Why are Amazon and eBay prices so much higher?

silencio

Reaction score
Country
United States
Usually I am able to find as good or better deals for just about anything on eBay, but not for this camera. I had thought this situation would improve over time, but it actually seems to be getting worse. Does anybody know why? What is preventing eBay and Amazon sellers from getting their usual deals on the Xiaomi Yi?

There are many reasons and one of them I believe is % seller has to pay to ebay/amazon.

There are many reasons and one of them I believe is % seller has to pay to ebay/amazon.
If that were the reason then everything on those sites would have higher prices than elsewhere on everything, and that is just not true - in fact most items can be found as cheap or cheaper on eBay as anywhere else. Sellers' fees are a small percentage of the selling price.

If that were the reason then everything on those sites would have higher prices than elsewhere on everything, and that is just not true - in fact most items can be found as cheap or cheaper on eBay as anywhere else. Sellers' fees are a small percentage of the selling price.
As I said @ "ONE of the reasons", not "THE one and only reason".

Usually I am able to find as good or better deals for just about anything on eBay, but not for this camera. I had thought this situation would improve over time, but it actually seems to be getting worse. Does anybody know why? What is preventing eBay and Amazon sellers from getting their usual deals on the Xiaomi Yi?

Two things - Amazon and eBay are starting to get scared about the amount of tax evasion they help facilitate and one of my friends who runs and import/export shop on eBay got an email from eBay the other day warning them that if they are found to be violating any VAT/Tax laws it is a one strike and your out policy. I've also heard they have started to crack down on Chinese sellers (if you look on the import/export forums you can see a few posts already about this). Basically saying unless you provide a VAT number whatever price you charge we will take 20% and pass it onto customs...I'm not sure if this has been implemented yet but I know there has been talk of this.

Also the Xiaomi is not a very well made camera regarding reliability and construction quality (as we all know), and whilst there is a real good community for modifying it, most people won't do this. Most people want a fantastic camera at a budget price, and when things go wrong they return it and want another. This is a double loss for the seller so maybe more and more are realizing they just can't make money off it.

PS
Sorry I mis-read your location as United Kingdom but in fact it is United States. So the first point about VAT is probably not relevant but the second could be.

also eBay is the place of best immediate trade, where also absolute rogues make money, hence aMazon has way better policies for product guaranties and consequently higher prices

Reactions: Mtz
It has to be the fees. I know for stores they are lower, but for private sellers they are extremely high on eBay (don't know about Amazon though).
If I am not mistaken, last time I sold something it was 10-11% eBay fee + 3.5% PayPal fee.
Not surprised prices on other sites are 20-30% lower as far as YI and pretty much any other action cam is concerned.
eBay is great for buyers, but from my experience not that good for sellers (at least small, private ones).

I don't buy it, 11-15 percent seller fees doesn't add up to the 40%+ markup that I've seen. You can get the camera for $62, yet the cheapest you can find it on Amazon is $88.

Doesn't matter in the end, but I really want to use these Amazon gift cards I have on Xiaomis :(

I don't buy it, 11-15 percent seller fees doesn't add up to the 40%+ markup that I've seen. You can get the camera for $62, yet the cheapest you can find it on Amazon is $88.

Doesn't matter in the end, but I really want to use these Amazon gift cards I have on Xiaomis :(

Maybe because these sellers actually offer after sales service and need to make a living? If you want the cheapest go with the cheapest, not everything is a race to the bottom in price.

apparently the people working in your country won't work for Chinese salaries, what's up with that ;)

the cost of running a business is great deal different in China compared to other countries, there's a lot more than just the product that makes up the COGS (cost of goods sold) for a business

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Yi Action Camera 6
I Yi Action Camera 40
Back