Who's looking forward to the new 622 coming out?

When I look back at my old 402 and 412 they would have benefitted from IS. When you look at the footage you don't immediately realise until you look closely at the parked windscreen wipers how much vibration is transferred to the dashcam via the ball joint system.

The 412 footage was good on smooth motorways but not so on poorly maintained town and country roads.

Take the dashcams that have a solid mount and they stay rock solid regardless of road surface and the wipers and dash don't appear to vibrate.
Problem is that EIS doesn't work well for this type of vibration, it is good for unsteady hands where it can source the image from different parts of the image sensor to correct for the movements, but the high frequency vibrations you get in cars that cause motion blur over a small number of pixels can only partially be corrected, EIS can't undo the blurring of the pixels, only correct their position, especially at night when the pixels can get seriously blurred by the vibration due to lower shutter speeds.

The answer to vibration on a dashcam is to use a solid, vibration free mount, then you can use the full sensor resolution for plenty of detail. As you point out, there are plenty of dashcams that succeed and prove that it can be done.

They will say that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. They always do!
My guess would be that it's a really bad typo in the spec. Well, I hope so anyway.
Bread was more interesting, more healthy, and more tasty before it came sliced!

original

It would be nice if it was indeed 4K, and hardware that are 1 upping current 4K hardware, if they just keep making 4K as it is now from a few brands thats no good ( well for me anyway )
Yes, we need some competition, currently Viofo has no reason to update their somewhat outdated 4K sensor because their A129 Pro already has the best 4K image quality! There are better sensors now, but we need competition to force their use...

Just had a visit with my quad-flying friend who tells me that DJI now has a 1 inch sensor in one of it's top models. So I suspect it won't be too long (few years) before it filters down to dashcams. That's what we really need- a far bigger advancement than 4K and the small sensors we have now.

Phil

I’d love to get it and try it out, but I’m not finding it for sale in the US yet

It finally released in the US. I got my hands on one and swapped it out with my 522. First impressions... it’s a wast of money! I can not recommend it at all! I’ll list a few issues I’m having

1: the rear camera does NOT operate at 1080 with the 622 at 4K. I have to drop the 622 to 1440/30 to get 1080 out of the rear

2: the app keeps dropping the connection to the 622 every 10-30 seconds. It makes the app unusable

3: the image stabilization totally sucks. It causes the image to float around with a wavy effect. The image looks way better with it turned off, even though it shakes a little

4: I instantly noticed a dark brownish orange hue in the image. It looks terrible compared to the 522 or even the rear cam. I messed with the filter and it only slightly improved it

I guess I should have known better after all the problems I had with the 522. I think the 622 should be priced at half what it is

1: 4K + 720 P ????? that sound strange, is it build with a inferior / old SOC.
2: Thats also bad in these APP days, personally i dont use such things much.
3: A dashcam should not use EIS, it can mean your image float around, i have seen this using my dji Osmo action on my windscreen and forgetting to disable its EIS
3A: It seem like they are still using too flimsy a mounting system, the "jello effect" in footage are extremely annoying.
4: it do seem like different sensors are tuned different even in the same camera, i see that clearly at night in the Zenfox T3 i am testing, the front camera lean towards a more blue tint where as the rear camera are firmly on the yellow side.

Of course i have my headlights on but disregarding those i still feel the rear camera are way more yellow.

It finally released in the US. I got my hands on one and swapped it out with my 522. First impressions... it’s a wast of money! I can not recommend it at all! I’ll list a few issues I’m having

1: the rear camera does NOT operate at 1080 with the 622 at 4K. I have to drop the 622 to 1440/30 to get 1080 out of the rear

2: the app keeps dropping the connection to the 622 every 10-30 seconds. It makes the app unusable

3: the image stabilization totally sucks. It causes the image to float around with a wavy effect. The image looks way better with it turned off, even though it shakes a little

4: I instantly noticed a dark brownish orange hue in the image. It looks terrible compared to the 522 or even the rear cam. I messed with the filter and it only slightly improved it

I guess I should have known better after all the problems I had with the 522. I think the 622 should be priced at half what it is

@Trax95008

First up before doing anything below: Check for updates to the firmware - there is one already.

Now...

1) I don't have a rear camera so can't really suggest anything there except try unplugging it and resetting the 622, then plug the rear in again and check the resolutions.

2) The app isn't designed to use in LIVE mode except for checking/updating settings. If you're using it as a viewing aid, you should stop doing this - it's not designed to streamthe cam to the phone (if it's an iPhone, there are often problems with Apple phones and dashcams I believe).

3) I can't say I saw this when I tried it. Again, reset as in 1) and check again.

4) I'd like you to try something for me if you have the chance. Put your phone screen to full brightness and put the phone to Google home page (it's bright white so is good for this test). Then while looking at the mobile's white screen through the 622GW's screen, rotate the CP until the white screen turns black. Now this will now show lots of dashboard reflection in your video but it should remove the discolouration completely (or near as damn it). If it does, then try while looking at the 622GW's screen rotating the CP so the total opposite reflection occurs - i.e virtually nothing, and then check the video colours and report back.

Paul.

2: Instead of dropping bitrate like some cameras can do when wifi is on, could be the 622 dropped rear camera resolution instead ??

2: Instead of dropping bitrate like some cameras can do when wifi is on, could be the 622 dropped rear camera resolution instead ??
you can get quite good results from Ambarella in single channel configurations, they don't do dual channel well though so it may be a chipset limitation

I’m not using my phone as a “viewing aid” to watch a live feed. I’m talking about just using it to adjust settings. I only get enough time to adjust 1-2 things before it will drop the connection. First, the app is meant to be used to change settings and to view recorded footage. It shouldn’t disconnect. Second, I didn’t have this issue with my 522... so there’s no excuse. It should just work. Also, WiFi has nothing to do with the image of the rear cam. I’m downloading the footage to my phone and playing it back locally. There is clearly a difference when looking at the rear cam footage when the 622 is set to 4K vs 1440

I'm not a techie, these were just ideas to consider.

Truthfully, just quite literally 15 minutes ago, I downloaded a 2 minutes long 4k file from the cam to my phone and it took less than sixty seconds I reckon.

Transfer was swift and error free. That's all I can say really. No issue with the WiFi on mine.

I haven't tried altering settings via the app but I did use it to set the right viewing position in live view and that too was 100% working for me.

My transfers are super quick also. I think it’s the Bluetooth that’s dropping. Not WiFi. If you simply open the app and look at settings, your only using Bluetooth at that point. WiFi only connects if you want to view footage. I can’t even look at the setting for more than 10 seconds before it drops

Best contact their support team then, someone there will be better placed than me.

Hope they can sort something for you m8

I have contacted them. It’s the same runaround I’ve been getting from them ever since I got my first nextbase cam a long time ago. They just act like they have never heard of the problem before, they tell you to “reset the device” bla bla bla nothing ever gets fixed. I’ve had a few emails from them now on these issues and haven’t gotten anywhere yet.

Just noticed they've changed the sensor res to 8 megapixel. Afew months ago it said 5.49 megapixel as a few comments above. Hmmm interesting..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201008-082521_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20201008-082521_Word.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20201008-082821_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201008-082821_Samsung Internet.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 9
Back