Which one fitst best European users? (checklist)

A

Anonymous

Hello !

First of all, thank you for this amazing board. It's very helpfull.

Here in Europe, Dashcams are pretty inexistant - And police don't like them. So if they see you with a dashcam, even if it's legal (it is in most of them, except Austria as far as I know) they'll stop you and may check/search you.

Si I'm looking for a cam that first of all, is not toooooo big. I'd also need:

- To switch off audio, permanently
- Switch off the screen during recording (black screen)
- No time stamp in the recorded video
- A "lock" button, to protect a recording (not overwriting it)
- Short loops (2-3min)
- No GPS

The "maxi golden" feature would be a way to protect the TF Card (writting free, reading encrypted)... But I guess I'm dreaming. As I also guess that no dashcam on the market for a reasonnable price offers serious encryption yet.

And of course, really good quality by night. Budget: Max 150$

I was looking after the DR32... What do you think?

Thank you !!

Cheers from Europe

all those features exist now except for password protected files to prevent them being read, that's coming soon though

Thank you Jokiin for your message !!

Which cam are you talking about? I didn't found on your profile which manufacturer you represent :)

Encrypted files would be extraordinary! But it needs to be a solid encryption (at least AES), otherwise it's useless...

The best would be to have a function to save the files as hidden data ( http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/ ). A ****load of users would be happy to pay extra money to have a solid encryption directly on their dashcam (same kind of users who don't want GPS).

Last edited by a moderator:
to be honest I don't know what the encryption method is, my partner is involved in a different project that was done for police use, password protected files was part of the requirement of that project, we will be applying the same method to an upcoming model we are working on to offer this as a feature

Franck said:
Thank you Jokiin for your message !!

Which cam are you talking about? I didn't found on your profile which manufacturer you represent :)

Encrypted files would be extraordinary! But it needs to be a solid encryption (at least AES), otherwise it's useless...

The best would be to have a function to save the files as hidden data ( http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/ ). A ****load of users would be happy to pay extra money to have a solid encryption directly on their dashcam (same kind of users who don't want GPS).

Do you mean ( a shipload ) ?

jokiin said:
to be honest I don't know what the encryption method is, my partner is involved in a different project that was done for police use, password protected files was part of the requirement of that project, we will be applying the same method to an upcoming model we are working on to offer this as a feature
Great to hear ! :)

I know that it's always tricky to talk about delays, but do you think that it's closer to <6months or >6months? :)

@jlmbry, I've meant the second point: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=****load

****load: Meaning quite a few, a bunch, a lot, very many, more than you care to be able to count, more than you can count; a widely used exaggeration of there being far too many of something ~ not to be confused with a boatload or a whole ****ing bunch
Sorry for the confusion

Franck said:
I know that it's always tricky to talk about delays, but do you think that it's closer to <6months or >6months? :)

if things go according to plan, August, things have a way of not going to plan but I hope not too much past that if they don't

Why encrypt the files on the cam? Surely you want the most open, easy to read, non-proprietary format going...

If some retard has just run you off the road, and you're lying there upside down in your car, out for the count - anything that impedes plod getting their hands on the (possibly vital) evidence held on your cam could mean they are more likely to get away with it. Especially if you're badly enough injured that you can't remember the passphrase to the encryption...

Franck said:
Hello !

First of all, thank you for this amazing board. It's very helpfull.

Here in Europe, Dashcams are pretty inexistant - And police don't like them. So if they see you with a dashcam, even if it's legal (it is in most of them, except Austria as far as I know) they'll stop you and may check/search you.

Si I'm looking for a cam that first of all, is not toooooo big. I'd also need:

- To switch off audio, permanently
- Switch off the screen during recording (black screen)
- No time stamp in the recorded video
- A "lock" button, to protect a recording (not overwriting it)
- Short loops (2-3min)
- No GPS

The "maxi golden" feature would be a way to protect the TF Card (writting free, reading encrypted)... But I guess I'm dreaming. As I also guess that no dashcam on the market for a reasonnable price offers serious encryption yet.

And of course, really good quality by night. Budget: Max 150$

I was looking after the DR32... What do you think?

Thank you !!

Cheers from Europe

Sounds like you're looking for a basic cam with good video quality. DR32 fits the bill.

why would someone not want GPS ? And no time stamp and no audio ?
Otherwise my GS1000 or whatever you wanna name it, has everything you mentioned, except encryption.
So far I miss:
- to rotate the video 180°, because the best position is on a dashboard, but then the camera is turned up-side-down;
- something I think "they" call "parking mode" - that the camera keeps recording when the engine is off; it actually does that, but for 30 seconds max, even though the battery is capable of recording for 25 minutes;
- Car Camera Mount Holder, which allows camera to be rotated left-right too, not only up-down;
- same cable for power and USB; now the power cable is fixed to the cigarette lighter 12V/USB converter; if you wanna download files to the notebook, you gotta use another cable or remove memory card from the camera;
- etc.

javr said:
why would someone not want GPS ? And no time stamp and no audio ?

GPS I believe is not all that useful - a dashcam is really needed just to prove who is at fault. So the element of having a GPS isn't all that useful.

The speed you're travelling in km/h mph could also work against you.

So I don't think GPS is that useful..

On the other hand,

Time stamp - to prove date and time I think is useful
Audio - useful to prove whether you indicated, could also record a sound of being bumped into by the sides / back where the dashcam can't see.

Back