Why can't cars come with DVRs?

rsilvers

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Audi has two front cameras, a camera on each side, and a camera on the back from the factory. None of them record to a DVR. They should.

If everyone hear writes to, say, Tesla and asks them for this as a feature, maybe they will do it. And then maybe other car companies will copy Tesla.

The cams installed for driving assistance and safety are generally not located where they would 'see' much of what you need to document traffic incidents. Some car makers are beginning to offer dashcams though, and more will likely follow soon ;)

Phil

The cams installed for driving assistance and safety are generally not located where they would 'see' much of what you need to document traffic incidents. Some car makers are beginning to offer dashcams though, and more will likely follow soon ;)

Phil
But not in germany as we read here camera policy there:p

My Audi has two front cameras, a camera on each side, and a camera on the back from the factory. None of them record to a DVR. They should.

If everyone hear writes to, say, Tesla and asks them for this as a feature, maybe they will do it. And then maybe other car companies will copy Tesla.

I don’t know what Tesla is or isn’t doing in this realm, but BMW is onto some seriously next level stuff.

Their 2017 Surround View system creates a 3D/360 degree computerized model in real time, which means your immediate surroundings, whether parked or moving, are captured by 4 cameras and translated into a computerized and navigable model ... in real time and in amazing detail. That’s plain nuts. They’re using this system for parking purposes, but its cross-functional use as a built-in 4-way cam with the added bonus of a 360 degree computerized worldview would seem to be a cinch. They’ve been refining it for years and I’d guess they’re well ahead of everyone else when it come to this.

Not the best of videos, but this gives you an idea, especially around 1:15 parked with people walking by and at 8:45 while moving.

Last edited:

For driving assistance, the cameras do not need to be colour cameras, they don't even need to be monochrome, what they need to record is depth information, the distance to what is in front of them so that the computer can build a 3D model of its environment. Such a camera does not give a desirable dashcam image so you need separate colour cameras for the dashcam and rear view mirror cameras that are intended for human viewing.

Maybe the real reason for a lack of inbuilt dashcams is that a dashcam doesn't enhance safety, thus the car does not score any higher in its NCAP test.

Maybe the real reason for a lack of inbuilt dashcams is that a dashcam doesn't enhance safety, thus the car does not score any higher in its NCAP test.

And as someone has mentioned before, there probably isn't good advertising in showing your shiny new car model being involved in a crash :p I believe that they will become a nearly universal option soon, but not one which is heavily focused on ;)

The vast majority of drivers don't want recording of any kind, and manufacturers have zero reason to offer a feature like that.

Corvette does have a built in dash cam option marketed as being for recording races

It's probably a legal issue.

There are certain US states have laws forbidding recording of audio unless both parties are aware. For an Uber driver it's not a big deal posting a sign inside a car notifying customers. For most consumers they are not going to tolerate that.

Video recording is in a grey zone in some parts of the world. Google had some legal issues with street view on google maps. Imagine the headache if a car manufacturer had to disable cameras based on state/country.

Yeah that BMW system are a cool gadget, but that's also it for me, and it is a BMW so its default off the list for me.

And besides if you can not do a simple task like park along a curb, then maybe you should not be driving cuz if you poor curb parking is a mirror of your driving in any other way, then please dont drive.
Besides as i understand it if you cant perform that simple task in most countries you will fail the driving test.

So i see such a system as a fallback for people that do not want to better them self thru practice and dedication, as a new driver you are not supposed to avoid things hard for you, you should seek them out and learn from your mistakes, to become a better driver.

Last edited:
Now i am thinking of those spring curb feelers that Americans once put on their cars.
e9d2abe5101e80c42b84170a3895ef79--cat-whiskers-side-walk.jpg

Almost as silly as that aircon on that car in the picture,,,,,, yes that big crome thing in the door window that's actually a aircondition.

Yeah that BMW system are a cool gadget, but that's also it for me, and it is a BMW so its default off the list for me.

And besides if you can not do a simple task like park along a curb, then maybe you should not be driving cuz if you poor curb parking is a mirror of your driving in any other way, then please dont drive.
Besides as i understand it if you cant perform that simple task in most countries you will fail the driving test.

So i see such a system as a fallback for people that do not want to better them self thru practice and dedication, as a new driver you are not supposed to avoid things hard for you, you should seek them out and learn from your mistakes, to become a better driver.

I can show you women and men drivers in my area (all day long) that can't park correctly in any parking spot! It's either they can't drive or they just don't give a damn! I mean parallel park, pull in straight park like a strip mall parking area, or a parking lot full of just parking spaces. Unbelievable!!!!!!
A device like in that BMW would be a joke to them!

Yeah its sad that so many people expect just about anything to be served for them on a platter, and if it isent they cant be bothered.
And sadly the numbers in this demographic group are just exploding, giving me a bleak look on the future of mankind.

Its not so bad other places, but here in Denmark the functioning people will have to carry those people thru life like we already have done with so many people since the mid 70ties.
it would be far better if people like that was just allowed to perish on their own accord, but here even the saddest SOB are entitled to some / a lot help. ( though that help system are also failing now as it have been undermined for decades, and that's pretty sad for the actual unlucky people that need that system to work for them )

My nice borrowed her mothers car and made a dent in it, my instant reaction was to force her to drive my car, and tell her i just expect you to be as good as you can be / do your best, and nothing more.

Last edited:
Someone just opened their door and dented my 2018 Audi Q7 Prestige. Only a complete and total moron flings their door open without holding it under control as they open it. Even my seven year old daughter carefully opens her door. I wish I saw them do it. My car has 360 camera, and if it were recording, I would know a lot more about who did it. As for scraping wheels when parking, you don't have to be a moron to do that since you can't see the front wheel / curb when parking.

Back