Which Viofo Model, need clarification on Aptina AR0521 and Sony IMX291

LaKooCa Racha

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok I am looking for a front dash cam, Single channel I believe you guys call them.

Here is the issue I have run into. When researching about dashcam and senors I see that the Sony Sensor comes up all the time and is considered or at least was for many years to be the best in low light conditions.

So I was looking at specs and where I get confused is Resolution and fps. When watching Sensor and resolution comparisons between the Aptina AR0521, Sony IMX291 Sony IMX323.

So regarding the Sony sensors my understanding is IMX323 is an updated version of the old IMX 291 and it appears I do not need 60fps unless maybe I race cars. The reason why most remain 30FPS is due to sensitivity of the image sensor being more important so that you can have short exposure times to reduce motion blur. Therefore this explains why many of the expensive dashcams still use the Older SONY imx291 and not the newer IMX323. I wanted to get something with at least 1440p resolution cause I was under the impression higher res = better clarity and ability to make out plate numbers. Now I know in Photography MP or res is only part of the equation. Optics and sensor quality plays as vital of a role.

Ok so my question is this, I already have a Yi dashcam mounted on the back window of my Cherokee. I was looking to get a good quality front dashcam that has good resolution and night vision. Also Because I live in a cold climate regular dashcams will not work if they sit in the car overnight. So it seems they started introducing ones with SUPER CAPACITORS.

I live in Canada, so what brand or model do you guys recommend. I don't lane assist or collision warning since my car has that built into it already with the safety package and it's superior to one built into the dash cams.

I was looking at this model which is 1080p with the Sony Sensor, what do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B07DVFVD5X
Vantrue T2 24/7 Surveillance Super Capacitor Dash Cam, Full HD 1920X1080p OBD Car Camera 2.0" LCD 160° Wide Angle Dash Camera Car Video Recorder with Sony Sensor, HDR, Super Night Vision, Wave Guard Parking Monitor, G-Sensor & Loop Recording, Support 256GB Max

on sale for $169 CDN / $119 USD

I know the VIOFO A129 is a popular one here from google searches, that is how I found this forum out today on Dec 28 2018, but I don't need dual camera's and it costs alot, $229 CDN

Here is another one I was looking at, so many Viofo models I am getting confused.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B01MDPB7CS
VIOFO A119S V2 Full HD 1080p 60fps Car Dash Camera with Sony Exmor IMX291 Sensor (No GPS)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B01MG2QXJS=============================================================================================================================
VIOFO A119 V2 2K-FHD 30FPS Dash Camera, Latest 2018 Edition

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B01MG2QXJS

Edit: I need to be able to turn the GPS off or better yet no GPS

Last edited:
the IMX291 is the higher model, the IMX323 is an update to the older IMX322

Sony is strange with there model names. Thanks for the heads up. Oh I also Updated the list of models I was looking at

You should maybe add A119pro to your shortlist also, no camera is perfect for everyone so best to evaluate each model and see which one best meets your requirements

You should maybe add A119pro to your shortlist also, no camera is perfect for everyone so best to evaluate each model and see which one best meets your requirements

I damn, so they have one with the 1440p Aptina AR0521 sensor. Found it on Amazon Canada here:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B075QMW4YS
VIOFO A119 Pro 2K Dash Camera with GPS Logger 2018 Edition $135 CDN
=====================================================================================

I came across on you tube this hardcore Dashcam guy called "BC Hobbyist" Apparently there are moded firmware's for the Viofo a119Pro that further improves image sharpness and more.

Glad you pointed this out cause I didn't notice the pro at the end when watching the video's and I was shocked at how sharp the 1080p Sony Sensor was. Now I realize that was because the A119PRO is not using the Sony Sensor, but the Aptina AR0521

Last edited:
Viofo's "A" series cams are all good performers with each having at least one exceptional quality. A119S does very well at night; A119 does very well days, and the "Pro" versions are a bit different. The A129 is available as a single front only cam; the 2-channel version is called the "A129 Duo". There are active modified firmware threads on all these cams here on DCT, and they've gotten some excellent results from them so far. As you seem to understand the technical aspects of videography well enough I won't bore you with my opinions, but only recommend you read about whatever cams you're interested in here on DCT where you'll find real people sharing their experiences good and bad, which should help you make a good decision with reliability and support factors well-covered too.

Phil

I am going to lose my mind here. I want the Wifi connecting to my phone now so I am looking at the VIOFO A129

Last edited:
Opps I forgot to hit save on my previous post. here is what I typed.

I am going to lose my mind here. I want the Wifi connecting to my phone now so I am looking at the VIOFO A129

Then there is the issue that with the Custom Firmware from BC Hobby for the A119Pro being very close to the Sony at night.

Also The Sony MX-291 sensor runs very hot causing focus-drift unless a metal Lens holder is used and apparently the A119Pro flickers in bright conditions.

Vico opia 2

Ouch that costs $256 CDN compared to the price of the:

A119PRO = $129
A129 = $149

What Sensor does the Vico Opia2 use? It seems to produce a top notch image even in low light.

xKNNZHG-Q-uCjWH0taKJgA.png

Hehe thats just a constructed and highly exaggerated picture, 3D noise reduction are one of the oldest means of dealing with noise in low light footage.

What are you using? I am afraid to buy the A119Pro cause apparently Viofo swapped out ther metal lens holder to plastic and eventually it turns into a paper weight. Was this ever fixed.
Here is the thread were BC Hobbyist discusses the issue.

A119S Plastic Lens Holder vs A129 Metal Lens Holder
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119s-plastic-lens-holder-vs-a129-metal-lens-holder.35805/

I have a wide range of cameras in my car, but none of them viofo.
I also think a plastic lens mount will be good enough, if its the right plastic and not just recycled flip flop sandals and garbage bags.
I cant say i have noticed any alarming rates of viofo cameras having heat related focus shift, but then again i don't keep up with everything in here though i spend a lot of time here.
I would think cameras based on the IMX 291 sensor stand the best chance of having the most matured results, the AR0521 also look interesting but i haven't had a chance to try that sensor out in a camera.

And even the best cameras, its not like they are miles ahead of the competing sensors, the good low light sensors like the IMX 291 are more easy on the eye watching low light footage as you can literally see more, but if you go frame by frame, then all the more you can see are often not anything you can use for anything, but when viewing the footage at 30FPS, the human brain extrapolate a lot so you think " wauuuu" until you look closer if you pause the footage or go frame by frame.
Any of the vifo cameras will 100% of the time night or day document your own driving just fine, in relation to road side - lane markings and color of intersections, so you will be able to disproof a lot of claims against you with either of their cameras.
And if you focus a lot on little things like plate capture, then pretty much any camera you can buy for money will disappoint you.

What are you using? I am afraid to buy the A119Pro cause apparently Viofo swapped out ther metal lens holder to plastic and eventually it turns into a paper weight. Was this ever fixed.
Here is the thread were BC Hobbyist discusses the issue.

A119S Plastic Lens Holder vs A129 Metal Lens Holder
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a119s-plastic-lens-holder-vs-a129-metal-lens-holder.35805/
Viofo switched back to a metal base a long time ago. I’m not aware of them switching back again to a plastic base.

Ouch that costs $256 CDN compared to the price of the:

A119PRO = $129
A129 = $149

What Sensor does the Vico Opia2 use? It seems to produce a top notch image even in low light.

xKNNZHG-Q-uCjWH0taKJgA.png
OPIA 2 uses the OV4689 image sensor.

I am thinking of getting the VIOFO A119 Pro 2K Dash Camera with GPS Logger 2018 Edition

It seems with custom Firmware from BC Hobbyist the Aptina AR0521 sensor used in the A119pro is just slightly behind the Sony at night while looking better in the day with higher resolution 2K.
My only question is what Sensor has the better motion resolution, meaning when objects pass by fast there is less motion blur due to the speed and amount of light let in by the sensor per sec. I am guessing here but I would think the Sony might have better Motion Res/less blur.

Oh also I have been reading that GPS can also become more of a harm to you, rather than helping you. If you get into an accident say going through the light when yellow and say you are going 10mph over the speed limit and someone making a left hits you, even though it's there fault, you are providing the Officer during there investigation of hard proof that you were going over the speed limit. So people say either turn the GPS off or don't buy the model with it included. The A119pro for $120 cheaper has the same features without GPS.

So what are your thoughts on this guys?

well here yellow mean stop, and not floor it, so maybe make that change in your driving style.
Here in Denmark they cant just take your stuff and use it against you, and i am not even sure if a insurance dispute like you line out will end bad for you.
Sure you might have been speeding, but then the other part will have to claim that if you had not done that you would not have been at the point of time where his client ran a red light, and so it is your fault.
That to me will be like punishing you for a crime in the future.
IMO your speed being higher will only have something to say on the severity of the accident, and yes a higher speed mean bigger dents and injuries, but in your example its still the guy running a red light that are the trigger.
So here ( will never go to court here ) it all may end up as some kind of split between the 2 insurance companies, so maybe something like a 30 / 70 split in your favor.
So what to learn ? well there are consequences to everything, i am not saying drive like a little old lady, just know the rules and be a man about it,,, and be safe.

Besides first of all they will have to make out your dashcam and know what it is, which with a discreetly installed camera in today's world would be close to no chance.

It is rare that i speed now, though in the same breath i must say it is more likely to happen than me going under the limit,,,, my new sport while driving are to be right on the limit.
if / when i get my first speeding ticket, i will have to revise my plans or keep on as usual.

Never share anything on site, get home review your footage in peace and quiet, and then decide what you will do with it, first and foremost give the other part a chance to lie as much as possible as that will make your evidence stronger in your favor.
On the other hand if the other part have admitted to running red light, or witnesses will say that, then you don't even need to share your video footage.

I use GPS on all cameras, speed can always be determined from the video itself ( distance you can go measure covered in X time ) so if speed concern you, then really you should not be filming at all.

Last edited:
Oh the part about allowing the other party to lie as much as possible has always been a given. Let them dig there own grave I say.

I decided to go with the A119pro with the Aptina AR0521 and I will install BC Hobbyist custom firmware.

Back