Which SD Card?

neilmcl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A119
I'm currently using a Samsung EVO 32GB SD card in my A119 but I want to upgrade this to 64GB. Should I stick to another Samsung EVO or is there a better 64GB card to use with this?

Transcend and Lexar are reported to work reliably with Novatek chipset based cameras. Avoid Sandisk Ultra red & grey cards like the plague.

Yeah I heard Sandisk were ones to avoid. The Transcend High Endurance is out of stock at Amazon UK so I may just stick with Samsung.

The 400X ones from Transcend work well too.

So my choices are now:

Transcend High Endurance - out of stock
Samsung Evo Plus
Lexar 633X

The 400X ones from Transcend work well too.

I have about a dozen of the 400x Transcend cards in use with dashcams, and they have been fantastic. In theory... The larger the card, the fewer cycles and longer the life. Most of our units have the 64gb chip, and a few have 32gb.

Some brands also void the warranty, if used with dash cams.

since I got 2 A119's for the past 3-4 months have micro SD cards died:
1 x Lexar 633x 128gb (got it replaced by Lexar support!!)
3 x Samsung Evo + 128gb (got a refund for 2, still have to return 1 more to Amazon)
1 x Transcend Premium 300x 64gb, got it my mistake of a seller (for free), died just after 1 use. that's why it was for free. :)
most if not all cards died while recording 1080P@60fps and I believe all the cards died on the rear camera. since then I replaced both USB cables to the original ones and monitoring the remaining Lexar cards. :)
now using mostly Lexar 633x 128gb and sometimes Transcend Ultimate 633x 64gb (with MLC tech)
so in my opinion Lexar 633x 128gb is OK + Lexar support is very good and I will avoid using Samsung SD cards in a future for sure. no complains about Transcend Ultimate 633x 64gb (with MLC tech) as I don't use them much.

We've been successful with Lexar 300x 64GB in both of our A119s.

Transcend High Endurance 32GB (MLC). 3 months and no problems so far. 1080p 60fps

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Hi, I just bought an A119 and i do a lot of research. every post i saw, said Lexar 633x is good, but it's pricey. They all liked transcend 32 gb endurance class 10. it has the 1 in the little U on it. the transcends are really good and have the better price. they said 32 because if you start getting into more gb, the price goes way up. was it a dealer that sells a119's said replace the card every 6 months to a year because they get worn out being rewritten over and over. they said not to buy off ebay or amazon because going thru a third party, you can get a counterfeit and the guy said counterfeit cards are all over the place. i did see where someone did get a counterfeit card sent to him. i ordered the transcend and i think i'm switching to them for all my stuff. sandisks are not reliable i've seen. walmart carries that and pny. big red flag there.

Transcend 400x Premium is good. 633x even better

Lexar used to be good, but they started using cheaper material to keep their prices down during the global memory card shortage. (so Lexar is no longer recommended until that changes)

Samsung EVO Select & EVO Plus are good.

SanDisk (red/grey) Ultra cards should be avoided.

Sandisk white "High Endurance" cards are very good though. (and any other brand that is "High Endurance" are the best of the best)

Last edited:
Got a Lexar High performance 633x microSDXC UHS-1- 64 Gb a few weeks ago to compliment my new A119. Works like a charm. Problem the SD card reader was defective, which is fine as I have other SD card readers and can connect directly to the a119 anyway.

I have the Samsung Evo + 128gb anyone else notice how hot these cards get at 1440p?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

the more data you write the hotter they will get so higher bitrate will have an effect
If the card is made for high bitrates it should be okay yes? Also others have the same card as me have they had any card failings due to heat?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back