"while the U1000 is connected to WiFi for the app or cloud features, the recording quality is reduced from 4K to 2K" (?)

egonvdv

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
TWO Thinkware's U10002CH (rear cams used as side cams)
This article: https://dashcamtalk.com/thinkware-u1000/ , states:

"while the U1000 is connected to WiFi for the app or cloud features, the recording quality is reduced from 4K to 2K".

But does this mean it's recording in 2k as soon as it's connected to wifi, or does it switch only when you actually actively connect to the camera ?

I'm not sure what that refers to.
I know that when connected directly to the app, the camera STOPS recording when you access the stored video folders, so you likely don't want (your passenger) to be downloading stored videos while you are driving, but mine is connected to the car's hotspot all the time and I seem to be getting 4k quality:

deer.jpg
lplate.jpg
lp2.jpg

Yeah that's what i thought too.
so either this info is not correct, or it means that when yoo connect to the camera through the cloud it's switches to 2k

I think that when the review was written, it did switch to 2K when the WiFi was turned on.
It may have been improved since then...

That's ridiculous. The camera's cloud features are so under-developed.
In fairness, it's free.
Blackvue has much better Cloud support, but if you have more than one camera or want more than the basic service, you have a subscription.

Personally, I would gladly pay Thinkware $100/year for enhanced cloud functionality.

I’d happily pay for that too. I can’t give them credit for offering a terrible ‘free’ service with no alternative. This is a premium product with a premium price, but a terrible user experience. The app feels like it was designed 10+ years ago.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T U1000 2
H U1000 1
T U1000 2
R U1000 0
M U1000 2
Back