Whoosh! Moron in a hurry I-96, Michigan

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
Michigan has some changeable electronic signs on the highways. The text I saw today was something like '19000 accidents due to speed so far this year.'

This guy was probably responsible for a few of them.

mi.JPG

I have had a few people pass me on the shoulder, but not like this. Too bad the offenders can't be ticketed from dash cam video.

I've seen stuff like this before but usually there's a cop car hot on their butt....

I see shoulder drivers every other week, but only two cases where the police was around
we need more unmarked police cars.

The ones i mentioned were crooks trying to flee the cops, not impatient, entitled people avoid slow traffic. :)

in Houston and other coastal texas cities, we have "Hurricane Lanes". The shoulder on both sides, and sometimes lanes on opposing sides, are marked with big blue and white hurricane symbols to indicate that it's legal to use them as a lane of traffic during an evacuation. https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/division/traffic/safety/weather/hurricane-contraflow.html

when i was trying to evacuate for hurricane Ike, we (evacuees) not only used all the paved shoulders, but the grass, too. and it was still insanely slow. i never got much above idle in 2nd gear. it took me about 8 hours to get to the point where i realized i was not going to make it out of town before running out of fuel, so i turned around and went back home to batten down the hatches... it took me 30 minutes to get home. :mad:

this didn't look like a hurricane evacuee though...

The US Interstate Highway system was an Eisenhower-era project designed so that in the event of a nuclear war, people could evacuate the big cities quickly. When you see how hurricane evacuations go with days of lead-time instead of hours or minutes, it's a pretty good thing we didn't need them for their original purpose :eek: Here in SC during hurricanes we close the inbound side and put outbound traffic there almost from the start as they've found that this is the only way that works. We learned from Hugo and we've done OK since then. Relief supplies and emergency workers go in early, then all lanes go out outbound only until the weather makes the roads impassible. You stay ahead of the game or you lose the game. It's one of the few things our government gets right around here :rolleyes:

Phil

Back