Who do you think is at fault?

iseeu1001

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had the right of way. I didn’t have enough time to react but sry bout my cussing.

Last edited:
doing a bit of googling I see it mentions in the ,dry doing only 30mph, it’s going to take 1 foot of travel for every mph just for thinkng about to stop

here’s a chart I came across

and by looks of things by the time they were noticeable that they were pulling out I don’t think there was much more than around 50 feet left for you to stop but at the same time they were then shortening the distance between you and them by driving towards you making the stopping distance needed even shorter,

it OK for people to say you should of driven at a speed that you know you can stop, but if that was the case even when the road ahead of you is empty then the speed limit needed would have to be around 20mph to allow for people pulling out on you.

their fault 100% for pulling right out in front of you due to their driving without due care and attention (all IMHO that is)

doing a bit of googling I see it mentions in the ,dry doing only 30mph, it’s going to take 1 foot of travel for every mph just for thinkng about to stop

here’s a chart I came across

and by looks of things by the time they were noticeable that they were pulling out I don’t think there was much more than around 50 feet left for you to stop but at the same time they were then shortening the distance between you and them by driving towards you making the stopping distance needed even shorter,

it OK for people to say you should of driven at a speed that you know you can stop, but if that was the case even when the road ahead of you is empty then the speed limit needed would have to be around 20mph to allow for people pulling out on you.

their fault 100% for pulling right out in front of you due to their driving without due care and attention (all IMHO that is)

I was just following the speed limit because at that bend it says 35 and before on another bend it says 35 and yes it was dry and clear as day. The tacoma that pulled out and the jeep grand cherokee were together but I don't see why the jeep couldnt wait its not like her friend would go far without her. It looks like she ran the stop sign to barely stopping for the stop sign. I tried to swerve to the right because I know if I swerve to the left it would have been more of an impact as I could have drag her car or made her spin out but luckily she didnt run.

Last edited:
It is clear who was at fault, but a couple of comments on your driving that might help in the future:

With a junction like that where there is a possibility of someone not seeing you, or misjudging your speed/intentions, and pulling out at the wrong time, I will normally drive through it with my foot on the brake pedal, saves half a second if you do need to press it, maybe a bit more if you weren't ready, and in this case even quarter of a second would have avoided a collision. There are far more near misses than accidents, and you can move a lot of potential accidents into the near miss category by being ready to act.

You said "I tried to swerve to the right" - a vehicle will always slow faster in a straight line, there are situations where it makes sense to turn, but in this case I think it would have been best to just press the brake as hard as possible, let the ABS take care of the braking, and keep straight to give the ABS best grip. That should always be the first action, only turn once you have had time to think and have worked out that it will help. In this case, once you had time to think you didn't have time to act so best to just continue full braking in a straight line. If you had turned immediately then you would have had less braking available and the collision would have been worse, also the other driver may have seen you and hit the brakes, even though that would have made things worse, in that case you could not have avoided a collision and the slowest collision possible would have been preferable - brakes first.

Not your fault so don't feel bad about it.

Why did she drive off? Should have stopped immediately, and then maybe agreed on somewhere safer to move to sort things out!

It is clear who was at fault, but a couple of comments on your driving that might help in the future:

With a junction like that where there is a possibility of someone not seeing you, or misjudging your speed/intentions, and pulling out at the wrong time, I will normally drive through it with my foot on the brake pedal, saves half a second if you do need to press it, maybe a bit more if you weren't ready, and in this case even quarter of a second would have avoided a collision. There are far more near misses than accidents, and you can move a lot of potential accidents into the near miss category by being ready to act.

You said "I tried to swerve to the right" - a vehicle will always slow faster in a straight line, there are situations where it makes sense to turn, but in this case I think it would have been best to just press the brake as hard as possible, let the ABS take care of the braking, and keep straight to give the ABS best grip. That should always be the first action, only turn once you have had time to think and have worked out that it will help. In this case, once you had time to think you didn't have time to act so best to just continue full braking in a straight line. If you had turned immediately then you would have had less braking available and the collision would have been worse, also the other driver may have seen you and hit the brakes, even though that would have made things worse, in that case you could not have avoided a collision and the slowest collision possible would have been preferable - brakes first.

Not your fault so don't feel bad about it.

Why did she drive off? Should have stopped immediately, and then maybe agreed on somewhere safer to move to sort things out!
But the thing is if you watch the video before the taco pulls out she could have saw me if she actually stopped instead of faking a stop. I wasn't behind any bends or trees during when the taco pulled out because if you freeze the video at 0:06 while the taco was in the middle then you could have saw that she could have looked at both directions of traffic instead of pulling out like her friend did. The taco actually stops because he has no choice but if you look right after the taco pulls out then you can see she barely even looked at the stop sign and at a T intersection the traffic crossing has right of way. I just don't get why she had to rush just to be behind her friend. If you slowed down the video 0.05 speed you can clearly see she jumped the stop sign. I know I was in the right and she was in the wrong but I was just getting of work so I was pissed and now I might not have a job on monday because theres no extra company car. If that does happen then I will be sure damn pissed alright.

Well here a stop sign means you must come to a full stop before you proceed, that guy from the right did not do that, if we just have the yield triangle then you don't have to stop completely, so the STOP signs are mainly used in places where visibility are poor or a lot of accidents happen.

Many / most Danes don't get STOP signs at all.

Is there a question of who's at fault? Failure to yield right of way + failure to obey a traffic control device

Well it is only natural to question what happened some times, and if "i" could have done something to prevent that,,,,, at least for sane people.
But without knowing the American traffic code i think the camera car are in the safe here, and when in doubt always ask.

They did not stop at the stop sign = their fault. Could also add failure to yield right-of-way and perhaps even reckless driving to that. And if they drove away after the crash let's go for leaving the scene of an accident too. But here in SC they would likely be charged with only one offense (or two if they left the scene). Which goes a long way to explaining why people drive so badly here :(

With my big van, in traffic I almost always have my foot hovering over the brake pedal like Nigel suggests, both to reduce reaction time and because I need extra stopping space or time (or both). That heel rests on the floor with a very slight distance to the pedal maintained so I'm not riding the brakes. It makes a big difference but it does take some getting used to. I've also learned that if you have to swerve to miss someone, turn behind them because if you go in front of them that space is decreasing while the space behind them is increasing because of their movement. This is a hard habit to learn since when you begin to react, the bigger space is almost always in front of them so that's where your instincts will tell you to go. With both these tricks in your pocket this crash could probably have been avoided but that's never a certainty- all you can really do is make your odds better.

Phil

When i drive a automatic, i do it 1 legged and so just use my right foot to speed up or brake.
I have some times tried to use the left foot on the brake in my own stick shift car, and its as hard and strange to do as operating both the throttle and brake with the right foot pretending to be a all that rally driver keeping the turbo boost up.
Really my left arm/hand and leg / foot, they are only good for crude work, anything needing any form of feel or accuracy and i have to use my dominant right side.

But the thing is if you watch the video before the taco pulls out she could have saw me if she actually stopped instead of faking a stop. I wasn't behind any bends or trees during when the taco pulled out because if you freeze the video at 0:06 while the taco was in the middle then you could have saw that she could have looked at both directions of traffic instead of pulling out like her friend did. The taco actually stops because he has no choice but if you look right after the taco pulls out then you can see she barely even looked at the stop sign and at a T intersection the traffic crossing has right of way. I just don't get why she had to rush just to be behind her friend. If you slowed down the video 0.05 speed you can clearly see she jumped the stop sign. I know I was in the right and she was in the wrong but I was just getting of work so I was pissed and now I might not have a job on monday because theres no extra company car. If that does happen then I will be sure damn pissed alright.
If you want to stay safe, and with an undamaged vehicle, it is not sensible to assume that everybody else will always drive either perfectly or legally!
A few easy precautions can avoid a lot of inconvenience.

You had the right of way because you were the oncoming traffic. Not sure of speed but irrelevant being the person making the turn should have waited at the stop sign till you passed.

???????????

Not sure I understand the question !
Fault lies with the person failing to stop and drive safely ...

If your wondering if you could have avoided the accident ? Then I would say yes , it was avoidable !
Your reaction time was not very good .. ( To the prevailing circumstances )

I drive a car like I am surrounded by 4 year old children trying to commit suicide ! ( Probably why I hate driving - simply can not trust anyone - not even one self )
Too many out there that lack the skill to operate a lethal weapon .

Hehe for sure i do my best to plan my driving for outside of peak hours, it is no longer good for my blood pressure, and since i have changed from calm and easy going to confrontation seeking, i think it is best if i do that.
A guy driving a car was threatened by another guy with a knife just 4 days ago, sadly it wasent me or i would have some nice footage to share.
Funny thing is the guy with the knife was a 35 - 40 YO Danish guy, where i would have guessed teenager dago anytime.

The stress levels seem to be going through the roof ...
Roads designed 50 years ago for traffic levels reached 20 years ago ..
As well taxing bad drivers is pretty much a proven no show as far as improving driver skills go !
So as long as the powers that be are simply happy to collect revenue from bad drivers , we will continue to have bad drivers ..

Back