Which SD card to replace the old one for V3?

Demetrios

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V3
Hi to all,

After nearly 4 years without any issues on my SG9665GC V3 and 25K km/15K miles, the included 64GB SD card is creating restart issues on the camera and broken up sound while recording. After reading in the forum, the SD the usual reason. It has served me well and now I am asking for your advice on a replacement card, probably 64BG as well. Any suggestions, apart the fact for the card to be genuine?

Thanks to all,
Dimitris

Many thanks for your response!

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

With just 6000km per year (less than 4000 miles), a 64GB card will last me quite long I think. Its not for the $20 difference, locally, for the upgrade from 64 to 128GB, or $35 for the 256GB. Far from that. Aiming to just cover my camera needs.

Hi to all,

After nearly 4 years without any issues on my SG9665GC V3 and 25K km/15K miles, the included 64GB SD card is creating restart issues on the camera and broken up sound while recording. After reading in the forum, the SD the usual reason. It has served me well and now I am asking for your advice on a replacement card, probably 64BG as well. Any suggestions, apart the fact for the card to be genuine?

Thanks to all,
Dimitris
See if you can fix your card. First test the card then use SD Formatter.
You may download them under the "software" section.

Memory Formatting Software
SD Formatter

Memory Test Software
Memory card test software

With just 6000km per year (less than 4000 miles), a 64GB card will last me quite long I think. Its not for the $20 difference, locally, for the upgrade from 64 to 128GB, or $35 for the 256GB. Far from that. Aiming to just cover my camera needs.
The higher the memory card capacity the fewer overwriting cycles it does, - the less stress on the memory card = lasts longer = doesn't fail that quickly, especially when you need most in an unfortunate scene.
Of course, the best practice with any size memory card is to format it regularly inside dashcamera (once per month should be OK).

Many thanks Niko for the suggestion! Already tried to format the cars to my PC and then in the camera with no luck. Will try the SD Formatter and let you know.

Due to summer vacation, it is very hard for me to locate a seller and pick a High Endurance SD at any given capacity, so any proposals for a second choice, in case the Formatter fails?

Many thanks Niko for the suggestion! Already tried to format the cars to my PC and then in the camera with no luck. Will try the SD Formatter and let you know.

Due to summer vacation, it is very hard for me to locate a seller and pick a High Endurance SD at any given capacity, so any proposals for a second choice, in case the Formatter fails?
amazon.de , "Fulfilled by Amazon".

It will take a week give or take, that is the case locally as well. Thanks though.

Just a quick update; done everything per Niko's instructions. The memory test software found everything fine (?!?!?) and then I used the formatting software (both quick format and overwrite format). Took quite some time for the whole process. Initial results show that the recorded sound of the camera still has breaking up sound. I guess that will encounter the same problem (asking for me to format manually the card randomly).

So, I will be ordering a 256gb card. In case it works fine, then great. If not, then the camera has a problem and I will have to see if a "reset" or installing any updates (or re-installing the latest software) will do any good. Finally, if not, then I will have to replace it, probably with a new dual cam system. Hence the 256gb sd card will come in handy.

With a larger memory card, you are set for your next camera, which will probably be a 2 channel system.
I have also had a card that checked out just fine, but one of my cameras it just would not work in, all other cameras it was fine inside :rolleyes: it is not always easy to figure these little suckers out.
I have also had two 64 GB memory cards ( many years ago when they cost as much if not more than a 256GB card today ) well both died on me at least before i got to fill them up 2 times, the one i did not even get to fill up 1 time.
Fortunately the RMA process was easy and fast thru German amazon ( Denmark are too small to have a Amazon )

While still at vacation, the problem continues. Probably next week will have the new SD and will inform on the result.

Just received the Sandisk High Endurance 256GB card. What is the proposed method before use? Quick format on the PC as exFAT and finally format within the camera?

Just received the Sandisk High Endurance 256GB card. What is the proposed method before use? Quick format on the PC as exFAT and finally format within the camera?
Just pop it in the cam and format it there.

Thanks, I did a quick format with my pc and then in the camera.

The recorded sound is still disrupted/broken and I think that the problem is with the camera and not with the SD. I will wait and see if the camera still asks me to format the SD randomly and, usually, when the sun rises the temperature to higher levels.

The GC,,,, and other similar cameras, can develop a rattle in the camera / mount area, this is why these cameras are often delivered with 1 - 2 EVA foam pads for installing in between the 2 parts.
This can happen on its own over time, you dont even have to dismount the camera very often for it to happen.

The car was stationary and engine off while recording so it is not based on a rattle.

No i had a feeling it was more than the easy fix of a rattling camera, i cant say it is often i hear about microphones in cameras failing, not good enough, thats a whole other matter that we still get now and then.

Back