Which Micro SD Card are You Using?

Which Micro SD Card are You Using?

• Total voters
Amazon is loaded with fakes. Buying from the actual manufacturer on Amazon is a much safer prospect, but I am sure in rare circumstances, it's still possible to get a fake. Buying from 3rd parties on amazon is never recommended.
Amazon was never a problem for me. Just make sure you only get items "Sold by and shipped from Amazon"

Amazon was never a problem for me. Just make sure you only get items "Sold by and shipped from Amazon"

As I said, Amazon is generally a safe bet if bought from manufacturer. Sold and shipped by Amazon doesn't mean squat. Here's a good article about how sold and shipped by Amazon simply means Counterfeiters have amazon keep stock of items to ship out to customers and don't necessarily verify their legitimacy.

According do data from autowrzuta.pl based on many users experience Samsung EVO + (PLUS, red), GOODRAM (all), Sandisk Ultra (all) cards are not recommended for A129.

Samsung Evo (not plus) up to 128 GB are highly recommended.

Some people are using Samsung Evo 256GB without any issues but there is not enough data to recognize it as recommended card.

Autowrzuta.pl is polish language equivalent of dashcamtalk.

In my two installations I'm using Samsung EVO microSDHC 128GB without any issues. Basing on my experience I can recommend this card. I'm considering upgrading into 256GB card but I'm waiting for more user reports.
Samsung Evo Plus (red) 128 GB user here. That card is running perfectly fine in my A129 duo since october 2018 with no problems at all.

I bought Kingston 64GB high endurance for new Viofo A129 and camera doesn't seem to like it..
It won't go into parking mode

I put it my Sandisk high endurance 32GB from my Xiaomi camera and no problem going into parking mode.. wtf

Adding another report on Kingston 64GB High Endurance failing a lot with A129. I thought that it's the camera's FW issues, however this seems to be lack of HW compatibility with some cards and good compatibility with others. Beware, and choose the right card for you!

Adding another report on Kingston 64GB High Endurance failing a lot with A129. I thought that it's the camera's FW issues, however this seems to be lack of HW compatibility with some cards and good compatibility with others. Beware, and choose the right card for you!

Is your card genuine and have you verified its authenticity? Sandisk Ultras are incompatible and that's a known issue. However, I have not heard much about other brands having problems.

Is your card genuine and have you verified its authenticity? Sandisk Ultras are incompatible and that's a known issue. However, I have not heard much about other brands having problems.
My card was bought from a well known and certified computer network in my country. Can you tell how to check the card itself for authenticity?
I don't see any issue with the card when copying data from / to the computer. Only the camera seems to have problems with it from the very beginning. Seeing another person referring to this card exactly raised a flag for me.

My card was bought from a well known and certified computer network in my country. Can you tell how to check the card itself for authenticity?
I don't see any issue with the card when copying data from / to the computer. Only the camera seems to have problems with it from the very beginning. Seeing another person referring to this card exactly raised a flag for me.

Run tests on it and see if you get promised speeds and/or if the capacity is as advertised. Lots of fakes programmed to appear to look "X" size when in fact they are knock offs and lack the true capacity.

Run tests on it and see if you get promised speeds and/or if the capacity is as advertised. Lots of fakes programmed to appear to look "X" size when in fact they are knock offs and lack the true capacity.

Full size as advertised, matching advertised write BW, read BW is about 12% less than advertised. All in all, doesn't look like a fake, everything in this test results seem legit. With another folk commenting about an issue with this card, I unfortunately have to call it incompatible.

Full size as advertised, matching advertised write BW, read BW is about 12% less than advertised. All in all, doesn't look like a fake, everything in this test results seem legit. With another folk commenting about an issue with this card, I unfortunately have to call it incompatible.

Being that is the case, it is very possible the card doesn't play well with the camera. Try another make / model to see if you have a persistent issue or if the problem is resolved.

I just ordered a Sandisk High Endurance 256 GB card (SKU SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA).

I'm tired of worrying about counterfeits, so I ordered directly from the Western Digital Sandisk store. There was a 10% off and free shipping deal, so I actually paid a little less than I would have at Amazon or BH Photo Video.

Mainly I plan to use the card in my motorcycle dashcam (Innovv K2), but I'm going to try it in the Viofo A129 as well, just for fun. I'll let everyone know if I have any problems.

I just ordered a Sandisk High Endurance 256 GB card (SKU SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA).

I'm tired of worrying about counterfeits, so I ordered directly from the Western Digital Sandisk store. There was a 10% off and free shipping deal, so I actually paid a little less than I would have at Amazon or BH Photo Video.

Mainly I plan to use the card in my motorcycle dashcam (Innovv K2), but I'm going to try it in the Viofo A129 as well, just for fun. I'll let everyone know if I have any problems.

I'm same way. I'll buy direct from manufacturer, even if a bit more expensive. Eliminates any chances of winding up with a fake.

Reporting back: same camera, same FW, but now with Samsung Evo Plus 64GB instead of the Kingston - works perfectly for a week now, not a single failure (unlike many many failures with the Kingston).

Reporting back: same camera, same FW, but now with Samsung Evo Plus 64GB instead of the Kingston - works perfectly for a week now, not a single failure (unlike many many failures with the Kingston).

Fakes? Or merely incompatible. Sometimes it's either or. The Sandisk Ultra Plus don't work with Viofo A129's either.

Kingston has a spotty performance record with dashcams in general. Our little driving helpers can be strange when it comes to SD cards :rolleyes:

Phil

Kingston has a spotty performance record with dashcams in general. Our little driving helpers can be strange when it comes to SD cards :rolleyes:

Phil

Why do you say that? Do you own any Kingston memory cards that have given you trouble?

I've been using Kingston memory cards in dash cams for many years and have never had a single issue. I haven't purchased one in quite a long time so perhaps there have been changes to the newer ones that may cause issues but my older ones are still in service in my Mobius cameras and they continue to perform flawlessly. In fact, Mobius recommends Kingston memory in their M1 user manual.

_cards.jpg

Mobius isn't as picky about cards as some other cams, and compared to the Duo there's less data writing going on. I do have a Kingston card and it's worked in a few cams I've tried it in, but I have larger cards so the Kingston is in my phone.

Phil

Mobius isn't as picky about cards as some other cams, and compared to the Duo there's less data writing going on. I do have a Kingston card and it's worked in a few cams I've tried it in, but I have larger cards so the Kingston is in my phone.

Phil

Mobius isn't as picky? Seriously? So, exactly why do you think they would specifically state in their user manual excerpt posted above that there have been "card compatibility problems"...... "known problems with a few class 10 cards"......and then specifically recommend Kingston and advise avoiding SanDisk?

A few years ago SanDisk would have been cards to avoid, not sure how recently they last updated their card recommendations, things do change

Please see some previous comments on this thread - not a fake.

I wasn't stating your issue was related to fakes. I said the problem is either or at times. Here, others have tried the card and had failures, so it's clearly an incompatibility problem. In other instances, the failures can be chalked up to fake cards and not the actual legitimate card itself.

Back