Why can't we have a 'Rear Only' view option?

gcm1403

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why can't we have a 'Rear Only' view option for those of us that have paid out for the rear camera as well?
Then the rear camera image would be of some use other than just for playback, as it's too small and therefore useless as a Picture-in-picture display!
I'm thinking it's a commercial decision by Nextbase as they probably sell rear parking cameras, as it must be a very simple Firmware upgrade.

It shouldn't only be an option when it first detects the camera, but an actual Option on the menu, to permanently select it.
Even better an option that allows you to toggle between front and rear when live, so for example, pressing 2 specified buttons at once initiates the switch to rear from front and vice-versa.

Can we have this please??

Why can't we have a 'Rear Only' view option for those of us that have paid out for the rear camera as well?
Then the rear camera image would be of some use other than just for playback, as it's too small and therefore useless as a Picture-in-picture display!
I'm thinking it's a commercial decision by Nextbase as they probably sell rear parking cameras, as it must be a very simple Firmware upgrade.

It shouldn't only be an option when it first detects the camera, but an actual Option on the menu, to permanently select it.
Even better an option that allows you to toggle between front and rear when live, so for example, pressing 2 specified buttons at once initiates the switch to rear from front and vice-versa.

Can we have this please??
You can, when recording press the mode button and you will have full screen rear view only.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

Well I’ll certainly test that.

The o ly drawback is you have to press the mode button whilst it is recording each time you want rear view only.

An update with the option to have rear only would be useful for some people I guess.

if only that damn rearview mirror wasn't in the way :eek:
[emoji23] Personally I can't see the point of having it on rear view only as that's what the rear view mirrors are for.

Mine is hidden behind my rear view mirror anyway so as it's not obstructing view anywhere on the windscreen anyway.

I'm fitting one soon for a colleague and it's got reversing guide lines on it on a screen that is really far tok small to be used for reversing. Not a nextbase item some cheap rubbish he bought off wish.

my personal opinion is if you want a rear view camera for reversing I think a larger screen is needed, even if the 2” screen from the front DVR was visible I think it’s too small to be able to pick out small obstacles behind the car

I have one connected to my ICE unit and even then I still use my mirrors a lot

there may be 1080 OEM reversing cameras but most would be 640 x 480, my daughters Mercedes 220 C class has a built in reversing camera what looks like a better (maybe 1080) resolution than my rear view camera that plugs by RCA in to the ICE unit (I think I read somewhere RCA plug max res was 640 x 480)

now if I could split the signal from the rear A129 camera in to my ICE unit I wonder if that would work, the unit has external USB plugs and has a DVR app, but I think the app is for the low res RCA type of rear view camera, maybe worth looking in to, if so maybe worth buying another A129 rear DVR to use as a reversing camera and fit it lower down, I wish I was better at electrics :)

Last edited:
Mine is hidden behind my rear view mirror anyway so as it's not obstructing view anywhere on the windscreen anyway.
In UK, according to the law' you are not allowed to put anything that obstructs your view within the swept area of the wipers (that includes fluffy dice). But I suspect that law is frequently 'bent' if the item is 'hidden' behind a compulsory item such as the rear view mirror if fitted.
640x480 resolution is plenty high enough for a reversing camera. What do you want? High definition pictures of the wall that you just hit.
To get things in perspective a 1080 HD cam will fill a 55" TV at pretty damn good detail level.
Only if you need to 'blow up' a small area of a 640 x 480 frame do you run into resolution problems, but a reversing cam? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! about the rear view mirror earlier.

I have a small van (VW Caddy) with bulkhead.
This would be a relatively easy way to give me some rear visibility for parking etc.
Better than at present.

But still illegal to stick the 'monitor' in the 'middle' of your windscreen.
You can get some really cheap reversing cameras with a 4" display that can be mounted on the dash somewhere.

A dedicated reversing cam is much, much better for this and the cost these days is quite cheap :cool:

Also use your mirrors and look directly where possible anyway because a cam can't see everything- the idea is to enhance safety, not to trade one limited method for a different one which also has limits ;)

Phil

Back