Why does 60fps bitrate Resolution option(s) become unavailable with rear cam connected?

Scrumpot

Reaction score
Country
United States
60fps option(s) only seem available when front cam is being operated stand-alone. The moment I connect my newly added rear-cam, the resolution menu no longer even provides ANY 60fps options at all any longer. :(

Will this be corrected/updated with a future firmware (downloadable) update perhaps?

Cuz the camera SOC can not handle that much work, it is pretty common in many systems that the main unit can do 60 FPS alone but only 30 with a rear camera connected.

The viofo A 139 can do 60 FPS ( 1440p ) on the front camera and handle its rear 1080p camera too, but connect the interior camera and it fall back to 30 FPS all around.

Cuz the camera SOC can not handle that much work, it is pretty common in many systems that the main unit can do 60 FPS alone but only 30 with a rear camera connected.

The viofo A 139 can do 60 FPS ( 1440p ) on the front camera and handle its rear 1080p camera too, but connect the interior camera and it fall back to 30 FPS all around.
Boo. Kinda what I figured. Somewhat disappointed that max resolution also drops to only 2k though, and loses any/all the 4k options on the front-facing unit while the rear is connected as well.

Yeah.
The B4K is also a cheaper camera so not stuffed with the really good stuff.

Years back i did compare 2 identical cameras with 60 FPS and 30, and really if the 60 FPS camera caught a fleeting plate so did the 30 FPS camera, so i had to dial back my notion that 60 must be the next big thing in dashcams.
I still sort of think it is but in the form of 30 FPS HDR footage.

Yep, it's a lack of processing ability. There might be a chipset which could handle the extra cam without loss of fps speeds and resolution but it would both cost more and also be harder to develop reliable FW for. There are plenty of popular cams equal to it but costing more as well as cams which do worse at an equal or higher price. You don't get what you don't pay for but the B4K is quite good for it's price, with or without the optional rear cam :)

TBH I still run some 1080p30fps cams, and the good ones provide plenty of detail for most purposes, and they are actually better at night than the 2K and 4K cams I have. It's all about getting what you want, and understanding that dashcams are rather basic in nature so that every choice will be a compromise of some other aspect. Once you've gotten your cam you do need to try the different settings yourself to find what you like best. Traffic speeds, the angle of the sun, your car's window characteristics, whether you're using a CPL or not, and more will affect you differently than someone in another situation :cool:

Phil

I do still experiment with 60 FPS when i get the chance during testing, but in general i do use the 30 FPS i also recommend people using.

Back