Which recording resolution get the clearest picture?

It uses a variable bitrate. It is normal for the bitrate to jump around depending on the complexity of the scene. I have seen 1GB files on a 3 minute clip, while driving down a tree lined road. This was stock firmware on a A119S I believe.

What was the full name of the firmware file prior to renaming?

The bitrates looks much safer. Depending on the Mod used the average bitrate can be between 20Mbps or 27Mbps at moment your is 24. That will be much safer that the 46Mbps in your demo file.
The A119 v2 is 20Mbps at 1920x1080 using standard firmware, I do not have a A119S to confirm this but believe the S model to be the same. As @CaptureYourAction says the bitrate does not stay the same through out the video and varies according to subject but the average should work out to the approximately Mbps that was set by the Firnware.

The average will be based on scenery. If the whole 3 minute file is of tree lined roads, then the average will be higher than the base bitrate set in the firmware.

Most of my dash cam footage is of very complicated scenes extremely wooded. There no 8 lane highway here sometimes there just enough room for 1.5 cars and densely wooded both sides.
With the bitrate set at 24Mbps I have never seen the rate go over 27Mbps. Set at 27Mbps rarely see go above 28Mbps.

What was the full name of the firmware file prior to renaming?

The bitrates looks much safer. Depending on the Mod used the average bitrate can be between 20Mbps or 27Mbps at moment your is 24. That will be much safer that the 46Mbps in your demo file.
The A119 v2 is 20Mbps at 1920x1080 using standard firmware, I do not have a A119S to confirm this but believe the S model to be the same. As @CaptureYourAction says the bitrate does not stay the same through out the video and varies according to subject but the average should work out to the approximately Mbps that was set by the Firnware.

Off the top of my head I cannot say exactly the name of the firmware, other than it was from Viofo and v2.61, the name now has changed and although I have formatted the card and installed another copy of 2.61 the FW shown is still modded FW. It has not gone back to the Viofo name and FW version.

I do not want to antagonize or step on anyone's toes here, it was kind of the modder to offer an option of another FW that could give me more clarity, but if that may cook my camera I would be best to keep it standard.

Last edited:
Try this link https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119s-modified-firmware-mods-archive.35824/

It will take you to "BCHobbyist's A119S MODS". You can find several modded firmwares many with sample videos scattered through the posts. You will find info on the correct way to flash the A119S. I have tried many different MODs for the A119 V2 but the A119S has different firmware to the A119 V2 so I unable suggest one to you.

Hi Tractor.
I have had a look at the videos on YT as you suggest, and I am sure I did the install correctly, but I will take it out again and try again I'm beginning to wonder if I will wear the card out :(

If it's a bona fide SD Card it should not be a problem. All SD's play up from time to time, sometimes they just need formatting again. If you have a fake and there is a lot out there, who can tell how long it will last. Spotting a fake is not easy I have been fooled in the past.
I have flashed the firmware from and formatted my card many times without incident. I would recommend formatting the card in the dash cam not on a computer.

It was a Samsung Evo 64gb supplied by Amazon so it should be genuine, I have come across a tweaked card on fleabay but checked it first with h2testw.exe it failed so then got my money back.
Initially I used Partition Wizard to format to FAT32, then copied the BIN file to the card then inserted into the camera, let it start up then formatted twice and a default reset.

Off the top of my head I cannot say exactly the name of the firmware, other than it was from Viofo and v2.61, the name now has changed and although I have formatted the card and installed another copy of 2.61 the FW shown is still modded FW. It has not gone back to the Viofo name and FW version.

I do not want to antagonize or step on anyone's toes here, it was kind of the modder to offer an option of another FW that could give me more clarity, but if that may cook my camera I would be best to keep it standard.
Thanks for using some of my A119S Modified Firmware. Always good to see owners wanting to improve image quality, your comments will help many others reading these messages. Many have already replied with accurate and useful information, want to clear up a few important points.
The A119S can handle 50Mbps Bit Rate spikes in video recordings when driving through complex pattern treed areas, this is expected and normal. The maximum modified bitrate supported is limited to 28.0Mbps but as @CaptureYourAction said driving tree lined roads will raise the average since its variable. Many Forum members help to Beta Test MODs using the highest bitrates both for maximum image quality assessment and A119S stability, none so far have failed.

Your Dashcam works well if the basic settings are correct, @Tractor has been helping you with that, the CPL Filter alignment can be an issue for reflections and many videos are available, mine is probably the simplest. Best way to determine best Firmware for your needs is load Official v4.00 or v2.61 then drive any road with sun behind vehicle without CPL to record short video clips, repeat for each firmware. Now download and install newest A119S MOD-6Vf or 6Nq to repeat test route. Once you review the footage and determined your favourite, install the CPL Filter (hopefully aligned, use my video) and drive everywhere in all day and night conditions. Post your best MOD footage for assessment, we can advise you then.

Based on the original MOD 7R clip you posted you are renaming and updating the modified firmware correctly. As you say its much to learn and remember, if you find my firmware useful consider becoming a Beta Tester with us, let @Tractor or @dacbuc know. Together we are all attempting to improve our Dash Cams, the DCTeam is here to help.
Recommend to ease your high temp concerns load MOD-4Vf but tree'd roadsides will still appear blocky & mushy to impove that use 6Vf or (6Nq-currently under development).

FWA119S_MOD-6Vf_v4.02B+26Mbps+Sharp506070+Edge138+DCTeam.bin
FWA119S_MOD-4Vf_v4.02B+24Mbps+Sharp506070+Edge138+DCTeam.bin
FWA119S_MOD-2Vf_v4.02B+22Mbps+Sharp506070+Edge138+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I6hawkLiEsQSv6IamPRWkchXX3-o8j-j

FWA119S_MOD-6Nr_v4.02+26Mbps+Sharp575860C+Sharp140B+Edge146+Brite127+Sat124B+Sat20A+DCTeam.bin
Download > https://drive.google.com/open?id=13LeOenLuh_9ThmTLNea1KUgisYeKmWU-

If you need anything let me know.

Last edited:
Samsung Evo should be OK. I have one in my 2nd. A119 V2. Over 32GB SD cards are in a different format when formatted directly by PC using no additional software, the dash cam uses FAT32 only. I always format in the cam to make sure the card's formatting meets the requirement of the cam. I hope the info from BCHobbyist is helpful to you.

Just typed a reply and it disappeared before I could post it!
Thank you for your very helpful posts and time you have generously given. I would like to try out different versions but this will have to wait a while though. After 19 years of caring for two elderly and disabled relations living with us, they have now gone into care as we could no longer cope with their needs. So we no longer need our extended house and put it on the market and found a superb bungalow which would suit us perfectly. However selling ours to what turned out to be liars who did not have the funds and our agent did not do their job and verify their positions, has delayed our move and caused a lot of stress, even today I have been showing buyers round as the agent did not turn up for his appointed viewing!

I have downloaded the files from BC Hobbyist so I can try them as time permits, it might take some time though. I will read through the posts again just in case I am not doing something correctly. I am using Partition Wizard to initially format the card to FAT32. PW does a good job in my, albeit, limited experience.

Just typed a reply and it disappeared before I could post it!
Thank you for your very helpful posts and time you have generously given. I would like to try out different versions but this will have to wait a while though. After 19 years of caring for two elderly and disabled relations living with us, they have now gone into care as we could no longer cope with their needs. So we no longer need our extended house and put it on the market and found a superb bungalow which would suit us perfectly. However selling ours to what turned out to be liars who did not have the funds and our agent did not do their job and verify their positions, has delayed our move and caused a lot of stress, even today I have been showing buyers round as the agent did not turn up for his appointed viewing!

I have downloaded the files from BC Hobbyist so I can try them as time permits, it might take some time though. I will read through the posts again just in case I am not doing something correctly. I am using Partition Wizard to initially format the card to FAT32. PW does a good job in my, albeit, limited experience.
Life takes priority over MODs, except in my case. Once you get a new Agent and move contact us again.

Memory cards of 64GB or less can be formatted inside Dashcam, most 128GB cards can also be done same way.

Life takes priority over MODs, except in my case. Once you get a new Agent and move contact us again.

Memory cards of 64GB or less can be formatted inside Dashcam, most 128GB cards can also be done same way.

as well as 256gb since @viofo officially support 256gb micro SDXC cards.
smile3.gif

200gb micro SDXC cards should work as well @viofo please confirm.
in general it doesn't matter what utility / OS (operating system) you use to format the SD card to a Fat32 file system (required by a camera) because it's a "universal" cross-platform supported file system - it's readable under Windows OS, Apple OS, Linux OS etc.

ajw1100
I symphonise with you having recently gone through a similar thing. The buying and selling property is full of pitfalls. With stupid offers, long chains, and time wasters as was your experience. Best of luck and hope it pan out for you.

in general it doesn't matter what utility / OS (operating system) you use to format the SD card to a Fat32 file system (required by a camera) because it's a "universal" cross-platform supported file system - it's readable under Windows OS, Apple OS, Linux OS etc.

Windows won't format cards larger than 32GB FAT32, third party apps are needed, even then you need to make sure the cluster size is correct or it won't work in the camera, FAT32 can be read by all but they don't all partition it correctly, best to format the cards in the camera to make sure they are correct

Windows 10 would only format as EX FAT, they seem to have dropped FAT32.
I have just installed FW A119S_180911_dac10 which I will try out tomorrow, then try to do the same route with the FW from the links from BC Hobbyist.

Luckily I record all my phone calls, so could prove that our agents screwed up when they said we had a 'cash buyer' but they forgot or didn't verify that. When it became apparent he was not a cash buyer and I rained down on them they said they did not say 'cash buyer' but said 'Chain Free buyer' I said I would send them the recordings where they had said 'cash buyer' twice!!! They shut up.
The agents are local, virtually next door to our solicitors and are now jumping to my tune. I also mentioned someone in the TPO or The Property Ombudsman office..... :oops:

Last edited:
Wonder why we all HATE estate (Reality) agents? As long as they get their cut they don't care.

The A119S makes a good indoor security camera, just connect to small 6-8,000mAh PB and set Menu for normal recording or Motion Detection, then place in far corner. Record audio and video of Fake Buyers and bad Agents.

Back