why do I need "event" recording while the car is on?

bentz69

Reaction score
Country
United States
New owner here trying to sort through all the options of the 650.

If my 650 is constantly recording both front and rear cameras at all times while the car is on, then what is the purpose of having the g sensor (normal mode) "on" in any position (1-99)? If I turn all 3 options in the g sensor normal mode to zero, the camera will still be recording constantly but just label the files as "N" correct? So whats the point of needing the g sensor (normal mode) at all?

Just a few other things Ive noticed. Is it safe to say that no matter what the value of motion detection is while in parking mode (as low as 1), the camera is going to record almost everything that comes into view?

Im using the power magic pro set to 6 hours and 12.5v. Does that mean that my camera is going to stay on for either 6 hours or if voltage drops to 12.5 while the car is off (whichever comes first)? I also turned off motion detection (set to zero) but have the g sensor (parking mode) set high to 85 in all 3 sections. My thinking is that the camera was recording every car that drove past my driveway while the car was off because of the motion detection. I thought that was pointless. But since the g sensor was on, any movement that happened to the car whether in the driveway or parking lot (door bangs etc) would still be recorded. I guess the downside to this is if someone were to key or scratch your car, having motion detection off wouldnt record this. Maybe its better to let the camera do its thing and constantly record using motion detection.....?

Sorry if my questions are all over the place

Event files are separate from the regular files so they don't get overwritten during normal recycling process

Event files are separate from the regular files so they don't get overwritten during normal recycling process
''

Ok I understand that. On the other hand, since I have a 128gb card, in theory it would take a minimum of 17 hours of data (highest hd setting) to go through the entire card to overwrite an "event" that just happened. I guess that would provide me enough time to review the card if i turned off the g sensor correct?

128gb card will give you way more than 17hrs generally. Check the recording calculator on the site to be sure. Either way....it records and finally fills the card and starts overwriting in increments that you have preset...say 3 or 5 minutes increments. If the event is "locked in", either manually by pressing the event button or by the g-sensor, then the file is immune to the overwrite. It doesn't get deleted until you delete it specifically or format the card. Here's what it all comes down to....with a 128 gb card you have space & time on your side as long as your are conscious and not in an ambulance on the way to the hospital....expect the unexpected and plan for the unplanned. It's prudent to keep the G-sensor on. That being said, I have motion detection and always keep it off...I just let it record constantly and turn everything off when I park in my garage. Your situation may ne different if you street park and you may have a need to use motion detect if you plan on parking there for a time that's over cap on your card.

Yep, and if you do take a trip to the hospital even just to get checked out, you could easily be a couple days before you can get access to the car in the tow lot. If dropped facing a highly trafficed road the parking mode motion sense could write and write and write...

Its that sort of low probability series of events that having Event files locked is good for...

ok I understand what you guys are saying. My car has a stiff supsension and even with the g sensor set to 10, I still get lots of events from bumps in the road. Any suggestions?

Suspension much be really really stiff or horrible roads - I set my events to 20 and don't get flooded with events. Set it to 5.

I know this topic is a couple of month old, but if you haven't upgraded FW to anything else than 1.004 it will constantly records the events of your stiff suspension. I had the same problems with the defualt settings for G-sensors on that firmware, upgraded to 1.007 (latest of june 30th, 2017) and it went away. Also the events for closing doors are more firm to the sensors now. Before it captured every time i closed the door, no matter how "silent" i did it.

With FW 1.007 i set the Motion Detection to 7 (street parking) and G-sensors (Parking) to 85 for all 3.
G-sensors for NORMAL is default 20,30,30.

If you're anything like me, you can also forget when (and even where) an event took place, for example if its something that happened in front of you as opposed to happening to you, if driving in an area you also might not be familiar with. Being able to save an event file means not having to search through hours of footage to find it

A specific example for me is that I have a separate rear cam and can't reach it to lock files, Something happened behind my car a few days ago, I don't remember exactly which road I was on, I also don't even remember if I was on my way TO work, or FROM work!

Actually event files DO get written over as I was looking for one some time ago and it along with the rest of that days clips were gone.
I understand it writes over normal files first and then event files. I should say I never "Lock" files so that may prevent them being overwritten but in 4 years of camera use have never really had any events worth worrying about

Perhaps Blackvue should consider doing some firmware-upgrade to accomodate for the missing lock of events. It's quite bad that these files get overwritten if the user doesn't get to copy them in time.

For me, the 128GB of memory does it mean that i get 2 full days - actually 2½ - of footage before the oldest clip gets overwritten and therefore i'm quite relaxed about this, as i ususally spot anything happened to my car within 12 hours if it's being parked. Otherwise i'm able to capture this within the nearest future. But examples could be: Get into an accident, forget to download the clips, the cams are constant on and the car is left for days... Then what?

Well, for me, my cams are powered by the Motopark and set to inifinity + 12.0V as to why the cams could keep recording for some time after, before shutting down. This could easily (with a 80A battery) take some time... 2 days at least...

I thought that the event-files was "locked", but it seems this isn't the case, and so, Blackvue has sto step up its game.

Could it be that only limited space is set aside for event files, and if that becomes full, old event files get overwritten by new event files?
That is still unfortunate, but not as dreadful as overwriting event files with normal files would be.

My experience is the firmware doesn't really track Event/Normal/Parking files once they've been stored on the SD. It just sets the filename when writing, and when the card gets full it just overwrites all "old" files, regardless of what "mode" they may be. There's no special handing of Event files at all, which is definitely an odd limitation compared with other dashcam brands.

Back