which is better, mobius or the new joovuu x?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think mobius has been a very good camera, however the new joovuu looks discrete.

Is there any other new cameras that have better image quality than the mobius for numberplates ?

Adjust your Mobius correctly and you will be hard pushed to find anything more reliable and "better"

Street storm give fantastic images nice sharp and colourful over the entire view and a timer can be set to go from wdr to hdr at night.

koonlung c75 or c81 with ov 4 sensor gives a nice sharp colourful image too ..

but I even use an 0806 now as its perfect for a rear window with the Cpl to cut reflections that are exaggerated from a tinted sloping screen -

if your looking to capture number plates there are some A lens for the Mobius on ebay which bring the image closer and make number plates more legible.

I think at this point it's hard to tell. To me the only thing the Mobius lacks is good night recording. I haven't spent a lot of time watching JooVuu X video, but all the night video's I've seen have been recorded in VERY well lit areas with lights lining the streets. On first impressions it seems to do better, but again without them being side by side down the same dark road, it's hard to tell.

I for one am excited about the JooVuu X and as soon as I can buy it a la carte, I'm game.

funny thing is..

if cameras are set to their best individual settings and you run the footage through VLC and enhance it for viewing...

There is only the tiniest bit of difference between 2 year old technology and the latest sensors and chips..

The new chips and sensors seem to have a problem with graininess and noise on VLC enhanced night vision and the old sensors such as in a Mobius are often equal.

I have NEVER seen the point of putting one camera up against another and saying this is better than that and the only true measure is to run them through VLC and then compare and if you then find one that can read a numberplate when the other cant you have your definitive answer of which will give you the most information/evidence.

In a lot of comparison videos people have already set their original camera to what think is going to get them the best video quality, or it appears that way. In turn if one catches a plate and the other doesn't without any enhancement, it seems that's a definitive answer as well. That's not to say that you couldn't get the plate by enhancing the lesser quality video, but if you need to enhance one and not the other, that to me means the other camera essentially is better. I imagine in order to get more people using dash cams, they need to work right out of the box with less fuss and needing to enhance.

I have seen some comparison videos and thought they purposefully set a camera to a lower quality in order to make their camera seem better, which is why I typically only trust comparison videos done from folks on here.

Disagree..

At the end of the day it is the final evidence given that counts and you only get one live go at capturing it..

All that goes before that counts for didley squat and its no use saying well my image straight out the camera looks better.

That will never make sense to me until I see someone enhance a $30 camera to match the quality of a $200 camera. It seems like a bit of a wager to buy a lesser quality camera in hopes you could enhance it enough to get what you need.

Looks like we need a mobius vs joovuu thread. ;)

I think at this point it's hard to tell. To me the only thing the Mobius lacks is good night recording. I haven't spent a lot of time watching JooVuu X video, but all the night video's I've seen have been recorded in VERY well lit areas with lights lining the streets. On first impressions it seems to do better, but again without them being side by side down the same dark road, it's hard to tell.

So far, from the videos we've seen posted the JooVuu-X night footage is seriously sub par with only a promise that it will be improved in a future firmware update. While not the best by any means, the Mobius low light performance is not bad at all and currently is superior to the X.

Before anyone starts comparing the Mobius vs the JooVuu-X, stop to consider that the X costs nearly three times the price. Will it offer three times the performance of a Mobius? And the Mobius 2 is on the way; that's the one I'm most curious about and that ultimately should be the candidate to compare to the JooVuu.

Last edited:
That will never make sense to me until I see someone enhance a $30 camera to match the quality of a $200 camera. It seems like a bit of a wager to buy a lesser quality camera in hopes you could enhance it enough to get what you need.

I use VlC to do that every day although I have now inadvertently graduated to expensive cameras due to lifes opportunity.

unfortunately few agree with judging cameras when enhanced and extracting best image and we are left with silly comparisons of ill set manufacturers out the factory door settings which hardly cut ice.. or give accurate impression.

I use VlC to do that every day although I have now inadvertently graduated to expensive cameras due to lifes opportunity.

unfortunately few agree with judging cameras when enhanced and extracting best image and we are left with silly comparisons of ill set manufacturers out the factory door settings which hardly cut ice.. or give accurate impression.

I agree that VLC is an excellent tool for enhancing dash cam videos. The problem however is that once you've enhanced it in VLC you cannot save and export it. If you should need to provide a video as evidence to the police or for use in a courtroom you are out of luck, except for perhaps a screenshot.

I'm sure anyone here will gladly help to enhance a video if needed. I personally have Adobe premiere so it's very easy for me to enhance stuff if anyone feels the need to.

That being said, a $30 camera will likely never give you clearer plates than a $200 camera, especially at night.

How do you accidentally upgrade to a more expensive camera?

Alcohol + Amazon Prime is never a good mix.

That's how I ended up ordering my 2nd Mobius. With a bit more alcohol I had no buyers remorse. d:

I agree that VLC is an excellent tool for enhancing dash cam videos. The problem however is that once you've enhanced it in VLC you cannot save and export it. If you should need to provide a video as evidence to the police or for use in a courtroom you are out of luck, except for perhaps a screenshot.

download "free video screen recorder" and just play the video enhanced video file in vlc as you record and you can crop or do what you want with it and if you crop it expands which sometimes works well....

As for accidentally upgrading,- I bought a job lot of 80 no one else thought to.

(...) the only true measure is to run them through VLC and then compare and if you then find one that can read a numberplate when the other cant you have your definitive answer of which will give you the most information/evidence.
So, you're telling us that no matter how good a camera is, if running the footage through VLC (and VLC only, no other video players or video processing softwares will do) and the results are bad, the camera is bad?
How many people do you know that can play around with VLC's settings and "enhancements" or have it "laying around" the car to "enhance" a clip to get that extremely important information/evidence to show to the Police on site? And do you think they'll wait while you "enhance" the footage to get the evidence you need? And if you have to do it at home and show it to the Police or insurance company later, will they accept a modified video evidence?

Last edited:
Software can only enhance what's recorded in the sensor.
It cannot create a big foot hiding in the trees if it's not there.

If that's the case, then all camera are same after software processing.

Yes, VLC doesn't have that feature but there are plenty tools to record screen.

I have an old copy of Camtasia I purchased and still works great.
Free ones are also good enough for recording except they lack some advanced features.

Back