. If there was a malfunction (short circuit) in the cam, it could possibly catch on fire before a 5/10/20/30 Amp fuse would blow.

But your question was which of the fuses in your car's fuse panel to use. I guess you'll have to choose one that is powered on when it suits your needs.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer! Much appreciated..

If most cameras have a 2A fuse inside the cigarette lighter connector, then we assume 2.5A (this is available for car fuses) is the best.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• 2A Dashcam Fuse.jpg
    2A Dashcam Fuse.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 1,517
If a 2 Amp fuse is inside the lighter plug, then the same size fuse can be used for an alternate wiring situation. No need to increase the Amperage rating, but 2.5 would be perfectly okay also. The whole idea is to prevent a fire in the camera or the wiring. If there's a short in the cam it will most likely be unrepairable anyway, so the fuse is not really there to protect any electronics. Of course you need to reduce the Voltage to 5V.

Hi,

I plan to tap the cigarette lighter circuit (20A fuse) directly from the fuse box, using a dual fuse tap / add-a-circuit.
Something like that:

add-a-circuit.jpg

Do I need to reduce the voltage to 5V? If so, how should I do that?

Thank you

If your cam is not 12v the simplest way is to wire a female lighter socket in under the dash and use the supplied cig adapter as per normal

Auto parts stores, eBay, dx.com etc sell the sockets for a few dollars each

For me the simple way is to buy the camera connector and a new cable (and keep the original cable unused) or just cut the camera power cable.
I can't wait another month for some cable from DX or ebay.

enjoy,
Mtz

jokiin said:
If your cam is not 12v the simplest way is to wire a female lighter socket in under the dash and use the supplier cig adapter as per normal

Auto parts stores, eBay, dx.com etc sell the sockets for a few dollars each

I forgot to mention - the camera is a GS8000. Just arrived and still not connected.

Jokiin, that's a good idea. Thank you!

If I got it correctly, I should do the following:
1. Connect the Dual Fuse Tap to the car's fuse box.
2. Connect the female lighter socket the the Dual Fuse Tap
3. Connect the original cig adapter

Mtz, will I need to reduce the voltage to 5V as per you suggestion?

Again, thank you both.

Sagi

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Jack.

I've decided to go for the Fuse Tap. It looks like to most elegant way:
- Camera will start at switch-
- Using the original power adapter that came with the camera
- All wiring is hidden

Sagi

Before buying he Fuse Holder Bypass take care what type of fuses have your car. Some cars have both types, normal and mini.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• Fuse holder bypass.jpg
    Fuse holder bypass.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 450
Back